Recommitted Ben King [contracted and staying at Gold Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Hazardinho

Team Captain
Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Obviously I'm not expecting him to move this trade period, but i just feel he surely considers his future in 2022 if Gold Coast have another woeful season. What club makes the most sense for him, what would Gold Coast demand in a trade. I might be biased but i feel Essendon makes so much sense for him, he'd be apart of a team thats on the rise and needs a long term key forward, Essendon has so much salary cap space through retirements, offloading players from the 2020 trade period, I've read a couple of suggestions that Baldwin apparently has some ties to someone at Gold Coast (don't know if true) and also Gold Coast have an interest in Nick Bryan before he resigned. Essendon have a couple of Davey twins who are highly rated and are in the 2022 draft, so Essendon will not need its first rounder. I know people say St Kilda cause of his brother, but surely a forward line of Ben and Max makes their forward line unbalanced, don't really know what other clubs come in the frame, Carlton don't need a forward, neither do the dogs, Geelong don't have the cap space or draft capitial, as do Melbourne. Hawthorn dependent on their season next year could be a threat, but we don't know how Sam Mitchel would do as coach. North Melbourne surely focus on the draft, Collingwood have salary cap issues, and obviously he probably doesn't go abroad. So really Essendon or staying at Gold Coast are the likely outcomes of his future. What does everyone think, is Essendon a good move for him, what would the suns want, is it worth from the bombers point of view to spend so much on him, as Essendon has some unproven young key forwards in Eyre, Baldwin who could be anything.

It's either Gold Coast or St Kilda.
It’s really not. Money and the chance of success talk. He’s not going to throw that away just to play with his brother or the team he supported when he was 10. It’s a romantic notion pedaled by Saints fans. He may well end up at Saints but it will be based on sporting reasons if he does.

Obviously I'm not expecting him to move this trade period, but i just feel he surely considers his future in 2022 if Gold Coast have another woeful season. What club makes the most sense for him, what would Gold Coast demand in a trade. I might be biased but i feel Essendon makes so much sense for him, he'd be apart of a team thats on the rise and needs a long term key forward, Essendon has so much salary cap space through retirements, offloading players from the 2020 trade period, I've read a couple of suggestions that Baldwin apparently has some ties to someone at Gold Coast (don't know if true) and also Gold Coast have an interest in Nick Bryan before he resigned. Essendon have a couple of Davey twins who are highly rated and are in the 2022 draft, so Essendon will not need its first rounder. I know people say St Kilda cause of his brother, but surely a forward line of Ben and Max makes their forward line unbalanced, don't really know what other clubs come in the frame, Carlton don't need a forward, neither do the dogs, Geelong don't have the cap space or draft capitial, as do Melbourne. Hawthorn dependent on their season next year could be a threat, but we don't know how Sam Mitchel would do as coach. North Melbourne surely focus on the draft, Collingwood have salary cap issues, and obviously he probably doesn't go abroad. So really Essendon or staying at Gold Coast are the likely outcomes of his future. What does everyone think, is Essendon a good move for him, what would the suns want, is it worth from the bombers point of view to spend so much on him, as Essendon has some unproven young key forwards in Eyre, Baldwin who could be anything.

North had a big offer in front of McKay, silly to think a year later they won't put a pile of cash in front of King.

North had a big offer in front of McKay, silly to think a year later they won't put a pile of cash in front of King.
Oh ok i hadn't followed that rumour, so yep you guys are another one in the mix. I can see the appeal of going to North, as i expect them to fly up the ladder, Jason Horne-Francis is gonna be a great player and will be well coached by Noble, along with other good young players in Simpkin, TT, Phillips, Zurhar, Powell. I just feel Essendon would be a bit more appealing than North at the moment as we're ahead in our development, not to be offensive or disrespectful.

Oh ok i hadn't followed that rumour, so yep you guys are another one in the mix. I can see the appeal of going to North, as i expect them to fly up the ladder, Jason Horne-Francis is gonna be a great player and will be well coached by Noble, along with other good young players in Simpkin, TT, Phillips, Zurhar, Powell. I just feel Essendon would be a bit more appealing than North at the moment as we're ahead in our development, not to be offensive or disrespectful.

Not offended at all mate, you've got a final tomorrow and our blokes are falling off bikes after a spoon.

We seem to be keeping our powder dry this off season as per the old warchest, I have a suspicion King will be our number one target - age profile is perfect, a key forward is a need and I think he's the best young forward in the game in the next year or so.

At that, I think he'll stay if they show an improvement next year.

Not offended at all mate, you've got a final tomorrow and our blokes are falling off bikes after a spoon.

We seem to be keeping our powder dry this off season as per the old warchest, I have a suspicion King will be our number one target - age profile is perfect, a key forward is a need and I think he's the best young forward in the game in the next year or so.

At that, I think he'll stay if they show an improvement next year.
Yeah completely agree, Ben King should be every clubs priority that need a key forward, he's gonna have a great career. I feel North Melbourne are really well balanced across their list, probably need another small forward, high half-forward and development from your young core, and their definitely is an appeal to join North.

It’s really not. Money and the chance of success talk. He’s not going to throw that away just to play with his brother or the team he supported when he was 10. It’s a romantic notion pedaled by Saints fans. He may well end up at Saints but it will be based on sporting reasons if he does.

It’s not just a romantic notion pedalled by Saints fans. We’ve had some pretty reliable posters on our board say quite candidly that it’s a notion the boys and their parents have also expressed themselves.

Yes they are identical twins, but we keep reading how close the boys are even by identical twin standards.

I have no idea what Ben is going to do, but I’d be very surprised that if he left Gold Coast he didn’t request a trade to play with his brother. The fact that the fluke of the draft had Max sliding to St Kilda was a stroke of luck for the Saints.

The marketing potential of both boys playing for the club would dwarf anything they could earn in a football contract. They would be the faces of the club for the next decade.

But time will tell. Ben is Gold Coast’s player and it is up to them to keep him. They did it at the end of 2019 and maybe they can do it again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not just a romantic notion pedalled by Saints fans. We’ve had some pretty reliable posters on our board say quite candidly that it’s a notion the boys and their parents have also expressed themselves.

Yes they are identical twins, but we keep reading how close the boys are even by identical twin standards.

I have no idea what Ben is going to do, but I’d be very surprised that if he left Gold Coast he didn’t request a trade to play with his brother. The fact that the fluke of the draft had Max sliding to St Kilda was a stroke of luck for the Saints.

The marketing potential of both boys playing for the club would dwarf anything they could earn in a football contract. They would be the faces of the club for the next decade.

But time will tell. Ben is Gold Coast’s player and it is up to them to keep him. They did it at the end of 2019 and maybe they can do it again.
Your “well informed” posters were saying this well before he was drafted. It’s become a fact for Saints fans.

Your “well informed” posters were saying this well before he was drafted. It’s become a fact for Saints fans.

Next you'll be telling me Josh Kelly will never play for North.

King is going to nominate where he goes if he leaves. He’s either going to ask for a massive contract from a Vic club, or he’s going to the Saints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back