Son_Of_God29

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Borussia Dortmund
Not sure if this needs a new thread or not but wanted to kmow what happens if Ben Jarman nominates Hawthorn instead of Adelaide as a father/ Son selection in this years Draft

Given Hawks 1st pick in 2016 draft is not until pick 88.
Do they use what points they have remaining and go into a negative points balance to cover Jarman , therefore sliding further down the order in the 2017 draft order.

Or can they just not select him?

If Ben nominates Hawthorn and gets bid on when still worth points Hawthorn can choose to match it or not.

If they do, the points will come off the pick in the corresponding round in 2017 as they don't have any picks worth points this year.

If they don't match it, he goes to the nominating club.

To add an extra wrinkle, Ben can nominate both Hawthorn and Adelaide but in a given order. If he nominates Hawthorn then Adelaide, Adelaide will get a chance to match the bid if Hawthorn refuses.

Sep 15, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If Ben nominates Hawthorn and gets bid on when still worth points Hawthorn can choose to match it or not.

If they do, the points will come off the pick in the corresponding round in 2017 as they don't have any picks worth points this year.

If they don't match it, he goes to the nominating club.

To add an extra wrinkle, Ben can nominate both Hawthorn and Adelaide but in a given order. If he nominates Hawthorn then Adelaide, Adelaide will get a chance to match the bid if Hawthorn refuses.

Thanks. Clears it all up for me.

I doubt he will nominate Hawthorn and if he does, I doubt they'll go into a massive deficit...

Vikingblood

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 4, 2012
Catfish City
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thanks. Clears it all up for me.

I doubt he will nominate Hawthorn and if he does, I doubt they'll go into a massive deficit...

He should be late second or early third round selection. More romance about him than desperation for his playing talents although he does have great skills. Tyson Edwards lad Jackson is the one we're hanging on for his abilities.

Draft mad

Debutant
Jul 28, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Pick 88 isn't even worth any points. Highly unlikely he will fall through to a pick worth 0 points

FyfeToAdelaide

Club Legend
May 18, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
If hes bid on any sooner than pick 54 and had nominated hawks they would go into deficit next year if they took him.

If he is a late 2nd, with the discount we would get him with our future 3rd?

If he's a late 2nd you figure out the number of points that works out to, and then take those off your future 2nd still.

I assume with no refund for any leftovers?

You should get the pick corresponding to the left over points back. It's a downgrade - the points are taken off - not a straight removal, unless the points are more than the pick is worth in which case (I assume as they haven't gone into depth) you then have similar applied to your third rounder.

If someone bids pick 21 in the second round, the points to match gets reduced from 878 to 681 points. If you finish in the bottom nine the following year you'll get those points taken off your second rounder and get a pick back equivalent to the left over points, e.g. finishing 18th will see you lose pick 19 and get pick 51 back.

If you finish in the top nine, your second rounder is worth less than 681 points. If you win the premiership, your second rounder is worth 502 points and the third is 220 so you'll probably give both up and get pick 70 back.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You should get the pick corresponding to the left over points back. It's a downgrade - the points are taken off - not a straight removal, unless the points are more than the pick is worth in which case (I assume as they haven't gone into depth) you then have similar applied to your third rounder.

If someone bids pick 21 in the second round, the points to match gets reduced from 878 to 681 points. If you finish in the bottom nine the following year you'll get those points taken off your second rounder and get a pick back equivalent to the left over points, e.g. finishing 18th will see you lose pick 19 and get pick 51 back.

If you finish in the top nine, your second rounder is worth less than 681 points. If you win the premiership, your second rounder is worth 502 points and the third is 220 so you'll probably give both up and get pick 70 back.

I can tell you enjoy this stuff :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume with no refund for any leftovers?
Leftovers are always put to use aren't they?

also i've heard the discount is capped at a 18 floor.

Pick 18 is (985) divided by 20% = 197 approx.

Example 1/ Mid 2nd round bid.
Bid by Port at pick 31 (606)
606 - 197 = 409 points needed.
IF hawks 2nd is pick 40 (429)
429 - 409 = 20

In: pick 72 + Jarman
Out: pick 40

Example 2/ Early 3rd round bid.
Bid by Crows at pick 43 (378)
378 - 197 = 181 points needed.
IF hawks 2nd is pick 40 (429)
429 - 181 = 248

In: pick 52 + Jarman
Out: pick 40

EDIT: Corrections made. Original calculations was for 25% discount. Adjusted to 20%.

Last edited:
In order for Hawks to get him no one can bid for him before pick 74
Even if your theory is that Hawthorn can't match anything worth points, that kicks in at pick 56, not 74...

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In order for Hawks to get him no one can bid for him before pick 74

There's a 197 point minimum discount so any bid after 56 which is 194 will result in 0 points to match and we can take him with our last pick.

If he's bid earlier we can still take him but will have to use next years first pick for points.

There's a 197 point minimum discount so any bid after 56 which is 194 will result in 0 points to match and we can take him with our last pick.

If he's bid earlier we can still take him but will have to use next years first pick for points.

The pick that corresponds to the round he's bid on.

Let's say for argument sake Adelaide bid on him with 13 and the Hawks match.

Saints hold the Hawks first rounder. Would the discount come of that :huh:

What's the go here?

Nobody's 100% on that one. Lions are in the same position with late bids on their academy kids, having traded their 3rd and 4th rounders to Collingwood.

In Hawthorn's case, IIRC you can only go into deficit equal to or less than the amount of picks you have in the following year. That's the value of 18th + 36th + 54th + 72nd normally (the AFL assumes everyone's going to win the premiership), but in Hawthorn's case you can take away that first one and that only leaves them with 741 points to match - meaning they can't match any bid that leaves them with a deficit greater than that, which is literally any bid before pick 20.

In Brisbane's case it could be more varied:
1) It comes off their later picks.
2) It comes off their early picks.
3) They can't match the bid.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
He is worth a fourth round to rookie pick.
He will most likely nominate Hawthorn, and Adelaide wont call out his name as they dont seem to rate him as much as Hawthorn do.

SA_Hawker

Senior List
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He should be late second or early third round selection. More romance about him than desperation for his playing talents although he does have great skills. Tyson Edwards lad Jackson is the one we're hanging on for his abilities.
From what I hear they are both pretty over rated, especially junior Edwards
I think crows supporters are desperate for a father-son pick up and are seduced by the romance of having an Edwards or a jarman on their list again.
They may turn out to be alright but I have my doubts.

Back