Delisted Ben Kennedy - BF Sponsor Curse Strikes Again

Remove this Banner Ad

BenKen has been consistently good at VFL level over the last 4 years. Hasn't quite been able to translate to AFL level. Although last year I thought he took some positive steps. Goody seems to be pushing a few out the door and it's not a bad thing.

BenKen has been consistently good at VFL level over the last 4 years. Hasn't quite been able to translate to AFL level. Although last year I thought he took some positive steps. Goody seems to be pushing a few out the door and it's not a bad thing.

Like a lot of other players who dominate VFL level his disposal wasn't good enough.

“After a solid first year at the club, Ben was unable to break into our AFL team in 2017,” Mahoney told melbournefc.com.au.

“We commend Ben on the way he handled himself through the year, when it can be frustrating not playing at AFL level. In the second half of the season his commitment could never be questioned and he continued to perform strongly at VFL level.”

“We thank Ben for his two years at the club and hope he gets another opportunity at AFL level”

I work in sports media so I'm probably guilty of trying to decipher too much at times. That being said...

"In the second half of the season his commitment could never be questioned and he continued to perform strongly at VFL level.” His commitment could be questioned throughout the first half of the year.

“We thank Ben for his two years at the club and hope he gets another opportunity at AFL level” We believe he is good enough to play AFL, but we don't rate his attitude. We hung on to him until now to see whether he had any trade value, but he didn't, and if he ends up anywhere it will be as a rookie or a DFA

I feel like with the incident his papers where stamped without really having an opportunity to redeem himself. Feels like a waste

What a waste of a year's contract if he was never going to play. I have him ahead of JKH & Kent in terms of both ability now, and future upside, FWIW

I think he's only a fringe player at best, he does have his limitations. I was surprised he didn't play at AFL level this year though so there does seem to be issues we don't know about besides him apparently not telling the club about needing surgery on an injury he didn't tell the club. That would've pissed off the club a bit you'd think. In saying that, good luck to him in whatever he does next.
Why would he hide an injury/surgery im confused....and what was it

He doesn't have more ability than Kent lol.
Not gonna lie i rate kent, but after this last year some would say he's lucky not to get chopped either

He doesn't have more ability than Kent lol.
Agreed, although BenKen has more campaigner in him - which puts them roughly on a par. Which explains why neither of them were getting games this year. Kent better pull his finger out in next year or he'll be next year's Ben Kennedy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Striker475 spill the beans son
Spilt it a few times, but again...

- Got a gig at the season launch last year.
- Went and had a chat to BenKen, figured I should as it was as BF player sponsor.
- Asked him how things were going etc.
- He said late 2016 he hurt his foot.
- Played it down as he didn't want to miss preseason
- Didn't improve
- Came clean to the club
- Turns out he needed surgery
- If he had the surgery he would have missed a month of preseason, instead he struggled through and wasn't up to matches early in 2017.

It did improve with management judging by his VFL form but I suspect the club was pretty shitty with him for that. Then the drinking incident would have stamped his papers I suspect.

How many players have we sponsored only to be delisted come end of season?

Poor BenKen.

Always had a soft spot for the angry little man.

Wasn't really that fussed either way, but his comment about finally getting his nose pierced is a bit naff.

How many players have we sponsored only to be delisted come end of season?
3. Petterd, Barry and BenKen.

Howe was traded but also a flog.

Can we sponsor king or something next year?

For god's sake don't let it be oliver or truck

No!

Doubt we could afford him anyway. Sponsorship prices are on a kind of sliding scale of awesomeness/popularity so for example a Hogan would be a costly sponsorship but a King would be more your cattle-class arrangement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back