Recommitted Ben King [re-signed until 2024]

Westozswan

Senior List
May 16, 2014
Darwin
AFL Club
Sydney
There is no way that Ben doesn't end up with his brother. It's a big if considering there cap but he wants to play with his twin. People in the AFL don't understand yhetwin bond. My cousins were twins and they ended up in jobs that one was too good for and the other too weak for. That's how they operate

There is no way that Ben doesn't end up with his brother. It's a big if considering there cap but he wants to play with his twin. People in the AFL don't understand yhetwin bond. My cousins were twins and they ended up in jobs that one was too good for and the other too weak for. That's how they operate
Not all twins. Ben and Harry McKay were quite open with the fact that they wanted to play apart from each other in their draft year. That might change.

I have twins for cousins and whilst they love each other, they're very happy to live separate lives as well.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Gold Coast should have drafted both twins.

Not all twins. Ben and Harry McKay were quite open with the fact that they wanted to play apart from each other in their draft year. That might change.

I have twins for cousins and whilst they love each other, they're very happy to live separate lives as well.
For the Kings though they both grew up St Kilda supporters and I suppose their family did as well. Seeing your twin playing for the team the whole family supports must have high appeal to go there.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
For the Kings though they both grew up St Kilda supporters and I suppose their family did as well. Seeing your twin playing for the team the whole family supports must have high appeal to go there.
Yeah the family were all mad Saints fans and the family home is also just around the corner from Moorabbin. Will be huge pull to play there. Especially if they dreamed of playing together for the Saints when they were growing up.

Not often you get to make your childhood dream come true and make your family exceedingly happy in the process.

If there’s one or more other clubs who are also into him and he wants back to Vic and they have much better picks than us his manager may try to persuade him to go elsewhere tho, knowing that we may struggle to get a deal done for him.

Last edited:

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah the family were all mad Saints fans and the family home is also just around the corner from Moorabbin. Will be huge pull to play there. Especially if they dreamed of playing together for the Saints when they were growing up.

Not often you get to make your childhood dream come true and make your family exceedingly happy in the process.

If there’s one or more other clubs who are also into him and he wants back to Vic and they have much better picks than us his manager may try to persuade him to go elsewhere tho, knowing that we may struggle to get a deal done for him.
So you think that only Ben playing for St Kilda will make his parents ‘exceedingly happy’

I’d suggest they would be wrapt their young man is learning life skills, living independently, making lifelong friends whilst earning a good salary doing the thing he loves (and having a great time)

Maybe the priorities of a Melbourne football parent are different however.

I'm not disagreeing there. Just pointing out that all twins being joined at the hip isn't always true.

So you think that only Ben playing for St Kilda will make his parents ‘exceedingly happy’

I’d suggest they would be wrapt their young man is learning life skills, living independently, making lifelong friends whilst earning a good salary doing the thing he loves (and having a great time)

Maybe the priorities of a Melbourne football parent are different however.
Why can’t he learn life skills, live independently, make lifelong friends while earning a good salary doing the thing he loves (and having a great time) playing with the Saints?

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
He’d be crazy going to St.Kilda.

Only Geelong is further from a Flag, even with both Kings, that’s too much equity in one forward line, especially with a midfield consisting of 1.5 stars.
Plenty of clubs have or have had $1.5M split across 2 forwards. It's doesn't seem to have done Richmond any harm.

He’d be crazy going to St.Kilda.

Only Geelong is further from a Flag, even with both Kings, that’s too much equity in one forward line, especially with a midfield consisting of 1.5 stars.
St Kilda is closer to winning a flag than many teams in Vic. Notably Hawthorn, North and Collingwood who are all in the early stages of rebuilding however hypothetically good they may be one day. The Saints are a bit soft, but if they can overcome that particular hurdle and get Ben through the door they'll start winning plenty of games again.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Why can’t he learn life skills, live independently, make lifelong friends while earning a good salary doing the thing he loves (and having a great time) playing with the Saints?
Well obviously he could, but there is a completely different level of independence and maturity it takes and makes when living remotely from other family.
It gets brought up by every St Kilda poster that his family home is 5 minutes from Moorabin so I could only guess he'd be living in Mum and Dads spare room if he was there.

He's an intelligent kid. I'm sure he can recognise the pros and cons of these options.
I'm sure success is the most important factor of all for Ben.
Neither club has given much hope on that front so we'll see what he decides!

Well obviously he could, but there is a completely different level of independence and maturity it takes and makes when living remotely from other family.
It gets brought up by every St Kilda poster that his family home is 5 minutes from Moorabin so I could only guess he'd be living in Mum and Dads spare room if he was there.

He's an intelligent kid. I'm sure he can recognise the pros and cons of these options.
I'm sure success is the most important factor of all for Ben.
Neither club has given much hope on that front so we'll see what he decides!
im sure though after 2022 living 4 years remotely he would of matured quite a bit and developed his independence. I’m sure his parents would be proud of that but would also like him close to home.

for What it’s worth from a St Kilda point of view I don’t think a young Key forward should be their priory which King will cost 2 first round picks, Saints need some young mids with those picks.

King also fits much better with Gold Coasts young talent in Rowell, Anderson, Lukosius, Rsnkine ect.. and if developed right together they can grow and be a good team in a few years.

I just think the appeal to play with your brother at the club the whole family has supported their whole lives might be too much.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
im sure though after 2022 living 4 years remotely he would of matured quite a bit and developed his independence. I’m sure his parents would be proud of that but would also like him close to home.

for What it’s worth from a St Kilda point of view I don’t think a young Key forward should be their priory which King will cost 2 first round picks, Saints need some young mids with those picks.

King also fits much better with Gold Coasts young talent in Rowell, Anderson, Lukosius, Rsnkine ect.. and if developed right together they can grow and be a good team in a few years.

I just think the appeal to play with your brother at the club the whole family has supported their whole lives might be too much.
Perhaps.
Personally the thing I see as a bigger threat is the acknowledgement that during football and post football the opportunities for big name players in Melbourne are unparalleled, particularly compared to the GC.

Listened to Dylan Buckley podcast with Marc Murphy this week and he is mentioning all these business opportunities and mentor ships that he has stepped into. It’s purely due to his Carlton connections.

with king a smart cookie I’m sure he’ll be considering this long term. And if I was in Kings position these opportunities would be far more important to me than the possibility of playing at the club that I supported as a child - which actually has zero impact on his life going forward.

Perhaps.
Personally the thing I see as a bigger threat is the acknowledgement that during football and post football the opportunities for big name players in Melbourne are unparalleled, particularly compared to the GC.

Listened to Dylan Buckley podcast with Marc Murphy this week and he is mentioning all these business opportunities and mentor ships that he has stepped into. It’s purely due to his Carlton connections.

with king a smart cookie I’m sure he’ll be considering this long term. And if I was in Kings position these opportunities would be far more important to me than the possibility of playing at the club that I supported as a child - which actually has zero impact on his life going forward.
The money King will get there would be business opportunities anywhere. Just look at Nick Riewoldt, Stephen Milne ect.. and there is plenty of business opportunities at St Kilda. Not sure why Gold Coast wouldn’t have business opportunities either. We don’t even know if King is interested in business, not everyone is.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The money King will get there would be business opportunities anywhere. Just look at Nick Riewoldt, Stephen Milne ect.. and there is plenty of business opportunities at St Kilda. Not sure why Gold Coast wouldn’t have business opportunities either. We don’t even know if King is interested in business, not everyone is.
Yeah, these opportunities would be present at any Melbourne club.

It can apply to any private field whether it be business, law, property etc.. These guys get given cushy 'internships' and brought into partnerships just because of their name more so than any capital, knowledge or skills that they may have - certainly how it seems from the outside anyway.

They don't exist on the Gold Coast because the player name just doesn't carry anywhere near the same weight or kudos.

Yeah, these opportunities would be present at any Melbourne club.

It can apply to any private field whether it be business, law, property etc.. These guys get given cushy 'internships' and brought into partnerships just because of their name more so than any capital, knowledge or skills that they may have - certainly how it seems from the outside anyway.

They don't exist on the Gold Coast because the player name just doesn't carry anywhere near the same weight or kudos.
Disagree players get given cushy internships just because of their name. Businesses don’t want a name, they want a person committed.

I have a bit to do with a business that Sponsors the Melbourne Storm and the Western Bulldogs women’s team, some players from both teams are hired as coaches/mentors to staff as contractors, the players studied to become coaches and mentors, they didn’t get hired because of their name, they got hired because of their qualifications. Most AFL players are studying something, if you listen to Clayton Oliver on Dylan Buckley’s postcast he speaks about studying and trying to work out what he wants to do after Football, he’s not waking into a cushy business.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Disagree players get given cushy internships just because of their name. Businesses don’t want a name, they want a person committed.

I have a bit to do with a business that Sponsors the Melbourne Storm and the Western Bulldogs women’s team, some players from both teams are hired as coaches/mentors to staff as contractors, the players studied to become coaches and mentors, they didn’t get hired because of their name, they got hired because of their qualifications. Most AFL players are studying something, if you listen to Clayton Oliver on Dylan Buckley’s postcast he speaks about studying and trying to work out what he wants to do after Football, he’s not waking into a cushy business.
If Max King graduates from a business degree, I think he is a very good chance to get a favourable position with a well connected St Kilda supporter compared with Rebecca Smith (or insert any random university graduate).

If Max King graduates from a business degree, I think he is a very good chance to get a favourable position with a well connected St Kilda supporter compared with Rebecca Smith (or insert any random university graduate).
He’ll have the degree and the money. Of course having contacts helps. Don’t Gold Coast have any sponsors or business people involved in the club?

Last edited:
Perhaps.

Marc Murphy is how old? I know I am generalising, but Footballer's probably don't think about business opportunities or life after football until at least mid 20's

Back