Recommitted Ben King [re-signed until 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it’s the saints fans fanciful wet dream but it surely won’t happen.

The best thing that happened to ben was going to another team and not playing in his brothers shadow.

both players are number 1 key forwards, and I don’t see why Ben would volunteer to be a number 2 when he could almost be anywhere else he wants. also with Marshall being a better kf / 2nd ruck than ruck and a very good compliment as a 2nd kf to max that whole thing becomes complicated. You would have at least $3M+ of your cap (there’s no way you can convince me that both kings will be on less than 1.2m through their peak years in 2023-2028) dedicated to 3 talls in your forward line.

Gcs will give him a blank cheque. So will other clubs needing a kf.
They’ll also offer him the role of being their franchise spearhead.

Without knowing what is going on in his head I would think essendon loom as a big threat to gcs.

The best thing that happened to ben was going to another team and not playing in his brothers shadow.

both players are number 1 key forwards, and I don’t see why Ben would volunteer to be a number 2 when he could almost be anywhere else he wants. also with Marshall being a better kf / 2nd ruck than ruck and a very good compliment as a 2nd kf to max that whole thing becomes complicated. You would have at least $3M+ of your cap (there’s no way you can convince me that both kings will be on less than 1.2m through their peak years in 2023-2028) dedicated to 3 talls in your forward line.

Without knowing what is going on in his head I would think essendon loom as a big threat to gcs.
I’d say most of us won’t lose any sleep over it at all if we don’t get him, as getting him would- as I’ve said numerous times- be a pure luxury, and we’re not really in a position to be going after luxury items at premium prices, when we have other areas of much greater need.

If it happens it will be exciting obviously, as having the two of them up there would be a bunch of fun to watch, but it would be an awful lot of assets we’d have to give up in order to get him.

As for Marshall, he played comfortably his best footy in the ruck in 2019, so I definitely see that as his best position. The only reason he’s been playing mostly forward since Ryder arrived is because Ryder’s tap work is exceptional, and we want to capitalise on that.

If it was a choice between an average ruck and Marshall forward/ruck, or Marshall in the ruck and Bing playing forward/ruck, the latter would be a vastly better option.

How Sharman goes this year will also potentially make things very interesting. His style of play is more Ben King than Max King, so having those 3 plus Membrey up forward would be an awful lot of marking types.

Last edited:
I’d say most of us won’t lose any sleep over it at all if we don’t get him, as getting him would- as I’ve said numerous times- be a pure luxury, and we’re not really in a position to be going after luxury items at premium prices, when we have other areas of much greater need.

If it happens it will be exciting obviously, as having the two of them up there would be a bunch of fun to watch, but it would be an awful lot of assets we’d have to give up in order to get him.

As for Marshall, he played comfortably his best footy in the ruck in 2019, so I definitely see that as his best position. The only reason he’s been playing mostly forward since Ryder arrived is because Ryder’s tap work is exceptional, and we want to capitalise on that.

If it was a choice between an average ruck and Marshall forward/ruck, or Marshall in the ruck and Bing playing forward/ruck, the latter would be a vastly better option.

How Sharman goes this year will also potentially make things very interesting. His style of play is more Ben King than Max King, so having those 3 plus Membrey up forward would be an awful lot of marking types.
This is probably a chat for somewhere else but i rate Marshall as a average (at best) ruck in terms of reading and tapping the ball.

His best work in ruck is when the ball hits the ground, and around the ground with his marking.

He’s very dangerous up forward and a weapon as a 2nd ruck.

Saints priority should always be to have a quality tap ruck with rowan playing 2nd ruck / kf/ utility.

What can the Saints realistically offer in a fair deal for King? Assume they finish 7-10 range. 2022/2023 1st round picks?
If Gresham still doesn't hit his apparent potential, could see GC pushing for him to be involved in a trade, especially if Rankine continues to struggle.

This is probably a chat for somewhere else but i rate Marshall as a average (at best) ruck in terms of reading and tapping the ball.

His best work in ruck is when the ball hits the ground, and around the ground with his marking.

He’s very dangerous up forward and a weapon as a 2nd ruck.

Saints priority should always be to have a quality tap ruck with rowan playing 2nd ruck / kf/ utility.
But where do you find elite tap ruckman? There aren't many around. But Marshall is elite when the ball hits the ground and around the ground.

I'd rather play a ruck who has one elite aspect to his game than someone who is marginally a better tap ruck than Marshall but worse at the other aspects of the game.

The footy romantic in every St Kilda supporters wants B.King to come but it is just not practical.

For my POV I feel my club does not have the picks for it and there are better uses from those picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Massive trade capital required to get him. Would probably prefer us not to chase him, simply because of what it would cost.
Not just that, but with Martin and Lynch still owed some serious coin we'd probably have to hasten the retirement of Cotchin, Riewoldt and Edwards. That's a lot of leadership gone as well as draft picks and cash.....

Not sure how the Saints get a trade done and quite frankly I think the AFL will be watching this one pretty carefully. Surely there's some degree of cognisance at league headquarters that the Suns have to become competitive to capture market share.....

Not just that, but with Martin and Lynch still owed some serious coin we'd probably have to hasten the retirement of Cotchin, Riewoldt and Edwards. That's a lot of leadership gone as well as draft picks and cash.....

Not sure how the Saints get a trade done and quite frankly I think the AFL will be watching this one pretty carefully. Surely there's some degree of cognisance at league headquarters that the Suns have to become competitive to capture market share.....
Apart from some sort of extra allowance, the AFL can't do much to keep King there, even though of course that's what they would prefer.

Tigers are into him
That's obviously a blanket statement because every club would be into him, but we are definitely interested.
Riewoldt and Cotchin and Edwards retiring...

Honestly... I think the trade and salary cap cost would just be way too high to make this a realistic option for the Saints.

Maybe when he's 30, and both boys are winding down, they get a couple of years together at the Saints but it just doesn't happen all that often.

Brendon Goddard could have walked to Carlton. It would have been the dream PR move; the childhood tragic finally getting to the club he should have been at all along, but he chose the Bombers because the contract and set up made more sense.

For as much love as Ben has for the Saints, playing for Essendon, Collingwood or Richmond would be pretty bloody tempting.

Honestly... I think the trade and salary cap cost would just be way too high to make this a realistic option for the Saints.

Maybe when he's 30, and both boys are winding down, they get a couple of years together at the Saints but it just doesn't happen all that often.

Brendon Goddard could have walked to Carlton. It would have been the dream PR move; the childhood tragic finally getting to the club he should have been at all along, but he chose the Bombers because the contract and set up made more sense.

For as much love as Ben has for the Saints, playing for Essendon, Collingwood or Richmond would be pretty bloody tempting.

This is how I see it, also I don't think he is a position of need for the Saints. King/Membrey/Sharman then one of Ryder/Marshall rotating down is already enough tall targets, sure you'd find a way to fit King in but it just wouldn't be worth it IMO

Did Richmond not chase GC vice captain Prestia who duly left the suns AND not done there, two years on and the captain Lynch follows suit.

The gaul to write that when Richmond single handedly did their best to bend GC over blows my mind.

Did Richmond not chase GC vice captain Prestia who duly left the suns AND not done there, two years on and the captain Lynch follows suit.

The gaul to write that when Richmond single handedly did their best to bend GC over blows my mind.
Pick 6 for Prestia?
Lynch was an FA.
How did we bend the Suns over at the time?

Pick 6 for Prestia?
Lynch was an FA.
How did we bend the Suns over at the time?

In both players ears during the season attempting to poach!

Yet if you actually read the exchange between my post and the other guy, he was implying the AFL should step in for GCS sake if the saints do what Richmond DID! lol, lol, just lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back