Ben Long hit on Darcy

Remove this Banner Ad

It will be 4 at least you reckon. You can see that he deliberately chose to bump, you can even see the moment he decides to change his mind from going the ball to the man. Went past the ball, was looking at the player, flush on the head, the player was down immediately for a long time. Would not be surprised if it was more.

Not so sure on this one Darcy dropped his height Ben Long had turned his back to him, Darcy seemed to collide with the hip of
Ben Long who remained grounded and in line with the ball. A convergence incident with players approaching from multiple
angles. I heard it on radio and the commentators made it sound a lot worse than it actually looks on the clip above, that said
those loose ball ones are tough to call in that who has the right to do what in line with duty of care.

Not so sure on this one Darcy dropped his height Ben Long had turned his back to him, Darcy seemed to collide with the hip of
Ben Long who remained grounded and in line with the ball. A convergence incident with players approaching from multiple
angles. I heard it on radio and the commentators made it sound a lot worse than it actually looks on the clip above, that said
those loose ball ones are tough to call in that who has the right to do what in line with duty of care.
Not sure what video you were watching

Deep s**t by today's standard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not Darcy's fault long decided to try and bump instead of going the ball

Fault shmault. Suspend him if you want. I’m talking about minimising head contact.

Sniping was taken out of the game long ago. While it’s still a contact sport players will make contact. If we want to maintain contact, there has to be an emphasis on protecting your head and not leading with it. Otherwise it’ll just keep happening.

Instead we largely lionise it as brave, which is kinda stupid.

Fault shmault. Suspend him if you want. I’m talking about minimising head contact.

Sniping was taken out of the game long ago. While it’s still a contact sport players will make contact. If we want to maintain contact, there has to be an emphasis on protecting your head and not leading with it. Otherwise it’ll just keep happening.

darcy was trying to pick up a dribbling ball in front of him. not sure how long your arms are but most people have to bend over to touch the ground.

instead of penalising the ball player, why not penalise the bloke who ignores the ball and tried to take out a player who is? this wasnt a head clash between two players going head first for the ball, or even a guy with his head down running into a stationary player. long took a run up from the side and didnt even try to contest the ball, he was just trying to take darcy out. thats just fine if he gets him legally, but if he get him flush in the head thats entirely longs fault and nothing to do with darcy.

darcy was trying to pick up a dribbling ball in front of him. not sure how long your arms are but most people have to bend over to touch the ground.

instead of penalising the ball player, why not penalise the bloke who ignores the ball and tried to take out a player who is? this wasnt a head clash between two players going head first for the ball, or even a guy with his head down running into a stationary player. long took a run up from the side and didnt even try to contest the ball, he was just trying to take darcy out. thats just fine if he gets him legally, but if he get him flush in the head thats entirely longs fault and nothing to do with darcy.

I’m not penalising Darcy, I’m talking about trying to stop head contact. Cheap hits have been taken out of the game successfully. If we still want to have a contact sport, the focus now needs to shift to technique so players don’t lead with their heads.

Long’s approach was far safer. Protect the ball with your body, not your head.

In a contact sport, if you run around bent over leading with your head, it’s going to get hit. It always will.

All this “running past the ball” etc rubbish isn’t relevant. It would be if Long’s ACTION was illegal, but it wasn’t. It wasn’t far away from the ball etc. The only reason he got his head was because it was hanging out.

It will just keep happening.

Well the game is called "football", not "bump".

To me it looked like he chose to run over the ball and put the bodywork on the player, Serong was first to the ball after too.

Chose to bump, didn't contest the ball. Would have been fine if he made an effort at the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back