Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
I remember watching him live in the VFL for Footscray a few years ago, thought he was an absolute jet. If we were keen he’d be playing forward but this smells like early trade week BS to be honest…
He has shown glimpses of being a very good forward. His issue is he disappears from games.

I didn't say he was better, just more talented. Both in similar positions at St Kilda in their final year.
Couldn’t be further from the truth

we never played Hind in his correct/suited position. Long has been given plenty of chances all over the ground

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Adds hardness and aggression. I think he is a player and more talented than a player like Hind who they moved on previously. I hope Geelong pick him up

Don’t really see Long as overly talented. He’s a an extremely hard at type who is a poor kick. What talent are you referring to?

He’s pretty good overhead for his size. Reminds me of a slightly better version of Matt Guelfi from Essendon.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Don’t really see Long as overly talented. He’s a an extremely hard at type who is a poor kick. What talent are you referring to?

He’s pretty good overhead for his size. Reminds me of a slightly better version of Matt Guelfi from Essendon.

Except that Guelfi actually kicks goals when moved forward.

No reason for us to go after Long.

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can play in both the back and forward. To say his kicking is bad never watch him in the backline. Very inconsistent though. He is better forward and was saints 1 of their better goal kickers before Butler came in.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I've got the impression he's a bit of a grub on field. Would otherwise have thought he's someone we'd be interested in given his history with the Dogs, and having the attributes we want for the side going forward (aggression, speed).

What's got him out of favour at the Saints?
Doesn’t lack in talent just has No discipline whatsoever will have good patches in games then give away a few stupid free kicks that cost you goals his the type of player that needs a hard arse coach that rides him 24/7

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ben’s main issue has always been the same.

He does some good to sometimes brilliant things, but just doesn’t find enough of the red thing.

And when he does he isn’t doing extraordinary enough things with it to make up for the lack of finding it enough. Even when he gets dropped back to the VFL he’ll have 8 disposals or something.

Last year he was pretty solid down back and was actually no.1 for us for intercept possessions per game, but now he’s behind Hill, Sinclair, Clark, Webster, Paton, Coffield and maybe even Connolly for a game back there, and up forward he’s only ever shown glimpses, and he’s behind guys like Gresham (when not playing midfield), Higgins, Butler and Byrnes, and was even behind Kent in the pecking order to end the year. Lonie and Wood other options.

I just did a best 22 and there were as many as 30 guys who I could quite happily have ahead of him in the pecking order to get a game.

He’s handy depth at this point as a “pressure forward”.

Hard as a cat’s head, extremely hard at it, extremely short fuse.

Last edited:
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Ben’s main issue has always been the same.

He does some good to sometimes brilliant things, but just doesn’t find enough of the red thing.

And when he does he isn’t doing extraordinary enough things with it to make up for the lack of finding it enough. Even when he gets dropped back to the VFL he’ll have 8 disposals or something.

Last year he was pretty solid down back and was actually no.1 for us for intercept possessions per game, but now he’s behind Hill, Sinclair, Clark, Webster, Paton, Coffield and maybe even Connolly for a game back there, and up forward he’s only ever shown glimpses, and he’s behind guys like Gresham (when not playing midfield), Higgins, Butler and Byrnes, and was even behind Kent in the pecking order to end the year. Lonie and Wood other options.

I just did a best 22 and there were as many as 30 guys who I could quite happily have ahead of him in the pecking order to get a game.

He’s handy depth at this point as a “pressure forward”.

Hard as a cat’s head, extremely hard at it, extremely short fuse.

Ben Long does occasionally love to snipe the occasional player or 2 doesnt he? lol

mad-saint-guy

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2005
Toronto, ON
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think if his surname wasn't Long, Ben probably wouldn't be on an AFL list. He has never been able to find enough of the ball and his skills are scrappy. His best asset is his physical presence but he also regularly gives away dumb free kicks. In 59 games he has never had more than 18 disposals or kicked more than 2 goals (despite playing most of them as a forward).

He has some pace but he's not lightning quick and his tank isn't great. I don't mind having him as a backup player but if anyone wants to give us a pick in the 30s, maybe even 40s then I'd do that deal.

Hind was a different case - he clearly had elite pace, decision making and skills but he struggled to stay involved when played as a small forward. Ben has had plenty of opportunities all over the ground and I don't think he's quite up to it. He did look like he was about to break out early in 2020 as an intercepting/rebounding defender but his form quickly tapered off.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Long would have made it in the 90s I think.

Not now though.

I imagine the Saints will progress past him soon. Some hope for him that Gresham/Paton don't come back all that well and he can remain part of the 22 as a role player.

But if we say that there's 4 flanker positions in the 22 either end of the ground - Sinclair, Coffield, Paton, Webster down back first and Gresham/Billings rotating, Butler, Sharman, & Higgins up forward all look to be better options, for a variety of reasons. Then you have the likes of mids changing position like Hill, third talls like Battle and Highmore who can get a gig in the side, and other fringe guys like Kent & Wood...I don't see Long as having the right tools to get much gametime barring injury.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If we let Xerri go Straight swap for Long would be fair

We'd probably have to give some degree of (later picks) draft upgrade too, or a pick thrown in. Long is 18-25th on a list, Xerri 25-30th sort of thing. Something like 47 and Xerri for 66 and Long. Doesn't really interest me, I'd rather keep the tall, but I think that's how it's go.

Disagree could give run off hbf or play a small forward role for us

definelty better than a pick upgrade
He's not an accumulator, doesn't have a big tank, gives away stupid free kicks, has never kicked more than 2 goals in a game and he has showed no inclination that he will be a dominating HBF. His highest career disposal count is only 18 after 59 games. Not what we need.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Disagree could give run off hbf or play a small forward role for us

definelty better than a pick upgrade

He’s not the type to give dash. He’s a bigger, stronger overhead but worse set shot version of Turner. Not a valuable player at all. I see some potential as a pressure forward where that manic attack on the footy can create chances.

Last edited:

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't know much about him so I looked up his bio on the St.Kilda website.

'Quick off the mark, elite with his ball use and utilising his harrowing presence in the defensive end,..'

Back