Recommitted Ben King [contracted and staying at Gold Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Can honestly as a Bombers fan, we have 0 chance of getting King this year let alone next.

Gil will crack a tanty as his love child would be losing players and Cochrane will demand the kings ransom in return as he hates seeing good kids go.

Rutten has said we won't be actively bringing a lot in as we want to develop from within.

Can honestly as a Bombers fan, we have 0 chance of getting King this year let alone next.

Gil will crack a tanty as his love child would be losing players and Cochrane will demand the kings ransom in return as he hates seeing good kids go.

Rutten has said we won't be actively bringing a lot in as we want to develop from within.

I bet you believe Daniel Andrews too when he said this would be a short sharp lockdown. Of course Truck is going to keep his cards close to his chest.

Ben King would probably be the single biggest loss of that clubs history, no chance they are letting him walk this year for anything short of the biggest trade package in history

Ben King would probably be the single biggest loss of that clubs history, no chance they are letting him walk this year for anything short of the biggest trade package in history
I don't think we'd let King go this year full-stop.
Would back ourselves to improve and convince him to stay.

If it happens this year you'd be using the Jeremy Cameron trade as a benchmark.

Lloyds quote was St Kilda think they have him, not that he thinks they King will go there. Lots of St Kilda in the knows sprouting the same thing. Heard the same thing last year with Caldwell too. Don’t count your chickens too early saints fans.

Lmao, we pulled out of Caldwell after Crouch! Plenty of media have said very similar to what Lloyd said, and some like Caro were definite. If he comes he comes, the point is more so when some bombers fans are counting their chickens on some fraud oracle whisperer 😂. Bombers are apparently into everyone these days…

No one knows, but I would say Saints fans out of anyone have the most reasons to get excited. But I’m not counting on it.

If he comes out of contract and is available for trade - what team is not going to be interested in a 6'8 athletic key position player who's kicked 85 goals in the first 50 games of his career in a somewhat struggling team?

Funny how most media people with connections think that St Kilda is most likely, including Lloyd, but when some random whisperer says it they get more credibility 🤣🤣.

To be fair, AFL media both professional and unprofessional is a farce for attention, only time will tell.
I mean, you know we're taking the piss yeah?

Would St Kilda be willing to pay him significantly more than Max to get him over? Could make for an uneasy dynamic. Ben is going to get some huge offers.

It’s a good point. Some suggest that Ben would match the contract of Max, maybe with triggers? I’m not sure the ins and outs, but there would be a basis for good will I’d reckon. Guess it depends if it’s about the money or not, and if it is for Ben, then that’ll open the door to various other clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see how he would fit into the St Kilda salary cap. They have Max, Steele, Crouch, Marshall, Hanneberry, Howard, Hill, Clark all on good coin, and Ben would demand a lot of coin to move. It would also impact Max and Ben as they play a similar game. He could go to most other clubs and it would make more sense. I can't see anyone being able to pay him more than Gold Coast and I imagine it will depend on how GC play this year. They will likely be stronger this year as Rowell gets back to full fitness, Anderson is improving, as is Lukosius, Weller., and Rankin. They are solid down back with Collins and Ballard and would be better if Rory Thompson gets fit. If GC don't improve King is as good as gone, but so is Dew.

LOL at the saints and bombers fans calling in on trade radio

'will pick 11 be enough?'
'how about pick 9, Lonie and Dumont'

If any club wants him this year under contract, it would be a minimum 3 first rounders or say St Kilda's 1st, marshall and another high end player to get the conversation started.

The optics of losing King now would be terrible and it really could then open the floodgates for others like Lukosius, Rowell, anderson, Rankine etc. I don't see any of the big names leaving GC this year for that reason alone

LOL at the saints and bombers fans calling in on trade radio

'will pick 11 be enough?'
'how about pick 9, Lonie and Dumont'

If any club wants him this year under contract, it would be a minimum 3 first rounders or say St Kilda's 1st, marshall and another high end player to get the conversation started.

The optics of losing King now would be terrible and it really could then open the floodgates for others like Lukosius, Rowell, anderson, Rankine etc. I don't see any of the big names leaving GC this year for that reason alone

Wouldn't straight swap Marshall for Ben. Anyways isn't this 12 months to early? The whole reason this is will go on another year is because the saints don't have the draft capital this year and even if the club did, three firsts? I would stop following the club till they sacked whoever was behind it, if they forked that up. Not a recipe for success.

My 'feeling' is if Ben comes to the saints, he'll take 800k like his brother with the view to winning a flag. Any other club will be forking out 1.2 or more if he wants the cash including the suns.

Max extended his contract this year for this price even though he could of got way more on the open market and i see no reason why Ben would be different.

Wouldn't straight swap Marshall for Ben. Anyways isn't this 12 months to early? The whole reason this is will go on another year is because the saints don't have the draft capital this year and even if the club did, three firsts? I would stop following the club till they sacked whoever was behind it, if they forked that up. Not a recipe for success.

My 'feeling' is if Ben comes to the saints, he'll take 800k like his brother with the view to winning a flag. Any other club will be forking out 1.2 or more if he wants the cash including the suns.

Max extended his contract this year for this price even though he could of got way more on the open market and i see no reason why Ben would be different.
It's weird how your feeling aligns with the dream scenario for the Saints.

It's weird how your feeling aligns with the dream scenario for the Saints.

Not where i am coming from. My feel is based heavily on a radio interview Simon Lethlean gave two years ago regarding the last contract for Ben. Bens old man was asking our club what they should do and they were told to take the suns offer with open arms. Anyway no draft capital then either, especially after the Hill trade due to Rattens boner obsession with anyone Hawthorn past or present.

Every comment i read in this space is personal speculation and bias, nothing informed.

Speculation

the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Then he'll look around in shock and say....."where's your midfield "?

Can't see how he would fit into the St Kilda salary cap. They have Max, Steele, Crouch, Marshall, Hanneberry, Howard, Hill, Clark all on good coin, and Ben would demand a lot of coin to move. It would also impact Max and Ben as they play a similar game. He could go to most other clubs and it would make more sense. I can't see anyone being able to pay him more than Gold Coast and I imagine it will depend on how GC play this year. They will likely be stronger this year as Rowell gets back to full fitness, Anderson is improving, as is Lukosius, Weller., and Rankin. They are solid down back with Collins and Ballard and would be better if Rory Thompson gets fit. If GC don't improve King is as good as gone, but so is Dew.
Hannebery is done after next year so he won't be in the cap. Carlton next year will be paying good cash to Williams, Walsh, McKay, Weitering, Curnow, Saad, McGovern, Cripps, Cerra and Docherty. Reality is we have no idea from the outside how clubs' salary caps are positioned, so there's no point in speculating about which one recruit would tip the cap over the edge.

Hannebery is done after next year so he won't be in the cap. Carlton next year will be paying good cash to Williams, Walsh, McKay, Weitering, Curnow, Saad, McGovern, Cripps, Cerra and Docherty. Reality is we have no idea from the outside how clubs' salary caps are positioned, so there's no point in speculating about which one recruit would tip the cap over the edge.
Can't see him at Blues, we have MacKay. I just don't see how going to St Kilda would be good for Ben. His brother is in the position he would play. I could be wrong, but he makes sense at Gold Coast, Essendon, Adelaide, WCE, Giants, Bulldogs, Collingwood, Freo, Port, plus a few others. He may have an overriding desire to play with his brother, so I could be very wrong. You are right, we don't know the salary caps of most clubs, but we have a general view. St Kilda may be in a better way salary cap wise than what I think, but they have paid to attract many stars.

He takes a $400,000 pay cut to play with brother in the 10th best team? This is all sorts on next level crazy.

Would a team want both Kings? They are basically the same player. Both extremely good with huge potential, but wouldn't it limit the forward line? One could play up the ground higher, but are they good enough field kicks for that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back