Recommitted Ben King [re-signed until 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
His name features in so many trade discussions on Victorian club boards, its practically a meme.

Earlier in the year, Ben King was reported to have significant interest from Essendon, Collingwood, Melbourne and St Kilda, according to Tom Morris.

(I imagine there are other clubs too.)

Then, two months ago, the Suns' list boss confirmed there's been an offer in front of him that would keep him at the club until free agency.

But will he actually sign it?

His name features in so many trade discussions on Victorian club boards, its practically a meme.

Earlier in the year, Ben King was reported to have significant interest from Essendon, Collingwood, Melbourne and St Kilda, according to Tom Morris.

Then, two months ago, the Suns' list boss confirmed there's been an offer in front of him that would keep him at the club until free agency.

When is free agency for him?

Id trade him if I was Gold Coast. Would rather run with Walters and Lukosius. Too much salary in the forward line by 2028 if they keep him around

Too lazy and unfit to be relied upon in a finals campaign.

Id trade him if I was Gold Coast. Would rather run with Walters and Lukosius. Too much salary in the forward line by 2028 if they keep him around

Too lazy and unfit to be relied upon in a finals campaign.
If they did decide to cash in, they could bank serious draft capital again or look to wind a deal in with a player and picks etc. Not sure if Luko will be there past his next contract though.....

I would be very surprised if Ben did not extend. It looks like players are buzzing under Dimma who brought a new hope.

Having say that if Suns don't have success (play finals) under Dimma in next 2-3 years I could foresee some top talent leaving. Similarly, to May, Lynch, Prestia, JOMwho after 5-6 plus years assessed the situation and decided to leave for success.

Rarely, players stay long-term (whole career) without success like Swallow, Miller.

I would be very surprised if Ben did not extend. It looks like players are buzzing under Dimma who brought a new hope.

Having say that if Suns don't have success (play finals) under Dimma in next 2-3 years I could foresee some top talent leaving. Similarly, to May, Lynch, Prestia, JOMwho after 5-6 plus years assessed the situation and decided to leave for success.

Rarely, players stay long-term (whole career) without success like Swallow, Miller.
With multiple reports that Read is being “schooled” as a forward, it would not surprise if King is undecided or “worse” from a Suns perspective.

Ben will re-sign before season starts :)

Might not be that soon but nothing to be worried about at this time, that's for sure.

Read being played forward is purely because Dimma understands the importance of the ruck/KPF role which is currently Levi's gig but they'll need something long term

As others have said, the best move for parties is for Ben to re-sign for two more years which will take him into free agency !

I feel like Ben owes the club to stick around for a couple more years (paid him big money when he has been injured)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As others have said, the best move for parties is for Ben to re-sign for two more years which will take him into free agency !

I feel like Ben owes the club to stick around for a couple more years (paid him big money when he has been injured)
He doesn’t owe the club anything.
He got injured on the job working for the club.
And his contract for that year wasn’t exorbitant.

Reckon he will get just as much at the end of this year than what he will in free agency.

The question will come as to whether he wants to hang around up north. No point wasting two years of your life if you can come home early and get paid a similar amount of coin to do so.

That’s all dependant on his intentions though, which is all speculative in this thread.

He doesn’t owe the club anything.
He got injured on the job working for the club.
And his contract for that year wasn’t exorbitant.

Reckon he will get just as much at the end of this year than what he will in free agency.

The question will come as to whether he wants to hang around up north. No point wasting two years of your life if you can come home early and get paid a similar amount of coin to do so.

That’s all dependant on his intentions though, which is all speculative in this thread.
Waiting till free agency gives him more options because the club doesn’t have to come up with trade currency.

I can't see why a young forward would leave a team like that on the rise. Most likely extends till 26 then cashes in.

GC list management has flipped the script from now on. They no longer have to overpay to retain and can use the potential of the list as a carrot to keep the interstater's from going home.
I have heard this a few times, every time they have had a mini reset. I think we can just wait until they show us they are on the up surely? I think Ben stays and they may make that leap this year but people have been sprouting 'it is different this time' for quite a few years.

Waiting till free agency gives him more options because the club doesn’t have to come up with trade currency.
Yup, but if a club wants him, they will pony up the picks to get an extra two years out of him by bringing him back early. Why wait for two years when you could have him early, then get in a bidding war with other clubs?

Multiple clubs will be into him next year if he expresses an interest in coming back to Melb. Just because they have to pay in draft collateral won’t hold them back.

I have heard this a few times, every time they have had a mini reset. I think we can just wait until they show us they are on the up surely? I think Ben stays and they may make that leap this year but people have been sprouting 'it is different this time' for quite a few years.

They actually have a decent coach for one thing.

They actually have a decent coach for one thing.
They finished higher on the ladder and with more wins in 2022 compared to 2023. By definition they are not 'on the up'. Dimma does not guarantee anything, would you like a list of all the good/great coaches that have moved and never come close to replicating that level at the new club? They have talent and they have hope, but i think it is fair to wait and see how things progress before declaring anything.

Yup, but if a club wants him, they will pony up the picks to get an extra two years out of him by bringing him back early. Why wait for two years when you could have him early, then get in a bidding war with other clubs?

Multiple clubs will be into him next year if he expresses an interest in coming back to Melb. Just because they have to pay in draft collateral won’t hold them back.
The question is does Ben King want that club?

The teams likely willing to pay up and have the currency aren’t going to challenging and could be potentially jeopardising their rebuild by giving up that currency. Does King want to go to a club like that or does he want to be able to easily walk to a challenger and win premierships like Tom Lynch before him?

The question is does Ben King want that club?

The teams likely willing to pay up and have the currency aren’t going to challenging and could be potentially jeopardising their rebuild by giving up that currency. Does King want to go to a club like that or does he want to be able to easily walk to a challenger and win premierships like Tom Lynch before him?

Difference this time compared to the Tom Lynch F/A situation is the clubs that probably need King the most (Essendon, Richmond and Hawthorn) are still rebuilding heavily and won't be in the finals contention for a few more years, let alone a challenge for the flag

Collingwood and St Kilda will have a crack, but probably not the draft capital to get a deal done.

He will stay at the Suns for a couple more years (with a little help from ambassador money from the AFL on the side one would assume)

Difference this time compared to the Tom Lynch F/A situation is the clubs that probably need King the most (Essendon, Richmond and Hawthorn) are still rebuilding heavily and won't be in the finals contention for a few more years, let alone a challenge for the flag

Collingwood and St Kilda will have a crack, but probably not the draft capital to get a deal done.

He will stay at the Suns for a couple more years (with a little help from ambassador money from the AFL on the side one would assume)
That backs up my point

That backs up my point

Hawthorn and Richmond supporters I think are the ones (wishfully imo) think King will leave and their join their club.

If he wants to actually play in finals, the Suns are the best situation for him right now.

Might not be that soon but nothing to be worried about at this time, that's for sure.

Read being played forward is purely because Dimma understands the importance of the ruck/KPF role which is currently Levi's gig but they'll need something long term
It's only natural to speculate until Ben re-signs. A big fish. So far, he always re-signed before season started. Signs are positive, he loves his mates (very close to Ballard, Anderson, Rowell who all committed), girlfriend moved to his unbelievable house, loves GC lifestyle.

In 2 years it could be different story (without success). Right now, with fresh hope under Dimma, I would be shocked if Ben does not re-sign.

He needs to stay healthy. His knee was sore after bye last year and had to be managed.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back