List Mgmt. Ben King

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like Adelaide did with Crouch?
A) We aren’t rebuilding and forcing him out. He is someone with currency that we could let leave and that we shouldn’t negotiate a deal above 650k for.
B) can’t imagine JB gets Pulled over with a mate and they have drugs in the car either.

The only fly in the ointment with all this Billings talk is that if North is the highest bidder, we don't have much bargaining power. However if i was Billings after being in a mediocre Saints for years, the offer would have to be pretty bloody enticing to go to that club as he will probably never play finals.

Really think the most enticing would be Essendon who would want to get him for 500k and offer us a future third.
He is 26 in august with a career that has a short life span.

There is also the aspect where his value to others might be at the highest it will ever be.

I think if any poster on here was in the same position, whereby this is there last chance at a big deal - the dollars would have a significant impact.

We need to stop trading our high draft picks away. They are critical for our future.

I want Ben King too but I reckon we wait until he is a free agent. Otherwise, it's 2 top 10 picks minimum I dare say.
Even if he is a restricted free agent they can force us to the trade table. The threat only works if we finish dead last.

aka carlton and Martin and even then they paid him 1mil to scare off other suitors.

If we get Bing, what do we think our forward line setup will look like. We are already struggling to find Battle a spot and it doesn't seem as though we are interested in him playing CHB. Especially if Ryder plays on and one of him/Marshall is playing resting forward. Membrey might also spend more time as a defender playing in the hole like he did the other week? For me, I think it looks something like this

CHF: Membrey Bing Butler
FF: Higgings, Ming, Marshall/Ryder

For me, I think this might be a little tall. Yes, all of Membrey King X2 and Marshall/Ryder are good at ground level but I think it's just missing a smaller crumbing type. The only thing I could think of is if Membrey is in a rotation with a Gresham/Billings type, but they play completely different positions. This leaves Battle, we all know the guy has potential, but we aren't utilising it properly and I feel as though he might be offered to Gold Coast as part of a trade. He might see an opportunity to lock down a CHF position there? The only way I can see him staying is if he is being guaranteed a forward position in the future after Ryder retires (say as a chop out with Marshall in Ruck) so it would look like this

CHF: Membrey, Bing, Butler
FF: Higgins, Ming, Marshall/Battle
I was wondering the same.

Others will disagree, but at this point l think Battle plays 3rd tall in the backline and gets the swing man roll.

Some will say we shouldn't go too tall, but if we are able to dominate then it matters not.

Billings either stays on a good wage with us or he leaves for a very good wage elsewhere and we get a top 10 pick.

So really the choices are:
- match any offers and keep JB on more than we feel he is worth
- take compensation which would be a top 10 pick as we would be offering him a contract good enough to trigger that anyway (so any other team has to offer more than that).

You’d want to be pretty confident that the top 10 pick can be turned into Ben King or another top player that will impact straight away as the draft is a lottery.

Considering some of the blunders we’ve made with high-end draft picks (Billings over Bont and Cripps, McCartin over Petracca, Long over Bolton, Coffield over Naughton etc etc.) I’m more than happy to take Ben, a guaranteed superstar and try our luck a bit later in the draft or via trade. Not every high end draft pick works out.

Also not every superstar is secured for a high end draft pick. Just look at our two best mids for the last decade- Steele was secured for a future 2nd and Jack Steven was pick 42.

Considering some of the blunders we’ve made with high-end draft picks (Billings over Bont and Cripps, McCartin over Petracca, Long over Bolton, Coffield over Naughton etc etc.) I’m more than happy to take Ben, a guaranteed superstar and try our luck a bit later in the draft or via trade. Not every high end draft pick works out.

Also not every superstar is secured for a high end draft pick. Just look at our two best mids for the last decade- Steele was secured for a future 2nd and Jack Steven was pick 42.

We need to get better at nailing our picks.

We're not going to become a premiership team by just recruiting players from other teams

Billings either stays on a good wage with us or he leaves for a very good wage elsewhere and we get a top 10 pick.

- take compensation which would be a top 10 pick as we would be offering him a contract good enough to trigger that anyway (so any other team has to offer more than that).

You’d want to be pretty confident that the top 10 pick can be turned into Ben King or another top player that will impact straight away as the draft is a lottery.

If Zac Williams gets 800-900k i can't see Billings not getting a similar offer. If he's after money, let him go. I don't think he's worth more then 650k.

What we pay for BING that concerns me. Two first rounders is a high price to pay. Only think he's worth a 1st + a 2nd. If we hand over the two first rounders for BING then i want two second rounders back so we have something to hit the draft with.

Or else wait to next year and get him as an UFA.

Personally would prefer to use any top 10 pick this year (if we obtain one) on a pure mid to complement Steele, Clark, Jones, Crouch, Gresham. Looking at the likes of Nik Cox, Perkins etc running around this year makes me jealous.
Then offer GC a first round pick at the end of 2022 when Bens out of contract and they have less bargaining power.

It’ll be soul crushing for Gold Coast if ben does request a trade home.

He wanted to come last contract he signed going by his fathers comments asking Lethlean "what they should do?". We didn't have the picks to shake him loose + the AFL bumped up his money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Presuming that is true, of course.

Completely true, he and Lukosious got the same "Ambassador" money from the AFL. Essentially they rorted the SC for Fold Coast by 300k a year because their faile experiment is needed so the exec's at the AFL can get their bonuses.

If Zac Williams gets 800-900k i can't see Billings not getting a similar offer. If he's after money, let him go. I don't think he's worth more then 650k.

What we pay for BING that concerns me. Two first rounders is a high price to pay. Only think he's worth a 1st + a 2nd. If we hand over the two first rounders for BING then i want two second rounders back so we have something to hit the draft with.

I would say he's worth 2 x first-round picks but not for us.

We can't afford that

iGSRAYW.gif

He isn’t and won’t be a UFA.

he will be an RFA and the league will ensure there is cap space to match any deal - you would assume we offer a parity deal to his brother.

so it’s a 2xfirst round pick trade (current going rate for mega trades).

We have 1 first rounder each year and any smart recruiter would know we have a s**t draw and injuries to key players this year - next year it is a realistic belief we rise with a softer draw and players returning.

so we need to find 1 more first this year and try bring him home now.

Why tf is everyone hell bent on destroying our capacity to bring in any draft talent or pay for more than 2 decent players in the cap? Ben won't be coming for less money than Max or less than 2 early first rounders. We simply don't have either of those to give. Give up on the bing dream already ffs.

Why tf is everyone hell bent on destroying our capacity to bring in any draft talent or pay for more than 2 decent players in the cap? Ben won't be coming for less money than Max or less than 2 early first rounders. We simply don't have either of those to give. Give up on the bing dream already ffs.

Not sure if serious. Give up on Ben King? lol

I'd be seriously concerned if we gave up two firsts for Ben and didn't somehow work a first back to us either in that trade or via another.

Throwing multiple first rounders at for a key forward when we already have 3 excellent ones without working our way back into the draft would be list sabotage.

I’ve said it before, but Gold Coast had picks 2 & 3 in the 2018 draft and should have drafted the twins. Then both lads would have been there for life.

Max was drafted at pick 4 Ben at pick 6, but both weren’t a “reach” at picks 2 & 3. In fact, the package of drafting both boys should have boosted their value.

Drafting an identical twin (Ben), whose sibling (Max) was drafted by the club they had both supported all of their lives, in their home state, close to the family home, was always going to be a huge risk. I think the Suns did well to re-sign Ben at the end of 2019. It’s very unlikely they can keep him long term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back