Rumour Ben King 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Just understand that St Kilda did draft someone in the first round of the 2020 draft.
Yes I saw it was pick 21 and did count in the first round.

AFL helped you out there...

You are still required to use two first round picks in the draft in every four years (rolling).

This adds an extra layer of complexity.

Also explains why you had to use Ur first rounder this year.

Last edited:
Yes I saw it was pick 21 and did count in the first round.

AFL helped you out there...

You are still required to use two first round picks in the draft in every four years (rolling).

This adds an extra layer of complexity.
Does it? We have used a first rounder in the past 2 drafts so are free trade away our next 2 first rounders if we want too.

What is the complication?

Does it? We have used a first rounder in the past 2 drafts so are free trade away our next 2 first rounders if we want too.

What is the complication?
Yep true.

You will need to offer two first rounders and finish bottom 8. That's probably about all .

Means betting the house on Ben King because "brother" when everyone knows Ur midfield is s**t.

That's complicated.

Yep true.

You will need to offer two first rounders and finish bottom 8. That's probably about all .
And if he does leave Gold Coast, every single club would expect to pay that. It is the going rate for OOC top tier players.

I suspect he will stay for another 2 years anyway given they are reportedly going to re sign Dew to help keep him.

And if he does leave Gold Coast, every single club would expect to pay that. It is the going rate for OOC top tier players.

I suspect he will stay for another 2 years anyway given they are reportedly going to re sign Dew to help keep him.
Yep agree.

May very well end up a saint.

All I'm saying is it won't be straight fwd.

Maybe he hangs out a bit longer or waits until he is a FA and then moves.

Yep agree.

May very well end up a saint.

All I'm saying is it won't be straight fwd.

Maybe he hangs out a bit longer or waits until he is a FA and then moves.
He won't end up a Saint ..... he may well end up a Saint ...... Saints need to finish in bottom 10 .... Saints need to finish in the bottom 8 ..... Saints need to finish in the bottom 6 ..... Saints may have used a first rounder in 2020 ..... Saints were lucky they got a first rounder in 2020

Crikey :drunk:

He won't end up a Saint ..... he may well end up a Saint ...... Saints need to finish in bottom 10 .... Saints need to finish in the bottom 8 ..... Saints need to finish in the bottom 6 ..... Saints may have used a first rounder in 2020 ..... Saints were lucky they got a first rounder in 2020

Crikey :drunk:
I've said one thing and one thing only.

If BK becomes a Saint in 2023, and this is a very big IF, the Saints will be paying market rates.

Your nuffie supporters who think he's going to come cheap because "brother" are delusional.

So wouldn't be too cocky and smug if I were you.

Maybe just try and make the finals this season rather than pullin Ur pudding for another "Messiah" to save the club.

I thought you were getting Martin a few years back because he was a Saints fan as a kid or Jack reiwoldt because "cousin"?

Then it was Josh Kelly (a Saints local apparently). Remember that?

The bigfooty saints fan track record ain't great when it comes to this stuff so I'd be keeping my head down..

Most likely immediate outcome is a two year contract at the Suns.

Last edited:
I've said one thing and one thing only.

If BK becomes a Saint in 2023, and this is a very big IF, the Saints will be paying market rates.

Your nuffie supporters who think he's going to come cheap because "brother" are delusional.

So wouldn't be too cocky and smug if I were you.

Maybe just try and make the finals this season rather than pullin Ur pudding for another "Messiah" to save the club.

I thought you were getting Martin a few years back because he was a Saints fan as a kid or Jack reiwoldt because "cousin"?

Then it was Josh Kelly (a Saints local apparently). Remember that?

The bigfooty saints fan track record ain't great when it comes to this stuff so I'd be keeping my head down..

Most likely immediate outcome is a two year contract at the Suns.
No one thinks he is going to come cheap ..... only you think that we think he is going to come cheap

Have another tequila!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a reason why this thread is in the rumours board.

Plenty of your fans think it's a done deal.
Plenty.

Now have a cup of messianic wine.

Please quote anyone who, in this thread, thinks he's coming cheap. No Saint supporter thinks it's a done deal. They're more than aware it's going to likely take at least 2 first rounders and a player, if it happens at all.

And the for argument for going to the Saints is he supported them as a kid, his identical twin brother plays there, and the club has been close with the family for many years. Are we on the verge of finals? We had a horror run of injuries last year and in retrospect a difficult draw (double ups were Geelong, Port Adelaide, Sydney, Richmond, West Coast); and yet we still managed to eek out 10 wins, being only a game and percentage out. If being in contention for a premiership is enticing for players, then we're a hell of a lot closer than the likes of Collingwood and Hawthorn, and Richmonds is about to close.

We also have the next 2 years first rounders available to trade out, and a crop of players that could move on (too many half backs).

If the Saints want him, realistically under this scenario, they will have to up their offer.

History says otherwise.
Dylan Shiel for instance took a deal that was 2million+ less (over the life of the contract) at essendon than the blues and the saints were offering.

(Bullet dodged! Phew)

You are right that the money would certainly need to be in the general ballpark of what other clubs are offering, but wrong in saying it is guaranteed that if he does move, it will be to the highest bidder.

If King doesn't recommit to The Suns, would pick 1 in next year's national draft on its own be enough to seal the deal ? I ask this because Collingwood, Hawthorn and to a lesser extent North Melbourne are crying out for a young, proven goal scoring KPF, and all three teams probably will be in the mix for the spoon next season.

Suns will probably ask for a 2nd round pick as well, but if ever the no 1 pick in the ND gets traded again, it would be for someone like King imo

images

I am a huge fan of Max, but big Harry is still only 23, Coleman medallist and AA player.
Appreciate the fact you are probably joking around though :)

It's an irrelevant question.

My entire argument is very simple.

It is going to be very very very very difficult for the Saints to get the draft capital to trade for Ben King.

Any saints fan (like your good self) who thinks it's a fait accompli simply if he "nominates" the Saints is delusional .

Unless you guys plan on finishing bottom 5 for the next to years?

I've not said you can't get him. I'm saying it's not that simple and will be way more difficult than you think to get it done.

its not an irrelevant question, you've been chest beating that it just doesn't happen and you're doing everything now to avoid answering the question

If there was an Olympic event for putting words in peoples mouths then WillHayward would be in the Australian team without doubt.

Post after post in this thread you’re doing it and pretending they’ve said things they haven’t said at all and then getting yourself all in a tizz about it.
I’d say the podium is
1. Victorian media (+Kane Cornes) on Ben King wanting to return to Victoria to play with his brother

2. BigFooty saints fans saying Ben King wants to come back to Victoria to play with his brother

3. willhayward

If I was Ben King myself and wanted to return home to Vic, I definitely would pick Collingwood as my destination. Would set himself up for life, playing for big crowds and I am sure he had the stones to handle being the great white hope/messiah of the Pies

Assuming De Goey exits Collingwood at the end of next season, the Pies definitely would have the cap space and trade capital to get a deal down.

Reckon they already have done some goodwill groundwork with the Suns witb their draft pick swap this season.

I am calling it now, Ben King will either be a Sun or a Magpie in 2023 and beyond, I am not as convinced as most that he is already out the there, but I am certain Graham Wright is already plotting The Carringbush to swoop on him.

A top 3 pick and De Goey compo pick (likely to be in the top 5 or 6) is a very nice starting point for a potential King trade.

St Kilda (or Essendon or probably Hawthorn or Richmond, cannot possibly match that offer, and I reckon North Melbourne have their sights set elsewhere for some reason)

King like Chris Judd and Adam Cerra, is not the type of bloke to leave his former club in the lurch, if he leaves, I am sure he will nominate the club who can give Gold Coast the best return in a return in a trade and at this probably too early to speculate stage, I think it will be Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back