Recommitted Ben King [extends contract to 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

By all accounts the Saints told his family they would be crazy to knock back the type of money the Suns and the extra non-cap included sweeteners the AFL were offering him.

Yep this. Bens father asked the saints CEO what they should do and that's the answer they got.

We didn't have the picks to give Gold Coast anyway with all we were after. We will the next time he is out of contract and i fully expect him to cross over.

You can call the rumour bs all you like. all i know is that i know people that are friends with him and he would definitely prefer to be playing at st kilda if not this year next year i would expect him to request a trade to return home. (Keep in mind i was told this prior to the season starting, not sure if the success of gold coast will have much influence on his decision

He would have to be weak as Piss if he did that (which I am sure he won't, and I call BS on this rumour 100 %)

St Kilda will be close to maxed out cap wise anyway. They paid a zillion for Brad Hill.

Saints fans are in lala land if they think they can land him in the next 2 or 3 years.

Doubt it, sounds like we have been front loading the cap with payments to blokes like Hill and Hannebery just to meet the minimum cap requirement.

3 years in AFL is a lifetime in any case.

Say what u want boys about the rumour but his future will most likely be alongside his brother at the saints. Im sure afl will do everything in their power to try to convince him to stay but it wont happen

St Kilda will be close to maxed out cap wise anyway. They paid a zillion for Brad Hill.

Saints fans are in lala land if they think they can land him in the next 2 or 3 years.
Hill is on 800k. In 2-3 years Hannebery contract will end which will free up a lot of money.
Outside of Billings, Gresham, King & Hill I don’t think we’d have many players on a lot of coin so it’s very possible.

The authors are listed as Sam Landsberger, Jay Clark and Jon Ralph, so, one of them.

I have a sneaking suspicion that won't matter because it doesn't fit into your internal narrative though

I’m not the one making up a narrative to try and have a player come to my club.

Kid extends and it must be cash, of course we have had different figures as “fact” sprouted in here.

Only facts are he extended at the Suns and didn’t ask for a trade.

Is it possible he leaves when the contract ends? Yep. But there is zero evidence suggesting he will other than certain fans “hopes”.
Just like North fans for Kelly over many years.

Dude he wanted to come home before he signed this contract. This isn't rumour, this was coming out of Simon Lethleans mouth on radio.

Dude he wanted to come home before he signed this contract. This isn't rumour, this was coming out of Simon Lethleans mouth on radio.
FWIW, I think Ben King will probably end up back at St Kilda at some point, but I don't think it will be for some time. St Kilda aren't going to drop their interest in him at any point, and would still be available to him in 7-8 years time.

Also the Suns seem to be building something exciting, may be interested to see how it goes.

Again this is mostly guesswork, just my very uninformed read.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They might fit him in the cap, but they would then have to afford him at the trade table.

If he moved at any point in the next 5 years, expect him to be one of the most expensive trades in history.

Think at least like Tim Kelly or Chris Judd style trades in terms of currency.

I think FA down the track is probably the only realistic option.

I’m not the one making up a narrative to try and have a player come to my club.

Kid extends and it must be cash, of course we have had different figures as “fact” sprouted in here.

Only facts are he extended at the Suns and didn’t ask for a trade.

Is it possible he leaves when the contract ends? Yep. But there is zero evidence suggesting he will other than certain fans “hopes”.
Just like North fans for Kelly over many years.
You seem quite upset about this.

Hill is on 800k. In 2-3 years Hannebery contract will end which will free up a lot of money.
Outside of Billings, Gresham, King & Hill I don’t think we’d have many players on a lot of coin so it’s very possible.
Don’t you think you’ll be paying good money for Steele, Marshall, Clark, Jones who are out of contract the next few years?
Lesser lights coffield and battle also need new contracts and if they continue to play well will be in demand if not offered decent contracts.

Lesser lights coffield and battle also need new contracts and if they continue to play well will be in demand if not offered decent contracts.

Some delusional St Kilda fans here.

Yes, I would also like to listen to Simon radio interview where he said Ben wanted to go home.

First before Ben re-signed St Kilda fans guaranteed he will go back home after the initial contract. Now Suns will pay Ben 500-600K in 2021 according to idiots Ralph and Browne but St. Kilda could not afford it? But for sure St Kilda will be happy to pay him 1M in 2022 and onward and give up 2 top ten picks for him.

Who knows what will happen in 2-3 years. But I suggest you to listen to Ben's interviews after he re-signed. He seems extremely happy on GC, loves his teammates and believes they are building something special. He actually said in one interview that he tried to talk Max into joining him on GC.

I find it amusing that after players re-signed with Sun so many Victoria fans can come up only with the money reason. Somehow Suns had to overpay 30+ players who re-signed in the last 18 months. It appears that Suns got their house in order finally and according to CEO have a salary space now to chase quality players if promising start to the season continues.

Last edited:
I don’t, it’s possible he will go. There is no absolutes here despite what some Saints fans think.

the talk brought up here is the exact same as the North Kelly thread and the implosions that will happen if he stays, which is highly possible, will be hilarious.
Yeh and it’s the exact same narrative for players like Treloar, Shiel, Smith, Hogan ect ect who did end up leaving. Some players go, some players stay. No need to get to your knickers in a knot about it though.

Don’t you think you’ll be paying good money for Steele, Marshall, Clark, Jones who are out of contract the next few years?

Of course we’ll have to pay those guys, just like you’ll have to pay Rowell, Anderson, Rankine, Sexton ect.

Some delusional St Kilda fans here.

Yes, I would also like to listen to Simon radio interview where he said Ben wanted to go home.

First before Ben re-signed St Kilda fans guaranteed he will go back home after the initial contract. Now Suns will pay Ben 500-600K in 2021 according to idiots Ralph and Browne but St. Kilda could not afford it? But for sure St Kilda will be happy to pay him 1M in 2022 and onward and give up 2 top ten picks for him.

Who knows what will happen in 2-3 years. But I suggest you to listen to Ben's interviews after he re-signed. He seems extremely happy on GC, loves his teammates and believes they are building something special. He actually said in one interview that he tried to talk Max into joining him on GC.

I find it amusing that after players re-signed with Sun so many Victoria fans can come up only with the money reason. Somehow Suns had to overpay 30+ players who re-signed in the last 18 months. It appears that Suns got their house in order finally and according to CEO have a salary space now to chase quality players if promising start to the season continues.
Simon Lethlean never said that Ben wanted to go home.

What he did say, when asked how he found out about Ben's contract extension, was that Ben's father had called him that weekend to discuss the new offer presented to them from the GC and Lethlean reinforced that the offer was too good to refuse and he'd be crazy not to take it.

Now, why would the family of a player call the Head of Football at another club to talk to them about a pending contact offer if there wasn't already an open dialogue between the two parties about that player potentially moving to that club at some stage?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back