Traded Ben Long

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
No goals this week against the Pies VFL team. 6th best with 12 disposals, 5 tackles and no score.

Hope he gets to break through for more games this year.

Last edited:

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
Just the 7 disposals with 1 mark, 5 tackles and 3 frees against :eek:

Would love to see him get game time but will have to work hardrr to force his way in. Was not there so hard to tell with little info the exact tole he played.

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
Great to see my boy get into the 25 to take on Freo in Perth.
Fingers crossed he gets into the 22 and finds a bit of space with those wide pockets to show us what he's made of.

Ben signs up for two more years

https://shar.es/1BSeHg

bb3e69189e634ef140bf6ace59d066d3.jpg

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
Great to see Longy in action against the tiges this week. Didn't look out of place at all. Fast, skillful, agile, evasive, aggressive, tackling maniac. Long career ahead.... no pun intended.

Ben Long has had a taste and wants more.

St Kilda's first pick (No. 25) in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft played four games in his maiden season, but the brief exposure only whet his appetite.

He made his debut against Collingwood in Round 4, added another game a week later, before featuring twice more later in the year.

Now midway through his second summer at Linen House Centre, the livewire forward wants to sink his teeth into more in 2018.

“That has made me want a lot more,” Long told saints.com.au on Monday afternoon.

“Those four games have given me a taste of footy and I’m hungrier than ever to be out there and play more games this year.”

After being restricted to a modified program like all first-year players in his first pre-season, Long has been left off the leash this summer, where he has flourished on an increased diet.

“I’ve done all the training so far and it’s been really tough,” he said.

“It’s starting to crank up another notch since the break and will only get tougher with our camp down in Geelong, but I’m really enjoying it.

“It’s been really hard compared to last year, but at the same time it’s really enjoyable out there with the boys.

“Matty Hornsby [High Performance Manager] and the fitness staff really monitored our program last year as first-year boys and cut us out of sessions. But this time around we’ve done much more of the program.

"I’m seeing the results with my running and building that engine of mine which is one of my goals.

Long has worked closely with Ben McGlynn since the pair arrived at the club a month apart late in 2016 and credits the former Sydney and Hawthorn midfielder-forward for his development so far.

“I’m very close with Benny,” he said.

“He keeps a real eye on me and finds ways to help me get better in every aspect of my game, which is really good.”

Can’t wait for 2018 season.

After four senior games in his debut season, Ben Long is determined to be a regular fixture in the senior side in 2018.

With speed and agility to burn, Long has increased his endurance levels, while adding strength and size to his frame during the summer.

The hard work appears to be paying off with the livewire one of the standouts in Friday’s extensive match practice session.

Long regularly found space at half forward in the three 20-minute periods but it was in traffic where he impressed the most.

The 20-year-old set up Josh Battle for a set shot in the opening minute of the first 20-minute period, a little shimmy at full tilt enough to shake his opponent.

Minutes later he baulked two defenders to create a scoring opportunity from nothing, narrowly missing a boundary-line snap.

But perhaps the most impressive feature of Long’s performance was his ability to maintain his presence throughout, clearly benefiting from an improved tank.

Long said the match simulation was the best part of pre-season training.

“We talk a lot about our structures and how we want to go about it indoors, but when you get out there it’s a chance to put into action,” he said.

“I’ve personally come up to a different level of fitness and I can feel that out there in the match simulation stuff.

“I’m still building my fitness and strength and looking to take it up a notch.

“I know I’ve got a lot of hard work ahead of me to be in Richo’s plans for Round 1.”

Long is a strong chance to feature in St Kilda’s AFL X tournament with the small forward the prototype for a game that demands a high level of speed and skill.

Can’t wait for 2018 season.

I have high hopes for Longy. He has freaky skills that allow him to contribute significantly with only a few touches. In our desire to see him achieve the sort of stats to we think is necessary to warrant inclusion in our best 22, I hope we don't force him to give up most of that freaky stuff. His skills are the icing on the cake for a good team and he will be the difference between an "almost good enough" and an inspiring win.

Round 1 team is named:
FB: Geary - Brown - Webster
HB: Roberton - Carlisle - Savage
C: Sinclair - Steele - Acres
HF: Gresham - Bruce - Billings
FF: Clark - McCartin - Membrey
R: Longer - Ross - Steven
I: Newnes - Armitage - Stevens - Long

Newnes to rotate through half back and wing.
Armitage and Stevens to rotate through midfield.
Long to rotate through small forward role.

Genuinely bewildered as to Dunstan’s whereabouts. How is he not even an emergency?... has to be injured.

Still think Coffield showed far far far more than Long in preseason, shocked to see Long selected ahead of him. I thought we were going to rotate mids through the forward line...

Anyways, it’s a good looking line up overall. Pretty keen to see how we go against the Lions. No excuses, should be a 4-5 goal win.

Essentially Koby gets the nod ahead of Dunstan, and Long is ahead of Weller

Beg pardon sir
I do declare
Did you say Longy's in?
No Weller, No Lonie.
Ben Long, the smokey
will make the Lions spin.
Pack a lunch, head out
the Saints are about
to kick off the tricolor show.
Between McCartin and Bruce
Where the sherrin is loose
You'll be sure to see Longy go.

Game on Ben Long! Game number 5 for our 2016 pick and I hope our man gives us a good glimpse of his crumbing ability.

Congratulations Ben Long.

Lined up for for his 05th career match against the Brisbane Lions in Round 1 and recorded a career high 15 disposals, 6 marks and a goal. It took a while to warm into the game and Ben's disposal was at times frustrating. But as the game opened up in the third and fourth Ben started to really get involved. A solid start to 2018 and hopefully he can continue to play his part in the forward line.

upload_2018-3-27_20-8-44.png

576086.jpg

upload_2018-4-17_12-44-49.png

Some may not be aware but Ben at the age of 20 years (21 in August) is amongst the youngest players at the club. Only Coffield, Langlands, Clavarino, Paton, Clark, Battle, Phillips, and Gresham are younger. Ben is a full year younger then Jack Lonie, and 6 years younger than Weller two players he is competing with for the position of small forward.

Last edited:
May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes
What I liked about Long on the weekend was, he is quick to get to the ball, unfortunately he didnt realise opposition players were just as quick to get to him, so probably a little rushed in his disposals. A couple of matches in a row, to catch up to the speed of AFL & he could just turn into our x factor.

upload_2018-4-6_12-34-36.png

Ben's output dropped slightly, in Round2. But it was a difficult game for the forwards to get involved in as the ball hardly got past centre. He had a couple of cracks at goal but missed both. Still showing his youth and exuberance though and has held his spot for Round 3. Richo has asked for more physicality and Long loves physicality, so hopefully he can inject some vigour into the team.

578379.jpg
upload_2018-4-17_12-43-40.png

Last edited:
upload_2018-4-13_11-26-13.png

Ben had some nice glimpses in the game but still had no scoreboard impact against last years premiers. Perhaps the pressure is on him to meet his targets with his defensive pressure acts. But we would love to see him having more shots on goal. He must be ticking the right boxes though as he retains his spot in a forward line that boasts only one genuine tall - McCartin.

581353.jpg
upload_2018-4-17_12-42-19.png

Last edited:
upload_2018-4-17_12-23-24.png

Probably Ben Long's best game in his short career. Still struggling with his in-game consistency which was evidenced by no touches in the second quarter. But he bounced back to have a solid second half, when ihe was released into the midfield and won a few more possessions there. Kicked a lovely goal from the pocket in the third which is important to his role. Should hold his place again this week.

upload_2018-4-17_12-41-22.png

Back