Recommitted Ben King [re-signed until 2024]

Original OP by the Ziebull:

Every Vic club will be throwing the kitchen sink at Ben King now that he’s finally out of contract.

the bloke has shown he can play key forward at afl level and has even played key back for a lot of his junior career

expecting some monster offers his way dollar wise, does he finally come home?

a lot could rest on how well GC go

Last edited by a moderator:

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
Should cost a first rounder plus a future first

more if he went to a top 8 team with higher picks

I think we'll pony up the price.

Yep, I think this a very good chance of happening.

Could see him landing at the Saints too if a few things line up for them a they re-enter the Top 8.

Having 2 father sons next year makes trading out our first a viable option paired with a future first with a 2nd or 3rd returning for points.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Should cost a first rounder plus a future first

more if he went to a top 8 team with higher picks
We'd probably offer GC a top 3 pick + future 1st (probably another top 5 pick).

Whether they should take that or not is a different question. GC shouldn't be trading Ben at any cost really.

But if Ben requested a trade himself then 2x top 5 picks is a fair compensation.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's too small of a sample size to get too carried away but the emergence of Sharman could or should change St Kilda's approach here.

If he can continue tracking the way he has started he could end up a very handy number 2 to Max with Marshall and Membrey also playing supporting roles.

Saints may just be better off setting their eyes on another target.

little_ripper

Debutant
Jan 19, 2010
North Pole
AFL Club
Essendon

Having 2 father sons next year makes trading out our first a viable option paired with a future first with a 2nd or 3rd returning for points.

yeah this is spot on. Essendon will just look to have enough draft points to recruit Alwyn Davey’s boys(at least one of them). So highly likely if Ben wants to play at the Dons, we will offer up the two first rounders that Gold Coast would ask.

He is a very good player and worth that.

That being said, I think they will be doing everything to convince him to stay. Would stuff the club to have him walk. Lynch all over again but worse for them and you would have to wonder if the Suns will ever be viable if it was to happen.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Will ride a lot on how we do next year. If we push for finals, I can see him staying until FA. Apparently has a great relationship with Dew, so if Dew does the business, gets us to 10+ wins and a new contract for himself, could see Ben staying on.

Though I do love the flogs that question if the club should exist if player X leaves. 2022 will be fun.

I do feel pretty confident that if he leaves, Essendon would be the likely destination.

In terms of a trade, as mentioned above, having the Davey twins as F/S makes it easy for us. Something like the below...

2022 1st + 2022 2nd + 2023 1st = Ben King + 2022 3rd

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I do feel pretty confident that if he leaves, Essendon would be the likely destination.

In terms of a trade, as mentioned above, having the Davey twins as F/S makes it easy for us. Something like the below...

2022 1st + 2022 2nd + 2023 1st = Ben King + 2022 3rd
Where did you get your confidence from lol

The above bid isn't even competitive, Collingwood alongside every other Victorian club would be matching if not easily beating that offer.

We can probably do 2x top 3/top 5 picks for example which easily trumps your deal.

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon

The above bid isn't even competitive, Collingwood alongside every other Victorian club would be matching if not easily beating that offer.

We can probably do 2x top 3/top 5 picks for example which easily trumps your deal.
Collingwood might be able to beat the offer but ultimately the choice is Bens, doesn't matter of the pies offer 5x1st round picks if he chooses another club it means nothing.

No reason for Ben to choose pies since their is another 5 years of wilderness pain of nothingness ahead, he might as well stay at GC.

little_ripper

Debutant
Jan 19, 2010
North Pole
AFL Club
Essendon

Yeah I think your on the money. If King requests a trade to Victoria
Will ride a lot on how we do next year. If we push for finals, I can see him staying until FA. Apparently has a great relationship with Dew, so if Dew does the business, gets us to 10+ wins and a new contract for himself, could see Ben staying on.

Though I do love the flogs that question if the club should exist if player X leaves. 2022 will be fun.

The suns have to be bigger than any one player, that’s true. But they also need a guy like Ben to straighten them up and be competitive.

it would have to be frustrating as a supporter after Lynch packed it up and left given how much luck/time and or effort goes into getting a good big man up forward.

which Benny King undoubtedly is.(there might end up being better of his generation but he’s quality, known form)

Surely Gold Coast don’t want to start yet again and they haven’t been attracting the big fish up there to play in terms of trade.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Collingwood might be able to beat the offer but ultimately the choice is Bens, doesn't matter of the pies offer 5x1st round picks if he chooses another club it means nothing.

No reason for Ben to choose pies since their is another 5 years of wilderness pain of nothingness ahead, he might as well stay at GC.
HAHAHAHA when was the last time you won a final again :)

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Tom Boyd moved to the Dogs the same year we finished 14th, had our captain request a trade, lost Higgins to FA, Jones and Cooney in trades, and fired our coach. Two years later he helps break the drought.

The Pies made a GF only 3 years ago. It's not out of the question for him to move there, even if they appear to be at their absolute lowest right now.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
That's basically what Shiel cost. I think GC would be looking at more than unless it was a club like North offering a top 5 pick and future 1st

Shiel was contracted.

It’s not perfect, but Gold Coast don’t have a lot of leverage.

If King is open to heading to multiple clubs the Suns might be compensated properly, but I can’t see it happening.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

Being able to trump the deal is irrelevant.

Plenty of clubs could theoretically offer more than the Bombers, but if that’s the club he nominates that’s where he will end up.

Collingwood are not an attractive destination for talented players currently and short of a complete reversal of fortunes next year I can’t see King having any interest in joining the Pies.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
A team like North will presumably offer him something crazy like $10mil over 8 years. Which will be mighty hard to knock back.

Hope we don’t offer him any more than about $800K PA, especially if Sharman and Max continue the way they left off.

If they do, getting Ben would be pure luxury. Unless of course he’s happy to play CHB.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
It's too small of a sample size to get too carried away but the emergence of Sharman could or should change St Kilda's approach here.

If he can continue tracking the way he has started he could end up a very handy number 2 to Max with Marshall and Membrey also playing supporting roles.

Saints may just be better off setting their eyes on another target.
Who have U got down back?

Bit like my mob.

We are ok up fwd but we can't find a tall key defender for love or money.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
A team like North will presumably offer him something crazy like $10mil over 8 years. Which will be mighty hard to knock back.

Hope we don’t offer him any more than about $800K PA, especially if Sharman and Max continue the way they left off.

If they do, getting Ben would be pure luxury. Unless of course he’s happy to play CHB.
Noth don't need him with Larkey, Comben, McKay

I think Pies and Bombers will go hard...

Pies especially...

Back