Recommitted Ben King [re-signed until 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a tough situation for all involved. There'd be an added level of uncertainty. Does he get back the same? How long before he's at his best? Is he worth the same deal he was?
How much of his future contract was going to grow or be validated based on if he played well again this year?

I think there'd be some other clubs still all guns blazing, but some clubs might have just cooled a bit.

IMO something like this where he will spend the whole year in rehab supported by his team mates and club could just be the thing that secures him there on a long deal.

I hope he stays but why would other clubs cool on him?

Nothing’s really changed. They weren’t having him this year anyway

I hope he stays but why would other clubs cool on him?

Nothing’s really changed. They weren’t having him this year anyway
The ACL makes it a bigger risk. The vic clubs would have been putting together long and hefty contracts. It’s buyer beware now - lots of players have had careers cut short due repeated ACLs.

I'm more than likely in the minority here for Saints supporters but I hope he signs.

I'm pretty happy with our key forward stocks at the moment and think after the start of his career we should persist with Sharman to partner Max.

Anyone thinking that Ben might be happy to move to defence is kidding themselves and I also think it would be a bold move to give up 900k and 2 first round picks for a proven forward in the hope that he could produce as much as a defender.

I'm more than likely in the minority here for Saints supporters but I hope he signs.

I'm pretty happy with our key forward stocks at the moment and think after the start of his career we should persist with Sharman to partner Max.

Anyone thinking that Ben might be happy to move to defence is kidding themselves and I also think it would be a bold move to give up 900k and 2 first round picks for a proven forward in the hope that he could produce as much as a defender.

As a neutral completely agree. St Kilda are set for talls up forward, what they need is more mids and a small forward to come on IMO

As a neutral completely agree. St Kilda are set for talls up forward, what they need is more mids and a small forward to come on IMO
We have small forwards pretty well covered.

CHB is probably our biggest question mark moving forward - everyone is hoping Battle can settle into it this year but that's not guaranteed.

An absolute critical year for the Suns, the one off rescue package handed them by the AFL will quickly fade if they have a number of go homers at the end of the year. It will then become a never ending death spiral for them.

I hope Ben King stays, as well as Lukocious and Rankine despite us no doubt trying hard to lure the latter two home to the Crows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ACL makes it a bigger risk. The vic clubs would have been putting together long and hefty contracts. It’s buyer beware now - lots of players have had careers cut short due repeated ACLs.
Yep with Riewoldt in his last year and Lynch well and truly in the veteran category I thought King would be a good fit for Richmond. However, King’s injury is a serious reality check. Not so much that it’s an ACL (bad as that is) but because it was caused in reportedly such an innocuous incident. That just never bodes well for the future.

Certainly I think many will be watching the durability of Max King this year to try to get a sense of Ben”s prospects going forward.

Last edited:
Ben King is expected to recommit his future to Gold Coast on a two-season deal in a massive momentum boost for the AFL’s expansion club.
News Corp reported last month the Suns were confident King wanted to build something special at Gold Coast and were optimistic he would sign a two-year deal early in the season.

King is recovering in Melbourne after an ACL tear that will wipe out his 2022 season.

King’s manager Robbie D’Orazio has made clear his player is loyal to the Suns and while a deal is not yet done all signs point to a contract renewal.

“There’s an offer from Gold Coast,” D’Orazio said on SEN.

“I caught up with Ben during the week and he had surgery about five days ago in Melbourne, we will sit down in the next few weeks and try and get a deal down or at least present the opportunities that lay in front of him.

“He’s a really loyal person and having discussions with him, for mine I think he’s pretty happy where he sits at the moment.

Ah Saints fans

This is a bigger kick in the guts for them than the time they were penciling Fyfe into their best 22 when we was going to sign for them lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back