Delisted Ben Kennedy - BF Sponsor Curse Strikes Again

Remove this Banner Ad

Need a shoop
UCWZUeTYGz_7C3DtiUUlLg9IcUUSMF9gEkTWGIbBtI6kuYG7AeJY5McFvH9_L3HANNXkY4RT2JbpbjnJbEaFl4E2GjiBfRiJ6JhE__Adn0XiHQeKOB7lKKMjhQml=w297-h317-nc

I hope Ben a much loved player at the Demons. Jack Viney and Ben played under 18 together maybe Todd more about Ben than we the supporters do and his potential as a player. I say go Ben

Genuinely disappointed to lose Ben Kennedy. I was just about his biggest fan on the Collingwood board. I think he can be a real player despite his short statue. Wouldn't surprise me if he came back to bite us on the ass, left due to starved opportunities so no bad blood on our end. Lacked confidence without getting a good run of games without being the sub.

Good skills, very good in a contest around contested ball. Don't be too disappointed if you don't know much about him, ill guarantee he'll turn you around! I was desperately hoping Seedsman wanted to come here so we could keep Ben Ken haha. Good luck boys!

#AllTheWayWithBMK
2 presidents in one hashtag, nice.

If anything, I'm at least curious to see how Kennedy goes - given I've hardly watched him. Being a short-arse with speed and hardness he could be our Puopolou up forward.

Extract those head-high frees Ben!

Genuinely disappointed to lose Ben Kennedy. I was just about his biggest fan on the Collingwood board. I think he can be a real player despite his short statue. Wouldn't surprise me if he came back to bite us on the ass, left due to starved opportunities so no bad blood on our end. Lacked confidence without getting a good run of games without being the sub.

Good skills, very good in a contest around contested ball. Don't be too disappointed if you don't know much about him, ill guarantee he'll turn you around! I was desperately hoping Seedsman wanted to come here so we could keep Ben Ken haha. Good luck boys!

Thanks for the info mate. Not sure about the bolded though - everyone else seems to say he really struggles with his kicking. What are you basing your assessment on?

Thanks for the info mate. Not sure about the bolded though - everyone else seems to say he really struggles with his kicking. What are you basing your assessment on?
I think that comes with the confidence he has had at afl level. Look at the vfl and he's a lovely kick, easily consistently 40-45m and generally hits his target. Yet when he went into afl level he went into "impress mode" as he never got a consistent gig. So when he had the ball he was trying to kick the skin off it and attempting things that only the elite can pull off.

With a better run he will get at Melbourne, and the demise of the sub rule I think he will be more cool levelled which will result in cleaner ball use

VFL mostly. One of those players who lit it up in the VFL yet when it came to senior selection had played as if he forgot how to play football. He wasn't helped by not being persisted with for more than a couple of games in a row most of his time with us, but I don't think he'd be anything more than fringe 22 on most AFL lists.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VFL mostly. One of those players who lit it up in the VFL yet when it came to senior selection had played as if he forgot how to play football. He wasn't helped by not being persisted with for more than a couple of games in a row most of his time with us, but I don't think he'd be anything more than fringe 22 on most AFL lists.
I think that comes with the confidence he has had at afl level. Look at the vfl and he's a lovely kick, easily consistently 40-45m and generally hits his target. Yet when he went into afl level he went into "impress mode" as he never got a consistent gig. So when he had the ball he was trying to kick the skin off it and attempting things that only the elite can pull off.

With a better run he will get at Melbourne, and the demise of the sub rule I think he will be more cool levelled which will result in cleaner ball use

Thanks guys. Sounds like he could be promising once he settles into AFL level.

Good luck with Howe - we'll be watching with interest to see if he can get some consistency into his game. If he does that, you've got a good player on your hands.

Hopefully it benefits Kennedy but in general the sub rule is really going to help the smaller midfield/forward types. If you had to take an average position of all players that were the sub in 2015. I'd say that skillset would be the highest picked.

Hope you don't mind me popping in.

I'm really sad we had to let Kennedy go, and while you guys did give up Toumpas I think you got a better part of the deal than us. Kennedy tore it up in the VFL game after game when he was at the Pies, and the only reason he struggled at AFL level was because he was stuck in the sub vest. He has great speed and skill and loves to get stuck and is a tenacious little bugger. He could end up becoming a real asset for you guys if he continues to improve like he was at the pies.

I hope he does really well for you mob :)

I have my doubts (another Ben Newton but cost us more?) but I'm back tracking slightly cause he's a Taylor pick. I trust the man. He's still young and hasn't been given a proper crack at AFL level yet so no clear evidence either way.

Welcome Ben. :thumbsu:

Hope you don't mind me popping in.

I'm really sad we had to let Kennedy go, and while you guys did give up Toumpas I think you got a better part of the deal than us. Kennedy tore it up in the VFL game after game when he was at the Pies, and the only reason he struggled at AFL level was because he was stuck in the sub vest. He has great speed and skill and loves to get stuck and is a tenacious little bugger. He could end up becoming a real asset for you guys if he continues to improve like he was at the pies.

I hope he does really well for you mob :)

Question for you and any other Collingwood guys, whats his tank like? #timetrailsuperstar? Good enough to play midfield all game or the type that should only be played in there in short bursts?

Question for you and any other Collingwood guys, whats his tank like? #timetrailsuperstar? Good enough to play midfield all game or the type that should only be played in there in short bursts?
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ng-his-feet-after-surgery-20140221-337p8.html

Fitness has always been a bit of a knock on him, he had compartment syndrome which is explained in the link above.

He dominates VFL level as an inside mid, good burst of pace and a real terrier getting the ball out of congestion. Perhaps surprisingly given his stature he's quite strong overhead, albeit he's not a leaper. Was more used as a small forward with occasional stints in the middle at AFL level. The sub rule really hurt him as he never really got a proper run at it. Kicking also fell away when stepping up, but it wasn't an issue in the 2s so I reckon it's a combination of fitness and adjusting to greater pace of the game.

Unfortunately for Kennedy the unexpected departure of Beams meant we ended up bringing in 3 bigger bodies and he fell too far down the queue. While Hine rates him as a small forward Blair, Fasolo and Broomhead were all preferred. The hope of many 'pies supporters was Kennedy overtaking Blair. The two are similar players, Kennedy has more pace and more tricks (he kicked a couple of clever goals in one of his last games for us), but at this stage Blair has him covered for defensive efforts and consistency.

I'm basing a lot of my observations on one game I saw him play earlier this year vs Western Bulldogs but he was kicking floaters and seriously lacked composure. Remember Toumpas against Stringer? Similar to that. I think the commentators even politely made reference to his career being at the crossroads.

Nevertheless I hope he can make a good fist of it and his highlights do show he has got some talent, hard at it and a decent left peg. A straight replacement for the Toump seems fair.

VFL player who will probably be de-listed in a couple of years. Barely an upgrade on Riley or Bail.

I really hope this is the case and the fact that he can actually kick the footy well at VFL level at least says he has the ability, albeit being a bit slower paced.

It can be a key component to players picking up confidence at new clubs when they mentally feel that they aren't being scrutinised for every little thing they do on the footy field (or at least prove themselves with every possession). Essentially playing composed football as you suggest.

The pressure to perform will always be there like any player but perhaps a different kind of pressure that he doesn't carry on his shoulders.

So glad the sub rule has gone, it was such a stain on the game.

I think if Kennedy can turn into a short Bernie Vince, and Howe can eat 9 cheeseburgers a day throughout the Pies pre-season, this will be regarded as an epic trade. Also would like to see head-high frees a plenty from this guy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back