Ben Long hit on Darcy

Remove this Banner Ad

It looks like he ran past the ball because of a bad bounce. It looked to me like he was just putting his body between the ball and an opponent while competing for it

It looks like he ran past the ball because of a bad bounce. It looked to me like he was just putting his body between the ball and an opponent while competing for it

If he chose to made contact with an opponent, contacting the head, then he's gone.

The onus to avoid head contact is on the person choosing to make contact.

Exactly the point, Long isn't expecting the big man to go to his knees head first. Darcy went to ground head first, Long had no where to go after that.

Except when he made his movement towards him, he was already bent over.

Doesn't really matter though, the rule is pretty simple...if you choose to bump and you hit the head, you're done.

Long chose to bump, and he hit the head. End of story.

Except when he made his movement towards him, he was already bent over.

Doesn't really matter though, the rule is pretty simple...if you choose to bump and you hit the head, you're done.

Long chose to bump, and he hit the head. End of story.

I disagree with that first point, no Darcy went to ground pretty quickly after Long was already committed.

But yes that is the rule. And a ridiculous rule at that. "The bump is dead", been like that for a while now, and aren't we worse for it. It's great that the real footy can be watched in old clips on youtube!

But yes that is the rule. And a ridiculous rule at that. "The bump is dead", been like that for a while now, and aren't we worse for it. It's great that the real footy can be watched in old clips on youtube!
Strongly disagree.

Accidents are always going to happen - but we are far better off with a game where blokes aren't regularly getting knocked out and unable to participate for the rest of the game (and usually the week after, not to mention the potential long term effects) because an opposition player collects their head with an errant hip & shoulder whilst they're in a vulnerable position trying to get the football.

Strongly disagree.

Accidents are always going to happen - but we are far better off with a game where blokes aren't regularly getting knocked out and unable to participate for the rest of the game (and usually the week after, not to mention the potential long term effects) because an opposition player collects their head with an errant hip & shoulder whilst they're in a vulnerable position trying to get the football.

I understand what you're saying, but that is part of contact sport. Injuries come with the game. How are we going to stop all the long term effects that retirees are suffering from like chronic knees, back, hips, shoulders, fingers etc etc....... That's sport. How many guys tackled this year have done their ankles? Will they ban the tackle now? The game is worse off without the bump. Many concussions come from hitting the ground or incidentals, not so much a bump.
It's a thoughtful discussion though.

I disagree with that first point, no Darcy went to ground pretty quickly after Long was already committed.

Not that old.

I understand what you're saying, but that is part of contact sport. Injuries come with the game. How are we going to stop all the long term effects that retirees are suffering from like chronic knees, back, hips, shoulders, fingers etc etc....... That's sport. How many guys tackled this year have done their ankles? Will they ban the tackle now? The game is worse off without the bump. Many concussions come from hitting the ground or incidentals, not so much a bump.
It's a thoughtful discussion though.
This was point about injuries being part of the game. We'll never stamp out concussions 100%, as with other injuries they'll happen from time to time and that's just the nature of contact sport.

The bump still has its place in the game, but any player choosing to do so does it with the knowledge that they must do it correctly or they'll cop a ban. That's the same with a tackle although the tackle, whilst being a significantly more integral part of our game, is far less risky.

In my opinion the AFL aren't trying to completely get rid of either (particularly not the tackle), they're just trying to stamp out poor technique which results in a head injury to the player its being applied to.

Everyone is talking about his "atrocious technique" without explaining how he should have gone for the ball.

And I don't want Long to have the book thrown at him either. I think it's an awkward set of circumstances but I'm going to go into bat for Darcy because he didn't put his head down and didn't throw his body around into another player like he could have.
Should not could

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was point about injuries being part of the game. We'll never stamp out concussions 100%, as with other injuries they'll happen from time to time and that's just the nature of contact sport.

The bump still has its place in the game, but any player choosing to do so does it with the knowledge that they must do it correctly or they'll cop a ban. That's the same with a tackle although the tackle, whilst being a significantly more integral part of our game, is far less risky.

In my opinion the AFL aren't trying to completely get rid of either (particularly not the tackle), they're just trying to stamp out poor technique which results in a head injury to the player its being applied to.
There’s only one example of poor technique in this situation and it’s the big guy in the contest who looks like a chicken running across the Monash

Not so sure on this one Darcy dropped his height Ben Long had turned his back to him, Darcy seemed to collide with the hip of
Ben Long who remained grounded and in line with the ball. A convergence incident with players approaching from multiple
angles. I heard it on radio and the commentators made it sound a lot worse than it actually looks on the clip above, that said
those loose ball ones are tough to call in that who has the right to do what in line with duty of care.

Sensible post. Unfortunately the AFL will punish him because of the level of impact.

In slow motion you can see Long turned his back to Darcy and Darcy on one knee hit his head on Longs lower back, not the hip. Long cut across in front of Darcy and turned his back to the 200 cm ruckman. It was Darcy's momentum and dropping to the knee that contributed to a head clash with Long's lower back.

Its not a clear cut case IMO. A bit of a strange one.

If he chose to made contact with an opponent, contacting the head, then he's gone.

The onus to avoid head contact is on the person choosing to make contact.

He put his body between the ball and Darcy and turned his back to the opponent. A block to clear the area round the ball and not allow Darcy to take possession.

How did he intend to hit him in the head? It wasnt a clear / direct hip and shoulder contact.

He put his body between the ball and Darcy and turned his back to the opponent. A block to clear the area round the ball and not allow Darcy to take possession.

How did he intend to hit him in the head? It wasnt a clear / direct hip and shoulder contact.
He's not even looking at the ball. His sole intention was to take Darcy out of the contest as after he completed that the ball was long gone (pun intented). This was from a throw in, Darcy is stationary so hardly fair that Long comes in at full pace just to clear space around the ball when Darcy has every right to be there. He chose to bump, concussed him and gained an advantage for his team, therefore he gets the biggest penalty compared to the other similar hits from this round.

Sensible post. Unfortunately the AFL will punish him because of the level of impact.

In slow motion you can see Long turned his back to Darcy and Darcy on one knee hit his head on Longs lower back, not the hip. Long cut across in front of Darcy and turned his back to the 200 cm ruckman. It was Darcy's momentum and dropping to the knee that contributed to a head clash with Long's lower back.

Its not a clear cut case IMO. A bit of a strange one.
That video angle in the OP makes the incident look a little worse than it seemed from other angles, but the MRP seem to go by result rather than intent. Given Long elected to bump (duty of care, etc) and Darcy couldn't continue the game, Long gets weeks.

Similar to this one eh?

Johnson got 4 weeks for this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back