Recommitted Ben King [re-signed until 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Problem is if Hawthorn want to wait till he becomes a F/A, and.he wants to return home to Vic, you'll likely be gazzumped by Richmond, who definitely have the trade/draft capital to swing a deal for King with all their 2024 picks on hand.
Very possible. My hope is that by then we have shown ourselves to be on the rise and king (or someone) chooses us regardless of money (whilst still having a fairly competitive offer) like Cameron and Lynch did.

I look at those two free agency trades as the model for us to follow.

Very possible. My hope is that by then we have shown ourselves to be on the rise and king (or someone) chooses us regardless of money (whilst still having a fairly competitive offer) like Cameron and Lynch did.

I look at those two free agency trades as the model for us to follow.

Betting on too many variables in those cases mate. Although I can see why you want to hold on to your draft capital. I personally think if King re-signs at the Suns (likely for a a couple of years to take him to Free Agency) he is likely to be a Gold Coast player for life, with all their gun kids coming through .

Just my gut feeling.

Betting on too many variables in those cases mate. Although I can see why you want to hold on to your draft capital. I personally think if King re-signs at the Suns (likely for a a couple of years to take him to Free Agency) he is likely to be a Gold Coast player for life, with all their gun kids coming through .

Just my gut feeling.
Building a flag winning list isn't easy. It always takes risks and gambles. There is no simple way to do it.

According to SEN, set to sign a new deal to lock him away until Free Agency:

This news will disappoint many Victorian teams but King has been very consistent on his desire to stay on the GC throughout his six years in the league. Damien Harwick now knows he has Ben King (pick 6), Jack Lukosius (pick 2) and Jed Walter (pick 3) all locked in until at least 2026 and that should mean he has a genuine shot at a flag over the next three seasons, which was the message communicated by upper management last week. Just need to add in/develop a high quality small forward (or two) and then you're probably looking at the best forward line in the league in the near future.

Good for the Suns and good for the league.

Will be some huge deals in front of him at the end of 2026 though!

Really hope the days of the Suns bleeding talent are truly over now. Geez we are ****ed if Petty leaves now though, not sure there is any other good KPF that is gettable?
Afl Freo GIF by Fremantle Dockers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that the Suns drafted a Melbourne kid, away from his twin brother, said brother got to stay in Melbourne with family, have never played finals yet been able to retain him is pretty amazing.

Well done Suns.
Yeah, I don't think we get enough credit for this. My understanding is when we first drafted him he wasn't too keen on being here (understandable given the circumstances) but fell in love with the place after a few years. Add in the fact that his twin brother was drafted to the team they both supported growing up and that the Saints have had several cracks at landing him already, as well as big Melbourne clubs like Essendon, it says a lot that he's decided to stay loyal to the Suns.

The most difficult part of rebuilding an AFL list is convincing the high end talent to remain patient while the list builds and we've seen many failed attempts at a premiership list build over the years. Imagine what Richmond would have become if a 22 year old Dusty had left in 2013 when he was touring GWS's facilities and was offered a massive contract from the Giants. Most likely another failed premiership list build.

Last edited:
Fairly damning that he only signed until Free Agency
Considering that Suns did not play finals so far in Ben's career and Saints fans were predicting that Ben will join them every second year that's pretty decent outcome for Suns for Ben staying min 8 years.

With some exceptions most players don't stay forever without success. I would say if Dimma fails and Suns are still at the bottom in 3 years then I would expect Suns players like Ben will probably leave, similar to Lynch, May, Prestia.

Suns do have a list now to make finals but there is no guarantee with crazy even competition. The next step is most difficult, probably more mental than anything else. It will be fun to watch next 2-3 years. If Suns become serious contender, most players will stay. I would even predict Suns can become destination similar to Lions. Not all players enjoy Melbourne bubble.

Most important for Ben is staying healthy. Similar to his brother he had a rough patch. He looked a way off in practice game.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back