Recommitted Ben King [extends contract to 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of unsubstantiated rumours flying around about him wanting to return home (all BS most likely) and possibly playing with his brother; Max, at the Saints. Contracted until the end of 2020 at this stage, yet to sign on for longer.

Suns fans, what would you be asking for him? First pick (pick 5-7 at this stage) looks like the absolute minimum. Probably combined with a mature player with leadership qualities (possibly Newnes) and a further pick (future 2nd-3rd round)
Thoughts?

Bulldogs fans are also watching that space. Just the type of player that not only we need, but that Beveridge would love because of his mobility and positional versatility

There is plenty of talk that Ben wants to come home and I'd be surprised if there's nothing to it.

From a Saints point of view though, we have Max as well as Bruce and Membrey then Battle and Carlisle in defence.

He looks like a star, but we are more desperate for midfielder than we are for another KPP. If it happens, it won't be this year.

That's swell

I look forward to The Twin Towers kicking goals for us for the next decade.
Won't be next year ;)

Seriously though, unless King throws a strop about leaving he won't be leaving this season.

We would back ourselves in to show some improvement next year and show we are on the right path and convince him to stay that way.

In his interview for the Rising Star Nomination, he talked about moving out from Mark Evans joint and in with Lukosius.

Personally, I'd rather hold him this year, because what we get offered this year won't be amazing overs compared to next year.

Could any club afford the trade?

Boyd went to Bullies for Pick 6 and their Captian (Griffin). Would the Saints give up Pick 6 and Geary?
I'd imagine the supporters would personally drive Geary to the airport and say "thanks for everything Skip"

Really hope he doesn't leave, would just be more bad signs for Gold Coast's retention rate. If he did leave, I doubt it's to the Saints. They have way too many young talls right now, and would be far better off using their first this year to pick up some elite midfield talent (be it through the draft or through trade). Unless they trade off Josh Bruce, and McCartin retires, then maybe I could see them targeting King, but that seems pretty unlikely. In the event he leaves, more likely one of Hawks or Dogs (basically, a Vic club desperate for quality talls) would be the ones paying the hefty price required

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is plenty of talk that Ben wants to come home and I'd be surprised if there's nothing to it.

From a Saints point of view though, we have Max as well as Bruce and Membrey then Battle and Carlisle in defence.

He looks like a star, but we are more desperate for midfielder than we are for another KPP. If it happens, it won't be this year.
You would be mad to knock Ben King back at any stage. So Battle or Bruce may get a game because King takes their spot? Big deal, motivates them to get better and thus improve the team. You have poor ruck depth after the revelation that is Marshall. Max rucked regularly in juniors, and Ben can do it too. These kids are once in a generation types who are far more agile and quick than any other players their height.

move heaven and earth whenever you can.

We turned James Worpel into a very good senior midfielder in 18 months from pick #53. Why couldn't St Kilda do that too?

and Marshall and you are chasing a ruck ? ... I dont see where he fits at the Saints ... just about every club would want him... its only a matter of what he wants. Most would be happy tosee him stay if he is happy there ..but if we does want out id suspect most clubs would enquire ...

A lot of unsubstantiated rumours flying around about him wanting to return home (all BS most likely) and possibly playing with his brother; Max, at the Saints. Contracted until the end of 2020 at this stage, yet to sign on for longer.

Suns fans, what would you be asking for him? First pick (pick 5-7 at this stage) looks like the absolute minimum. Probably combined with a mature player with leadership qualities (possibly Newnes) and a further pick (future 2nd-3rd round)
Thoughts?
2 first round picks, Billings and the rights to all 3 of Riewoldts children

You would be mad to knock Ben King back at any stage. So Battle or Bruce may get a game because King takes their spot? Big deal, motivates them to get better and thus improve the team. You have poor ruck depth after the revelation that is Marshall. Max rucked regularly in juniors, and Ben can do it too. These kids are once in a generation types who are far more agile and quick than any other players their height.

move heaven and earth whenever you can.

We turned James Worpel into a very good senior midfielder in 18 months from pick #53. Why couldn't St Kilda do that too?
I'm not worried about him pushing Battle or Bruce our of the side. I would be worried about what he'd cost in a trade when we are desperate for midfielders.

That's great that Worpel has turned out okay for you, although I don't think he'll be a star. It's clearly harder to find quality mids with late picks than it is with earlier ones.

I've got no doubt the Suns would demand two firsts for King if we were to chase him this year.

Could any club afford the trade?

Boyd went to Bullies for Pick 6 and their Captian (Griffin). Would the Saints give up Pick 6 and Geary?
Griffin and Geary are chalk and cheese in terms of ability. Geary wouldn't be playing AFL if he wasn't captain, Griffin was the Dogs best player at the time of trade.

Griffin and Geary are chalk and cheese in terms of ability. Geary wouldn't be playing AFL if he wasn't captain, Griffin was the Dogs best player at the time of trade.
Bingo, if we are going to compare King to Boyd, then the cost would be Pick 6 plus one of Marshall, Gresham, Billings, etc.

Geary would be steak knives in any trade, not an actual asset

Not when he's out of contract at the end of next year.
Not sure how that would be relevant, considering the talk is of King's value if traded this year, like Boyd was when he left GWS. There's no comparison to draw if King waits until next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back