Delisted Ben Keays (2015-2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

his celebration when he kicked the goal was absolutely awesome, shows how much he loves the club, trying to rile the boys into action. if only we could get more like him

..looked like he was having quite a bit to say in the huddle too, before the game.

This is not meant to be a play on our slogan, but he seems to really believe he belongs. I'm very impressed.

his celebration when he kicked the goal was absolutely awesome, shows how much he loves the club, trying to rile the boys into action. if only we could get more like him
Im not sure about everyone else. But i sort of got this giddy feeling in my stomach when he slotted that. I imagined what that would mean for me. And knowing we are gonna watch this gun mid the rest of his footy career who loves the club with every bit that he can.

Lion cub not getting ahead of himself

BEN Keays has had one eye-catching game in the big time. And he says it is no time for him — or the Lions — to have big heads after stretching competition powerhouse Sydney to the limit last Sunday. Keays had 11 disposals, nine tackles, a goal assist and kicked a goal on debut as a brave Brisbane went blow for blow with the Swans who hung on for a hard-earned three-point win.

The Lions were spanked by the Western Bulldogs in Round 5 after getting carried away with themselves following the QClash victory a week earlier. Lessons have been learnt at the Gabba with Brisbane coaching staff moving quickly to crush any misplaced complacency ahead of the clash with Port Adelaide on Sunday.

Keays said Brisbane could take confidence from the strong showing against the Swans but still had to bring the same “effort and intent’’ to be any hope at the Adelaide Oval. “Even though we’ve been applauded for our effort, we still lost,’’ Keays said. “That (complacency issue) has (been addressed). Obviously we did play well and Sydney are a very good side but in the end we didn’t get the win so it’s all about moving on. “It’s kind of been one week on and one week off in our preparation this year. “There’s still a lot of things we need to fix up. “Of course it’s winnable but we aren’t going in overconfident, Port Adelaide is a good side. Some results haven’t gone their way but they’ve been a good side for a few years now.’’

5399b5a10fcf843f465fd76ae7c5851a

Real shame about those horror misses against Port, with some coming at crucial moments which may have halted Port's momentum (although Ben was not the only culprit).

Who gives a toss? Swing the axe, Leppa

Perhaps the most damning stat of all from the weekend was that third-gamer Ben Keays, playing the same half-forward role as Taylor, racked up a team-high 12 contested possessions.

Now there's someone who wants to play. In three games, Keays has made 19 tackles. Taylor has made 15 in seven games and Green 14 in five. And the latter pair are out-of-contract and hoping to secure big deals.

Aside from Schache, Ben has been one of the few positives so far in 2016 and looks every much the 200 game player provided he stays grounded like his hero Black and doesn't believe his own hype as I fear Rich has.

Who gives a toss? Swing the axe, Leppa

Aside from Schache, Ben has been one of the few positives so far in 2016 and looks every much the 200 game player provided he stays grounded like his hero Black and doesn't believe his own hype as I fear Rich has.
I lot of our young players look really promising the first year they play then they regress.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keays shouldn't be selected if he can't convert basic opportunities within 40m out. Is a habitual offender and like Merrett, is a momentum killer. Happened tonight in the first, against Melbourne in the 3rd quarter when we were surging back and once or twice in other games.

Love his endeavour, but he is just hurting us more often than not.

Keays shouldn't be selected if he can't convert basic opportunities within 40m out. Is a habitual offender and like Merrett, is a momentum killer. Happened tonight in the first, against Melbourne in the 3rd quarter when we were surging back and once or twice in other games.

Love his endeavour, but he is just hurting us more often than not.

Gee you can be hard on your own mate. Has played 7 games and yes he has some technique issues but but has basically played on ball all his life and now is asked to be played as a defensive forward pocket. One could say at least he gives himself a chance by getting in the right place to get a mark and shot at goal.

How can such a highly rated junior come through the system without having such a flawed set shot routine sorted out?
The issue is that he isn't a long kick similar to Luke Power in that regards. Being a left footer to gain that extra distance he swings out and pulls his leg across his body.

Was at the members training session today.

Keays came around at the end to have a chat to the fans (everyone did)

Ripping bloke, very warm. We're absolutely blessed to have him at the club.

Seems like every promising young player is a future captain. Can imagine Leppa in an Oprah voice..and you get the captaincy..and you get the captaincy..you ALL get the captaincy!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back