Player Watch Ben Keays

Don't mind him as a player. Played well against Port this year. Nice have another left footer on the list.

Relaxed

Senior List
Feb 3, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
BEN KEAYS

While Keays only managed two AFL games this season, his ability to reinvent himself as a small forward at NEAFL level could pay dividends.

A natural ball magnet, Keays averaged 27 disposals from 2016 to 2018 as a midfielder at NEAFL level. He won the Andrew Ireland Medal for best-on-ground in the Lions’ 2017 grand final triumph over Sydney and was one of four Lions players to win the club’s 2018 reserves best and fairest award.

But Keays, 185cm, made the transition to a small forward role in 2019 and thrived, booting 43.19 from 16 games, including six hauls of four-plus goals. He also averaged 20 touches, 4.8 marks and an elite 8.4 score involvements, according to Champion Data.

Keays, who was taken at Pick 24 in the 2015 draft, only recently returned from an overseas holiday to the US, so the process of finding a new footy home will commence shortly. At 22, he still has a burning desire to play on at AFL level, with his versatility — which includes being able to perform defensive roles — set to put him in good stead.

Lynch said Keays was the ultimate professional, adding his workrate and attitude to training can’t be faulted.

“He was a very good midfielder at NEAFL level, but the transition into the AFL was going to be pretty limited in the midfield, so he needed to find something up forward. That’s probably now his best position at AFL level,” he said.

“His pace might be the issue plus continuing to work on being clean with his hands at AFL level, but he finds the ball a lot and, from everything I’ve heard, the way he presents himself and trains, he’s very ‘coachable’.”

Clubs that should consider him: As a versatile player that can play either in the guts or up forward, Keays would be an appropriate fit at Port Adelaide, especially considering he’s only 22. Adelaide might also consider him, while Gold Coast could do with another small forward, which would mean the Queensland product wouldn’t have to move interstate.

BlackGun1

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Qld
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As an immediate family member I can assure you you’ve just drafted a guy who will give 110% every training session, treat every fan and staff member with respect and will be a huge addition to the locker room.

Not blessed with top end talent but has made the very most of what he has. Played some very good junior footy too and showed plenty of improvement at AFL level the last 2 years but couldn’t get a good run at it. Looking forward to jumping on board

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Great rookie roll of the dice. Offers a lot, and the Lions just have too many similar players.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
As an immediate family member I can assure you you’ve just drafted a guy who will give 110% every training session, treat every fan and staff member with respect and will be a huge addition to the locker room.

Not blessed with top end talent but has made the very most of what he has. Played some very good junior footy too and showed plenty of improvement at AFL level the last 2 years but couldn’t get a good run at it. Looking forward to jumping on board
Please pass on our best wishes to Ben. :thumbsu:

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Too slow as a midfielder ......just what we didn't need, another slow player .....Crocker on the other hand, reminds of Scott Welsh ....has very good hands & mark
I'm not sure he's too slow at all, they just replaced him with Neale who's a better player...... and slower

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I'm not sure he's too slow at all, they just replaced him with Neale who's a better player...... and slower
So why was his role confined to a small fwd in the NEAFL ??

Can't have M.Crouch, Sloane & another slow in midfield ....that was amply discussed at the end of the season

Give me McAdam, Stengle, or even Crocker up fwd ......what's Keays #1 wood ?

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
So why was his role confined to a small fwd in the NEAFL ??

Can't have M.Crouch, Sloane & another slow in midfield ....that was amply discussed at the end of the season

Give me McAdam, Stengle, or even Crocker up fwd ......what's Keays #1 wood ?
Keays is quicker than Mrouch and Sloane too.

FantasticShirt

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2010
Melbourne + Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Don’t mind this pick at all. Thought he showed glimpses of afl quality in the games I saw. Decent depth at worst.

Thanks for posting. Good to hear

Back