Recommitted Ben King [contracted and staying at Gold Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow Hannebery, you’ll need to move on more than that.

Hannebery is on a much reduced salary next year. Carlisle and Roberton are also off the books having retired, and Dunstan being let go.

More importantly, the players collectively decided on having a 7% pay cut over a year instead of 3.5% over 2. Apart from West Coast, I’m not sure who else did that. So we’ve made sure to have the cap space and contracts shuffled around and ready for the future.

I find Gold Coast offensive full stop. Made up team that could not exist without a lot of support from the AFL. Would be lucky to get two thousand supporters paying for tickets on gameday as the rest are freebies handed out. So now it's boo hoo when it's the saints turn (and this is all still a huge MAYBE, but just the thought of it and the trolls roll in) yet it's fine when the tigers and dees turned up and helped themselves.

You had GAZ for years and the net result? A lot of animosity towards the only glam player you had and everyone walking.

Why draft heavily from outside Queensland in the first place? Would it be because the best the team could field is a reserves quality team?

GC have smashed the draft for years hindering other teams at the bottom attempts at a fair crack at the high end talent.

The AFL changes the rules (cheat) to prioritise GC.

As for the saints needing another gun midfielder. Wow no sh*t to the sherlocks in this thread. It's only been spoken about on our own forum ad infinitum.

From round 11 this year the team went 6-6. The six losses resulted in 9, 6, 13, 8, 31 and a 14 point defeat. This coming from a team that started the year in a deplorable state, had a high injury count, had the back six continuously shuffled while they were already new to each other to begin with. This also applies to the forward line and midfield.

Without an injection of a star midfielder the team is still capable of a top four finish. It's just that we will still be making up the numbers like seven of the eight teams this year.

On the plus side, twin kings will put bums on seats, more members, make the team more marketable and be great fun to watch.

matching the timeline when Luke Dunstan was getting games!

Hannebery is on a much reduced salary next year. Carlisle and Roberton are also off the books having retired, and Dunstan being let go.

More importantly, the players collectively decided on having a 7% pay cut over a year instead of 3.5% over 2. Apart from West Coast, I’m not sure who else did that. So we’ve made sure to have the cap space and contracts shuffled around and ready for the future.

On the flipside, I assume Steele & Marshall will get their contracts at least doubled next year (OOC 2022), while Paton, Highmore, Byrnes & Bytel will all go from rookie ish salaries to borderline AFL average (350ish) as they are all established or establishing as best 22.

No one ever remembers the salary increases, just the likes of Jake Carlisle retiring 🙄

Edit/ read Steeles contract wrong, he has resigned since 2016, but I still expect he will get a significant jump

It's funny that the argument that Ben can't play with Max but Essendon would be a great fit, did everyone forget about 2 metre Peter. Why can't the same be said about Peter Wright who left Gold Coast because he wasn't getting opportunities in the team with Ben King.

If King wanted to leave Gold Coast then why would Gold Coast be so hard to deal with, isn't two picks in the teens and a second better than nothing? King could easily walk from GC and move to a Melbourne based club. The Melbourne based club being the winner, probably North or Collingwood maybe even Hawks.

Geelong were desperate to get Cameron so they threw the kitchen sink at GWS to get him.

If the Saints cap is so tight then how is that any different from Essendon, Shiel, Caldwell, Stringer, McGarth, Parish, Merrett and Heppell would all be on modest to big contracts.

It's funny that the argument that Ben can't play with Max but Essendon would be a great fit, did everyone forget about 2 metre Peter. Why can't the same be said about Peter Wright who left Gold Coast because he wasn't getting opportunities in the team with Ben King.

If King wanted to leave Gold Coast then why would Gold Coast be so hard to deal with, isn't two picks in the teens and a second better than nothing? King could easily walk from GC and move to a Melbourne based club. The Melbourne based club being the winner, probably North or Collingwood maybe even Hawks.

Geelong were desperate to get Cameron so they threw the kitchen sink at GWS to get him.

If the Saints cap is so tight then how is that any different from Essendon, Shiel, Caldwell, Stringer, McGarth, Parish, Merrett and Heppell would all be on modest to big contracts.
There there it'll be ok.

On the flipside, I assume Steele & Marshall will get their contracts at least doubled next year (OOC 2022), while Paton, Highmore, Byrnes & Bytel will all go from rookie ish salaries to borderline AFL average (350ish) as they are all established or establishing as best 22.

No one ever remembers the salary increases, just the likes of Jake Carlisle retiring 🙄

Edit/ read Steeles contract wrong, he has resigned since 2016, but I still expect he will get a significant jump
Billings, Hannerbery and Ross (if he signs) will all be on considerably less next year. All were well paid in the past.

Roberton and Carlisle were both on healthy contracts.

Steele is currently on 700k, he'll no doubt earn a but more but it won't he double.

Paton and Bytel aren't on their first contracts, they won't he getting a lot more in their coming contracts.

Hill is really the only player on a big deal at the club. We seem to be getting our cap in a healthy spot after over paying a few players over the last few years.

Ben King speculation. Ha ha.

All this talk about the Bombers and Saints. Why even consider joining your brother, similar positions. Madness.

All this talk is hilarious.

If he and his Manager are even half smart, even 1/4 smart, they'd choose the Demons.
Brown is 29 next month. Will be 30 when Ben enters the MCG arena in their colors in March 2023.
And McDonald is a 2nd tall, not the main man.

He'd have Petracca, Oliver and Jackson in the middle. Feeding him left, right and centre.

Madness to consider Bombers and Saints.

And I'm a Hawks supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All this talk about the Bombers and Saints. Why even consider joining your brother, similar positions. Madness.

If he and his Manager are even half smart, even 1/4 smart, they'd choose the Demons.
Brown is 29 next month. Will be 30 when Ben enters the MCG arena in their colors in March 2023.

He'd have Petracca, Oliver and Jackson in the middle. Feeding him left, right and centre.

Just join the best team!
Who would have thought. Glad you unlocked the code to individual success for everyone to see.

now Ben, just take a 50% pay cut so Melbourne could afford you alongside the 5 all Australians plus the other up and comers.

Just join the best team!
Who would have thought. Glad you unlocked the code to individual success for everyone to see.

now Ben, just take a 50% pay cut so Melbourne could afford you alongside the 5 all Australians plus the other up and comers.

The tigers found the money for Lynch - Cotch, Riewoldt, others took pay cuts.
The dees found the money for May.

I didnt have to 'find' the code - look back at history.

The tigers found the money for Lynch - Cotch, Riewoldt, others took pay cuts.
The dees found the money for May.

I didnt have to 'find' the code - look back at history.
Melbourne found money for May before Petracca was a star not to mention emergence of Bayley Fritsch, Kozzie Pickett etc..

Cotchin and Riewoldt were 29? when Lynch came. They'd already earned millions. Most of Melbournes highly paid players are in their early to mid 20's and will still be wanting to make theirs.

If Melbourne could find a way to make it work. Sure, go for it. I just can't see it, especially considering the size of contract you imagine he would attract elsewhere

Melbourne found money for May before Petracca was a star not to mention emergence of Bayley Fritsch, Kozzie Pickett etc..

Cotchin and Riewoldt were 29? when Lynch came. They'd already earned millions. Most of Melbournes highly paid players are in their early to mid 20's and will still be wanting to make theirs.

If Melbourne could find a way to make it work. Sure, go for it. I just can't see it, especially considering the size of contract you imagine he would attract elsewhere

Petracca has signed for 7 years already. Lever has had his good pay packets and will do what Riewoldt did, take some unders later on. You are right it will take juggling but success matters to stars like Ben King I think, especially having been away from the limelight up north.

When lynch arrived, I think Cotch was 28 / JR 29 you are right.

I couldnt care less where Ben King goes. Just not sure it is the obvious choice in the Saints or Essendon. Hopefully GCS get Clarko and he goes nowhere.

Last edited:

As a Melbourne fan I agree we need to look at a key forward post Ben Brown. But no way can we fit King under the salary cap trying to sign up our own young talent (Jackson, Pickett).

Last edited:
I’d be flat if he re-signed with the suns, but devastated if he went to essendon.

Right now everything seems a live chance.

I'd kind of like it if he nominated Essendon.

Dodo....We will pay a third round pick.
GC. *%$^ off.
Dodo ...he's out of contract he'll walk to the draft.
GC He bloody will not, no-one does that.

Last day of Trade Periond.
Dodo, we will only send a first round pick and third rounder if you send back your second rounder and pick 3hundred and leventy levn.
Saints. Ben?
Ben Ok
Saints : Here First and future first .
GC. No problemo,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back