Rumour Ben King 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez there is no in between at the Gold Coast. The good ones eventually come home and the players the other side of 30 go there top top up their super at the back end of the career

This is firmly why I firmly believe the Suns need COLA.

He was always destined to play in Victoria. Was never going to last on the Gold Coast with his brother living the Melbourne dream.

Silly draft choice by GC.
Who else could they have taken though?
Of the next few players drafted one was Bailey Smith who had mental/OCD issues and was seen as a 'Vic only' prospect, Thomas and Blakey were tied to clubs already, and the nest two players (Jones and Caldwell) haven't produced anywhere near King's output.

This is firmly why I firmly believe the Suns need COLA.
They do have (effectively) an extra $500k or so 'marketing' allowance which goes to players, and Tom Lynch would have received a huge ambassador payment if he stayed with the Suns (outside of the cap) too.

They definitely do need extra help to retain players though. NRL and Basketball have failed on the Gold Coast so an AFL club staying there is extra difficult.

Last edited:

Essendon do. They would move Mcgrath or Ridley in a heart beat for King. Would throw in a Shiel/Smith for steak knives too.

Saints dont.

other teams would need to be involved.

It would be arguably the steepest trade price ever paid. He kicked nearly 50 this year in a rubbish team.

We wouldn't trade Ridley or McGrath for him, why would we? 2 1st rounders would get offered and accepted if he asked to leave and nominated us.

They do have (effectively) an extra $500k or so 'marketing' allowance which goes to players, and Tom Lynch would have received a huge ambassador payment if he stayed with the Suns (outside of the cap) too.

They definitely do need extra hep to retain players though. NRL and Basketball have failed on the Gold Coast so an AFL club staying there is extra difficult.

Reckon Gold Coast United A League club would have worked out if they weren't owned by such a jackass like Clive Palmer.

The Titans had a relatively successful season in the NRL, hopefully that club has turned a corner.

Obviously St.Kilda in the box seat if he wants to play with his brother.

Cant see him having any interest in going to Collingwood or Hawthorn, as they are looking at 5+ year rebuilds. Richmond wont have the space, Melbourne wont have the space.

North and Carlton both have key forwards who are progressing really well.

Essendon the obvious danger. Would the Bulldogs have a look as a long term target alongside Jammara??
Pies can offer big crowds and big money.

I really feel for Gold Coast. They draft players and those players have often decided they are going to go home no matter what minutes after their names have been called out in the draft.
Its their own fault. Players would stay if it was better but instead they throw big money at bang average players like Ellis and Atkins to stay irrelevant...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its their own fault. Players would stay if it was better but instead they throw big money at bang average players like Ellis and Atkins to stay irrelevant...

You can't get better unless your young players stay and your young players won't stay if you don't get better. Feels like a very difficult situation for Gold Coast to me.

Wrong - We are 100% into him already.

Of course he might not come, but there is plans to try.

Pies and King seem like a natural fit. Jordan De Goey and your first round pick in 2022 would almost be enough to get the deal done imo

You can't get better unless your young players stay and your young players won't stay if you don't get better. Feels like a very difficult situation for Gold Coast to me.
Chicken and egg there and i kind of agree but i feel much less sympathy for them when they do dumb s**t like give Atkins a 5 year deal. Pick 2 for Weller, 5 years big money for Ellis who wouldnt even have been in Tigs best 22 at that point...

All sports die on the gold coast. I doubt this ends any differently tbh

Richmond wouldn't have the cap space I would have thought
Only was I see it happening is back-ended to take advantage of Cotchin, Riewoldt and Edwards retiring by end of 2023 and Dusty earning less after 2024. But then the club still has to manage better deals for the likes of Bolton, Balta, Baker, Stack,...

Chicken and egg there and i kind of agree but i feel much less sympathy for them when they do dumb sh*t like give Atkins a 5 year deal. Pick 2 for Weller, 5 years big money for Ellis who wouldnt even have been in Tigs best 22 at that point...

All sports die on the gold coast. I doubt this ends any differently tbh

They do those crazy deals because they are desperate to sign players who want to be there and who are not likely to run off to another club. I agree it isn't great but given the circumstances Gold Coast just wanted to sign players who wanted to be there, even if they had to pay considerable overs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back