Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
Try again mate, they're diehard Saints supporters
Dont need to try again. He wants to just be in Melbourne. Bont was a die hard Tigers man I bet he feels like his life is crap now that he didnt get his wish to play for Richmond. Each player grows up a mad supporter of one club or another.

Aug 15, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
Dont need to try again. He wants to just be in Melbourne. Bont was a die hard Tigers man I bet he feels like his life is crap now that he didnt get his wish to play for Richmond. Each player grows up a mad supporter of one club or another.
You said the reason he wanted to go to St Kilda is because his brother was going there, and that it's not anything to do with the club. You were wrong.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
You said the reason he wanted to go to St Kilda is because his brother was going there, and that it's not anything to do with the club. You were wrong

Imagine taking a player from an expansion club after one year....
Giants well equips to cover Boyd with the forwards they had. Besides I like Gold Coast not GWS

Mar 11, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Personally i think the AFL should mandate that the initial 2 year contracts are kept and cannot be traded till after they have been fulfilled i mean all the players applying for the draft are aware they could be moving interstate so suck it up for 2 years.

Would love it if all players/coach's/managers etc are banned from talking to draftees until contracts are up.

P.S. if King wants out this year GC should demand way overs (2x firsts and a player) stop being a feeder club and make clubs pay for your players

Well knowing where his brother was going was the reason he wanted to be at your club and not because it was a great club is the truth, so don't flatter your self

Just shut your mouth lol. Speaking so much nonsense.

Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
P.S. if King wants out this year GC should demand way overs (2x firsts and a player) stop being a feeder club and make clubs pay for your players

It would take a massive offer by any club to entice GC to even contemplate releasing him this year. Something too good to refuse.

Otherwise we hold him for another 12-months, see if he settles, and if not let the bidding war start all over again next year.

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
It would take a massive offer by any club to entice GC to even contemplate releasing him this year. Something too good to refuse.

Otherwise we hold him for another 12-months, see if he settles, and if not let the bidding war start all over again next year.
I think he’s going to be 2 x firsts whether it’s this year or next. If he does decide to leave. I can’t see his currency getting worse, flipside I can’t see you guys saying no to 2 x firsts if he asks to leave this year.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
I think he’s going to be 2 x firsts whether it’s this year or next. If he does decide to leave. I can’t see his currency getting worse, flipside I can’t see you guys saying no to 2 x firsts if he asks to leave this year.
Depends on where those firsts are positioned. I really hope Ben stays as he could become our next star and we sorely
Need someone the kids can look up to

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Depends on where those firsts are positioned. I really hope Ben stays as he could become our next star and we sorely
Need someone the kids can look up to
I can see the situation you guys are in as supporters. I would be livid the other way around. He very well may stay.. but he was a big flight risk from day one with his strong links back to St Kilda and the family all wanting the same thing. Whatever may happen, you’d be getting well compensated this year or next.

Personally can’t see it happening this year. And I don’t think Saints would want that. Our ideal world would be Hill this year and King next year. That being said, if he did ask to leave, we’d make it happen.

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan
Reckon the Dogs would do 2 firsts, we’re keen to trade next year’s due to NGA bids.
No we won't. Zero chance we will be will over pay. Especially when there are a couple of solid defenders that will be up around our pick in this years draft, and also that you can still get a very good player for a single pick or with added extras. Any team who gives up two first round picks for an unproven player, basing it on his potential in the future than actual production over a few year period, when two champions in Franklin and Dangerfield pretty much cost less, is foolish. In fact zero teams will give up two first round picks for him.

Besides defence is the number one issue for the Bulldogs at the moment, especially one with a ready made body/strong in one on one duels where we get smashed, even though King can swing both ends.

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
No we won't. Zero chance we will be will over pay. Especially when there are a couple of solid defenders that will be up around our pick in this years draft, and also that you can still get a very good player for a single pick or with added extras. Any team who gives up two first round picks for an unproven player, basing it on his potential in the future than actual production over a few year period, when two champions in Franklin and Dangerfield pretty much cost less, is foolish. In fact zero teams will give up two first round picks for him.

Besides defence is the number one issue for the Bulldogs at the moment, especially one with a ready made body/strong in one on one duels where we get smashed, even though King can swing both ends.
You have the cap and picks to go after very good ready made players over the next 2 years. Ones to immediately compliment your midfield. Puts you in finals contention now, not in 5yrs.

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda

Just me, but I’d be taking your pick to the draft this year, grabbing Keathe from the Crows, then going hard at an UFA or contracted player wanting our next year. Paying 2 x firsts for King or anyone else at this stage doesn’t make sense for your list. You have a good window coming up. Too many young players at big costs doesn’t suit.

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
You have the cap and picks to go after very good ready made players over the next 2 years. Ones to immediately compliment your midfield. Puts you in finals contention now, not in 5yrs.
That's in part why I think we won't be in the King talks. List is about a couple of years off from being solid for a few year period. We cannot wait for skinny, young defenders to be ready in 4-5 years. We have Naughton, faith in Schache, and a decent academy pick coming in next year. So our forward line is solid enough without needing major upgrades. The fact we don't have a true first and second defender, and players like Wood and Cordy are down the bottom for one on one contests won vs many other defenders in the league shows we are desperate for someone ready to go now. So we may have to cough up next years first round pick and extras to get someone in. So doubt we will have two first round picks available. If we did play for King, we may tempt Gold Coast with players and pick combo, seeing they are desperate for experience.

Even then we would be stupid to bank our future on, and over pay for a player who isn't even a star, but a kid whos ceiling is unknown. It would be terrible list management for anyone to cough up two firsts. Hence no team will do it, no matter how many on here seem to think so.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda

He may still be unproven but he's a lot more proven the the "solid" defenders you'd be looking at this year.

Last year is looking like one of the strongest drafts we've seen and King has started his career very well so far.

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Just me, but I’d be taking your pick to the draft this year, grabbing Keathe from the Crows, then going hard at an UFA or contracted player wanting our next year. Paying 2 x firsts for King or anyone else at this stage doesn’t make sense for your list. You have a good window coming up. Too many young players at big costs doesn’t suit.

Yeah you pretty much answered it perfectly. My ideal scenario would be to target Keath, another ready made player on wing and defence, and take this years first round pick to the draft and target a player like McAsey, who I doubt will reach us any way.

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
He may still be unproven but he's a lot more proven the the "solid" defenders you'd be looking at this year.

Last year is looking like one of the strongest drafts we've seen and King has started his career very well so far.
That's the thing, many players have had great first seasons, and then gone on to be very average players. It's to small a sample. Yes someone will have to cough up a first round pick and extras, but I seriously doubt it will be two firsts. No one will pay up that much/he isn't worth that much yet.

Back