Delisted Ben Keays (2015-2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Keays finding his feet in forward line (Anthony Wingard)
The Brisbane Lions' entertaining 43-point win in Saturday’s NEAFL practice game win over Aspley could help springboard a number of players into the regular Lions’ AFL line-up in 2019.

New-forward Ben Keays was among those who played against the Hornets at Voxson Oval, and proved a class above in the contest, thriving in a new forward-centric role he has honed over the offseason. He finished with a game-high four goal haul while also proving the consummate team player by dishing a few more opportunities to teammates.

Keays, who has trained exclusively as a forward over the summer, said the team’s showing in the game was positive and hoped he and more could push for senior consideration as Round 1 verges closer. “We probably finished the game off fairly well. We started a bit slowly, but we worked our way into the contest.” “I'm playing mostly up forward now so I try to hit the scoreboard every game. That's a little goal of mine and then also to pass a couple off as well,” Keays told lions.com.au.

Since moving inside 50, Keays has relished in training and match simulation, culminating in his performance in the intraclub possibles vs probables game early last month where he too showed his knack for finding the goals. But while goals may be the most tangible product from a forward’s game, Keays was adamant that wouldn’t be the only measurable he aspired to achieve, instead highlighting tackles as his focus.

“I don't want to put a number on the goal numbers, but I want to put a number on the amount of tackles I want to lay,” he said. “Sort of five and above every game is probably a good indicator in that role. “We're big on selflessness so if I can get my five tackles and build from there, I'll be happy.”

web%20insert%20lions%202019%20neafl.jpg

The four-year Lion made just two senior appearances in 2018 and hopes his new role can help him play his best football this time around. In the new role, Keays is afforded more clarity in a role and has worked with forward coaches Jed Adcock and Mitch Hahan to hone his craft, namely his goal kicking and forward pressure.

“It was difficult at first, but I think it's been really good for me,” Keays said of his position transition. “I've loved it to just have a role that I can purely dive in on. I think last year, playing in the midfield I was just trying to rack the ball up and there wasn't a real goal in mind.”

Ben Keays was a standout for the Lions, finishing with 26 disposals and four goals as well as five tackles and eight marks to compliment his stat line. Playing a more forward-orientated role in 2019, Keays said he was loving the opportunity to develop his forward craft this season.

“Just to freshen up and try something different and develop that part of my game and another string to my bow,” he told neafl.com.au Keays spoke highly of the Lions start to the season but was quick to re-affirm seasons aren’t defined in the first month. “Our main message is just play AFL standard, we don’t worry about the scoreboard it will look after itself,” he said.

Good luck Ben ! Sure you will prove many wrong at the cows , hope you get a go ! Always a lion

From the Adelaide Advertiser today:

Adelaide’s newest draftees - mature age pair Ben Crocker and Ben Keays - introduced themselves to their new teammates, hit the training track and then fronted the media on Monday.
Here’s five things we learnt from their joint press conference at West Lakes this afternoon.
Ben Crocker and Ben Keays are happy to be at Adelaide. Picture: AAP Image/Roy Vandervegt
Ben Crocker and Ben Keays are happy to be at Adelaide. Picture: AAP Image/Roy Vandervegt1. The wing is hot property at Adelaide in 2020
Both played half-forward/wing at their former clubs and that’s where they see themselves slotting in at the Crows if given the opportunity.
“I spent last season playing more as a forward and when I’ve gone up to the AFL side I’ve played more forward/wing, but getting drafted as a midfielder I think I’ve added that versatility over time,” Keays said.
“So any role that pops up I think I’m well equipped to do it.”
Crocker added: “I played predominantly in the AFL at the Magpies as a deep or high half-forward, and last year played predominantly as a winger in the VFL side”.
“I’d like to think I’m pretty flexible, can play on the wing and deep or high half-forward.”
2. Hoping for a sudden impact
The two Bens are 22, both were drafted in 2015 and have had a taste of senior footy.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet-icon.svg

Opinions you can't ignore. Watch Rita Panahi 9am Sundays, Sky News. For more
Keays played 30 games at the Lions including two in 2019 and Crocker 26 at the Magpies with three this year.
They both want to put their name up for senior selection as soon as possible with the Crows.
“Both me and Keaysy and the draftees will want to come in and make an impact, but at the same time you don’t want to put expectations on yourself, just let things play out, train hard and hopefully earn your spot,” Crocker said.
Stream over 50 sports live and on demand with KAYO SPORTS. Just $25/month, no lock-in contract. Get your 14-day free trial and start streaming instantly.
Ben Keays will be vying for senior selection in 2020. Picture: AAP Image/Roy Vandervegt
Ben Keays will be vying for senior selection in 2020. Picture: AAP Image/Roy Vandervegt3. Hello Rory Laird
Asked which player they were most relieved to have as a teammate and not the opposition anymore, Keays replied instantly.
“Rory Laird. He plays half-back and I played half-forward and he just racks it up and lets you know about it as well,” he said.
“So, we’ve already had a bit of a laugh about that.”
Crocker said he already knew Tom Lynch, which has made the transition to his new club easier.
“I spoke to a few of the boys before coming here, I have a bit of a family connection to Tommy Lynch which made it a bit easier, but meeting all the boys and the staff this morning is difficult trying to learn everyone’s names, but I’m sure after a week or two it will be sweet,” he said.

4. New coach, new perspectives
Asked what their perspective of the Adelaide Crows was from the outside looking in, Keays said “big and proud”.
“I try not to look too much into it when you’re immersed in another footy club, but for me the Crows are such a respected, proud club with a strong history and a large fan base,” he said.
“Coming from Brisbane, being able to immerse myself in that culture and welcome the expectations of playing for a big club with so many loyal supporters, that’s what I’m looking forward to.”
Ex-Collingwood player Ben Crocker is excited to continue his AFL career at Adelaide. Picture: AAP Image/Roy Vandervegt
Ex-Collingwood player Ben Crocker is excited to continue his AFL career at Adelaide. Picture: AAP Image/Roy Vandervegt
And he believes arriving at the same time as a new coach in Matthew Nicks is perfect.
“I guess it is a clean slate for everyone, everyone starts from scratch and it’s exciting because we get to come in and build the culture with Nicksy and his game style and game plan,” Keays said.
“I saw it at Brisbane having Justin Leppitsch and then transitioning to Chris Fagan, I saw the benefits of that clean slate and everyone having to buy in to a new game style and culture change together.”
5. Rookie draft came out of the blue
Both players spoke to Crows list manager Justin Reid about a month ago but hadn’t heard much since, so were somewhat surprised to have their names read out in the rookie draft.
Keays had signed on to play with the Box Hill Hawks in the VFL next year but happily changed plans.
“When my name got called out it was a pretty welcome surprise,” he said.
“There’s always that part of me that thought I should still be in the AFL and I’m good enough, but at the same time you’ve still got to move on with life.
“So, part of me said ‘move on and let it go’, but there was still that burning desire and to have my name called out was awesome.
“I was at home in Brisbane and the phone started blowing up, I wasn’t following the rookie draft, and the first person who called me was Nicksy.
“He welcomed me to the club, said he was happy to have me and what he expects me to bring.”

Crows rookie Ben Keays ready to seize his second chance
The former Brisbane Lion will forge a new chapter in 2020, closing the book on an enduring association with Queensland's first AFL team

Ben Keays will build a new chapter in his football life in 2020, closing the book on an enduring association with Queensland's first AFL team.

He was always destined to support the Brisbane Lions, following in the footsteps of his late great-grandfather Fred, who played for Fitzroy in the VFL from 1919 to 1921.

As a four-year-old, he witnessed Brisbane claim a breakthrough premiership win over Essendon in 2001. He then cried all the way home after the 2004 decider when the Lions’ run of three consecutive flags came to an end.

Keays then went on to join the Lions Academy as a teenager, ultimately leading to him being drafted by Brisbane with pick No.24 in the 2015 National Draft.

Full article

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah. Great to see him doing well.

I don’t see him having a great deal of improvement and as they progress I can see him being overtaken quite easily but I really hope he continues on and carves our a nice little career.

Really happy he was given another chance. Probably one of the only opposition players I’m happy to see play a good game, even if he does it against us.

Super fit and playing a defensive role initially. A Brett Kirk type footballer is Keays. Credit to him, he has limitations, he has got extremely fit and strong. Had a very good year, reflected by his 5th placing in the B and F.

Yeah. Great to see him doing well.

I don’t see him having a great deal of improvement and as they progress I can see him being overtaken quite easily but I really hope he continues on and carves our a nice little career.

Really happy he was given another chance. Probably one of the only opposition players I’m happy to see play a good game, even if he does it against us.

Boy was I wrong.

Huge today with 38 disposals, 2 goals, 10 inside 50’s, 622 meters gained along with 6 tackles. Huge year too.

Probably a reminder some players just take longer to develop too. Always spoke like a natural leader too.

Boy was I wrong.

Huge today with 38 disposals, 2 goals, 10 inside 50’s, 622 meters gained along with 6 tackles. Huge year too.

Probably a reminder some players just take longer to develop too. Always spoke like a natural leader too.

At this rate, he's already our version of Jarryd Lyons :).
And good on him, hope he goes from strength to strength.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back