Recommitted Ben King [extends contract to 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd say if we were chasing him it would be to play at CHB as he did a junior

and thats my point about Stk ..not being a great fit for him... when I heard himinterview pre draft it sounded like he wanted to play forward.. the way he has played at GC backs that up.. could both broths play along side of each other ..I have doubts.

I'd say if we were chasing him it would be to play at CHB as he did a junior

Hmm ok. Like him up forward and is a great kick at goal.

I just don't think its in St Kilda's best interest to get another KPP, whilst the midfield should be the priority.

It also seems St Kilda have the idea that in the future playing 2 rucks is the preferred setup. If thats the case I dont see Bruce, M.King and Membrey all fitting into the forward line when someone like Marshall will play 50% forward. Just think its too many talls already without adding another in Ben King. Especially when someone like Bruce could slide to defence.

Unless saints want to trade out a key forward to accomodate King. Then i could see the rationale.

Unless St Kilda are thinking of moving on some key forwards then the list manager should be removed immediately if they are targeting ben king.

I get the sentiment getting both of the twins, but St Kilda seem absolutely stacked in key positions across the park. Bruce, M.King, Membrey, McCartin (obviously question marks on him), Marshall (expected to play more forward time) are already too many highly rated players to all play in the same forward line. Carlisle and Battle are a decent starting point as key defenders and st kilda probably dont need to spend too much if they want to play a 3rd tall defender.

Huge question marks on the longevity and future of Steven and Hannerbury. It's the midfield that should be priority A, B and C.

Brad Hill is a good start but it needs to be more than that. Another top line inside ball winner needs to be found.

Without a second rounder already and their first pick seemingly involved in any brad hill trade they wont have the trade assets nor the need to make a move on Ben King.

Collingwood is probably the victorian club in most dire need for a key forward and at the moment they probably dont have the cap space.

Melbourne, WB, Geelong, I can see being the ones who might have the room and assets (geelong with the kelly trade), to make a move if he wants out now.

If he is happy up there great... good for GC etc... if not then Id hope Geelong enquire for sure ..

Hmm ok. Like him up forward and is a great kick at goal.

I just don't think its in St Kilda's best interest to get another KPP, whilst the midfield should be the priority.

It also seems St Kilda have the idea that in the future playing 2 rucks is the preferred setup. If thats the case I dont see Bruce, M.King and Membrey all fitting into the forward line when someone like Marshall will play 50% forward. Just think its too many talls already without adding another in Ben King. Especially when someone like Bruce could slide to defence.

Unless saints want to trade out a key forward to accomodate King. Then i could see the rationale.

Yep maybe thats the way the go ... get BK ..but trade someone out ... would they trade mem or bruce or both to get BK?

Yep maybe thats the way the go ... get BK ..but trade someone out ... would they trade mem or bruce or both to get BK?

I think St Kilda would consider the right deal for Bruce or Membrey. Bruce in particular, well his role could be automatically filled by Max King.

And Membrey is the one I want at the Dogs to compliment Naughton and Schache.

I just don't see all of Marshall, Bruce, M.King, Membrey and Ben King fitting into 3 positions. In fact even without B.King they already have too many.

What if Caro is right and he wants out now? How do Saints do it as they’re deep into Hill? He was openly very keen to slide to the Dogs on draft night. Much more likely he stays for one more year anyway.
He was only keen on the doggies because he knew saints weren't a plausible option.

Don't flatter yourself too much

What if Caro is right and he wants out now? How do Saints do it as they’re deep into Hill? He was openly very keen to slide to the Dogs on draft night. Much more likely he stays for one more year anyway.
of course he was keen to slide to dogs as he wanted to stay in melb and he knew saints were going max but he also said pre-draft that obviously being a one eyed saint and a drop kick from Moorabbin that saints would be a dream come true.

of course he was keen to slide to dogs as he wanted to stay in melb and he knew saints were going max but he also said pre-draft that obviously being a one eyed saint and a drop kick from Moorabbin that saints would be a dream come true.
Exactly, he was happy to be drafted by the Dogs or any other Melbourne team. I’m suggesting if he’s desperate to get back this year, as per Caro’s report, the same applies. I don’t believe Saints can do the deal this year. Is he happy to wait another year and hope Saints can do a deal or is he so desperate he’ll take any Melbourne club? I’ve no idea, but I don’t believe Ben King can honestly say that he’ll only consider playing for the Saints and no one else ever.

What does St Kilda have to trade for him?
You get the vibe that he will put his hand up to go.
Two 1sts with a second going back, perhaps? Possibly overs but you have to pay for quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bit rough on the lad, can't help where he grew up.

How do they get Brad Hill?

Which is why I doubt the Saints are actually chasing King for 2020.

Whereas Hill is the one they want now, and unless Freo are really keen on one our players that we can lose (which I doubt) then our first pick will have to go (Either direct or apart of a swap or after having swapped with GWS for several picks etc).

Add to that there is no rush to get King, and playing two King's in your 22 in 2020 is going to have some negatives as both are still building their bodies.

However St Kilda do have 2021 first rounder to trade as well. Not sure that Freo would be that keen on that.

Last edited:
Which is why I doubt the Saints are actually chasing King for 2020.

Whereas Hill is the one they want now, and unless Freo are really keen on one our players that we can lose (which I doubt) then our first pick will have to go (Either direct or apart of a swap or after having swapped with GWS for several picks etc).

Add to that there is no rush to get King, and player two King's in your 22 in 2020 is going to have some negatives as both are still building their bodies.

However St Kilda do have 2021 first rounder to trade as well. Not sure that Freo would be that keen on that.
I agree but the discussion was in the context of Caroline Wilsons hypothetical that he wants out now. Anyway my guess is he leaves end of next year.

Membrey is nice and all but Ben will be a much better forward eventually. If St Kilda can get Ben I'd be packing Membrey's bags ASAP. But I don't think they'll get Ben, this year or next. He'll extend.

He was only keen on the doggies because he knew saints weren't a plausible option.

Don't flatter yourself too much
Well knowing where his brother was going was the reason he wanted to be at your club and not because it was a great club is the truth, so don't flatter your self

Remove this Banner Ad

Back