Rumour Ben King 2023

I ask this because Collingwood, Hawthorn and to a lesser extent North Melbourne are crying out for a young
We have 4 young key forwards on the list already. People are sleeping on Lewis in comparison to others of his age and experience, while Koschitske and Jeka could be anything in 12 months time.

So I don’t think we’re crying out for another, but if we could replace one with someone who has a higher ceiling, then sure.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
We have 4 young key forwards on the list already. People are sleeping on Lewis in comparison to others of his age and experience, while Koschitske and Jeka could be anything in 12 months time.

So I don’t think we’re crying out for another, but if we could replace one with someone who has a higher ceiling, then sure.
You can throw in Callow also

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
If I was Ben King myself and wanted to return home to Vic, I definitely would pick Collingwood as my destination. Would set himself up for life, playing for big crowds and I am sure he had the stones to handle being the great white hope/messiah of the Pies

Assuming De Goey exits Collingwood at the end of next season, the Pies definitely would have the cap space and trade capital to get a deal down.

Reckon they already have done some goodwill groundwork with the Suns witb their draft pick swap this season.

I am calling it now, Ben King will either be a Sun or a Magpie in 2023 and beyond, I am not as convinced as most that he is already out the there, but I am certain Graham Wright is already plotting The Carringbush to swoop on him.

A top 3 pick and De Goey compo pick (likely to be in the top 5 or 6) is a very nice starting point for a potential King trade.

St Kilda (or Essendon or probably Hawthorn or Richmond, cannot possibly match that offer, and I reckon North Melbourne have their sights set elsewhere for some reason)

King like Chris Judd and Adam Cerra, is not the type of bloke to leave his former club in the lurch, if he leaves, I am sure he will nominate the club who can give Gold Coast the best return in a return in a trade and at this probably too early to speculate stage, I think it will be Collingwood.

Jeebus, why would the Gold Coast want De Goey on their books ?!. They have enough issues setting up a strong culture without that type of distraction.

Hope Ben King stays with the GC - they need a superstar to help build the club locally.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Jeebus, why would the Gold Coast want De Goey on their books ?!. They have enough issues setting up a strong culture without that type of distraction.

Hope Ben King stays with the GC - they need a superstar to help build the club locally.

I was assuming the Pies would trade the compo pick they got got JDG, although it also would make sense for De Goey to get away from the media bubble and bad influences and move to a club like Gold Coast .

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was assuming the Pies would trade the compo pick they got got JDG, although it also would make sense for De Goey to get away from the media bubble and bad influences and move to a club like Gold Coast .

You jest surely!

....the last thing the GC needs is him anywhere near their club. He's trouble and there is enough temptation up there that would suit him beautifully and land the SUNS in the :poo:.

No. No. No.

A lot of Saints fans I know have already accepted the fact that he will probably never play for us. That’s okay. He would be an amazing player to have but he probably fits better elsewhere, and he would know that.

Not every twin wants to be around their brother for their entire lives. It might feel great for them to be out on their own?

Yes I saw it was pick 21 and did count in the first round.

AFL helped you out there...

You are still required to use two first round picks in the draft in every four years (rolling).

This adds an extra layer of complexity.

Also explains why you had to use Ur first rounder this year.

hahaha seriously

The Saints gave up pick No.17 and a future second-round selection for Jack Higgins and received pick No.21 and a future fourth-rounder back from the Tigers.
Yep the AFL gave us COLA and an academy..... wish the AFL would do us a favor like they do some other clubs.

did a Stkilda player sleep with your mum or back over your dog? your StKilda hate seems to run deep. you are right up there with a few Dogs supporters in the hate levels. mystifying

Amazing how tilted some you are at this subject, and would rather see the already well looked after clubs continue that trend than a small club.

Taylor Moss

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
hahaha seriously

The Saints gave up pick No.17 and a future second-round selection for Jack Higgins and received pick No.21 and a future fourth-rounder back from the Tigers.
Yep the AFL gave us COLA and an academy..... wish the AFL would do us a favor like they do some other clubs.

did a Stkilda player sleep with your mum or back over your dog? your StKilda hate seems to run deep. you are right up there with a few Dogs supporters in the hate levels. mystifying

Amazing how tilted some you are at this subject, and would rather see the already well looked after clubs continue that trend than a small club.
I think fans of other clubs are just sick of St Kilda fans & their sense of entitlement.

St Kilda have been nothing but an abject failure since inception and really should be booted from the comp to make way for a Tassie team.

I think fans of other clubs are just sick of St Kilda fans & their sense of entitlement.

St Kilda have been nothing but an abject failure since inception and really should be booted from the comp to make way for a Tassie team.

Hahaha. That’s it, resort to name calling. Who needs a flag when this creates so many free tears

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
hahaha seriously

Oh dear...

You got Jones, Hanners and Membrey for free for the go home home factor.

Then Owens as an Academy.

Meanwhile since Buddy we have recruited guns like Brand, Lewis Taylor and a bunch of other hacks.

Our best player under 25 just left for Adelaide for "go home".

Cola was cancelled a decade ago.

It's not a swans a thing, but anyone who doesn't acknowledge the nightmare of retention faced by the Qld and NSW teams has no idea .

I can list all the players who left NSW and Qld for Vic In the last five years if you like?

It's a very very very long list....

Some now premiership players for Tigers and Demons..

Last edited:
Neither of named player played in a flag.

Was also a long time ago...

But Ur welcome to Lewis Taylor...

Barry Hall was our premiership captain...

images (12) (11).jpeg

Your points about retention in non AFL states is valid, it's what the academies are for (to help offset it), the bigger issue that faces GC is the cultural gap and the fact that players can be closer to home AND earn more through sponsorship in a football state.

Ideally in 20 years time the academies are pumping out so many players they use the regular AFL draft as the pathway.

Jul 30, 2011
Right behind you
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gunners & Steelers

Wow! That’s rich coming from someone who supports a club that should have at least 2 flags but when the got a dance on the big stage could only kick 3 goals.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
They wont be offering big money for a very long time considering what has happened on the back of the Grundy deal.

He wont be going to Collingwood

De Goey will move to Sydney as a FA or traded end of 2022.

Sidebottom and Pendlebery on big coin will be retiring in 1-2 years.

There's the cap space you need.

Moore will get $200k - $250k more than he's on now.

Back