Traded Ben Long

Remove this Banner Ad

Been looking for Ben on social media but no luck as yet. Anyone connected with him? Please PM me.

Hey Benny, if you are on bigfooty and happen to read this PM me please. The BF community want to know more about you bud.

Players not on social media is a good thing.

Been looking for Ben on social media but no luck as yet. Anyone connected with him? Please PM me.

Hey Benny, if you are on bigfooty and happen to read this PM me please. The BF community want to know more about you bud.
He's on Instagram.

Congrats Longy on being selected in the extended squad for this week against Carlton.
All the best for your first hitout in a Saints jumper!!!! :thumbsu:

St Kilda set to unveil Long and Rice in JLT2 :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

TR211216AT0678.jpg

St Kilda will unveil two fresh faces against Carlton at Ikon Park on Saturday afternoon with Ben Long and Bailey Rice set to play in the JLT Community Series fixture, according to Saints Assistant Coach Aaron Hamill. The pair were named in the Saints’ 29-man squad on Thursday afternoon and will make their first appearances following impressive pre-seasons at Linen House Centre.

Livewire forward Long was selected with St Kilda’s first pick (No. 25) in last November’s National Draft, while Rice was acquired a year earlier as a father-son recruit (No. 49) after he chose the Saints over Carlton despite being eligible for the navy blues.

Friday Microscope: JLT 2 v Carlton

“Ben Long will play and another one is Bailey Rice who has really impressed us over the pre-season,” Hamill told reporters at a press conference at Moorabbin on Friday.

“They are both really good young kids who have gone about it the right way, embraced pre-season the way it should be embraced.

“Ben is a real crafty forward and ‘Ricey’ is very much like his old man, excellent in the contest and can use the ball quite well for us so we’re looking to develop both of those guys and they’ll certainly get their opportunity at some stage.”

Longy's been up in Seymour witha few of the boys visiting schools.
Good work young fella!

upload_2017-3-3_21-3-39.png

Only JLT 2 and Longieboy only played a half but that half has our group salivating about what this excitement machine will bring to the table. 7 disposals, 7 tackles, 1 goal 1.
Some comments I've quoted from the JLT2 thread.

Looks like we have a ripper. His tackling is first rate. Also has confidence to take the game on and is a composed set shot for goal!

cant wait to see long

nice tackle Longy!

And my boy Longy gets his first touch.
May it be a long and illustrious career.

No pun intended

Good performances by Steele, Steven, Billings, Bruce, McCartin, Longer, Wright, Dunstan and Long in that 3rd Q

LONGY wow how about that

Benny Long!

Jade "break yo ankles" Gresham and Ben "break yo kneck" Long

:kiss: Long Goal :thumbsu:

LONGY!!!!!!!!

Wow Long does some impressive things

long is ferocious

Ben Long as a 19 year old in his first game had 7 tackles in a half of football.

Made a statement.

Long looks to be ripper,
Exactly the type Richo ordered from the recruiters too

Liked Long's half, think he's gone past Lonie/Wright already.

I reckon on that display Long will be in strong contention for a Rd3 spot.
Just what Richo demanded

Long looks more impressive than Lonie on what little I've seen of him

Long and Wright did well. I think the team's playing together for the first few times as Carlisle, Brown, Steele, Long, etc are playing together. Should improve as the season goes on...

If Long keeps tackling like that he'll be a lock in the 22 in no time. He's actually scary to watch.

Long did well from half the game. Very impressed by Steele, I didn't see last weeks match but he looks like a instant pick for the 22.

Crazy amount of competition for a spot between Wright, Lonie, Sincs, Minch, Long and maybe Gresh. 6 of them fighting for as few as one spot!

Good lord our additions are solid. If Carlisle, Brown, Steele and Long and the knock on effect their inclusions have does not elevate us to become a top 8 team well I'll be damned

Continually surprised by Wright, never thought he was going to make it, but he keeps getting better and better. Would almost be my first choice small in the forward line now

Long with 7 tackles in a half is impressive.
At the end of the day we played nobody but the way we went about it put a smile on my face.

If Long turns out 1/4 as good as Cuz I'd be rapt.

Long for his first game was outstanding.

Steele, Long and Stevens have added some serious tackling muscle.

Long - nice half's work

Liked Long. Is a hard bastard.

Ben Long is hard as a cat's head. Loved the way he went about it today in the half of footy he played.
Watched him specifically. The way he moves around the contest, to get into dangerous areas and the desire to get involved as evident by his tackling was excellent. He was so composed in his shot for goal.
It is only a half of footy but if that continues we have ourselves another little gem.

Was interested in Long. That guy has some innate football skills and nous. He is a guy who would win you a game. He just goes to the right spots instinctively. And is a fierce tackler. Am really looking forward to his career.

Ben Long look the goods , a lot stronger than I thought , goes hard at it, but might struggle to get a game until we get some injuries
:mad:

Need to see more of Long

-Love the look of Long.

Long: Hard tough and has got some skills. Looks a cross between Lonie and Wright and by seasons end will make the spot his own with a bit more exposure and confidence.

Armitage on tv in last quarter -

"Ben Long, he's going to be a star"

Total Centre Bounces: 25
Centre Bounce Attendance by Players:
Billy Longer (22) – attended 88% of centre bounces
Jack Steven (16) – attended 64% of centre bounces
Jack Steele (11) – attended 44% of centre bounces
Luke Dunstan (9) – attended 36% of centre bounces
Koby Stevens (7) – attended 28% of centre bounces
David Armitage (7) – attended 28% of centre bounces
Jade Gresham (7) – attended 28% of centre bounces
Blake Acres (7) – attended 28% of centre bounces
Seb Ross (7) – attended 28% of centre bounces
Ben Long (3) – attended 12% of centre bounces
Josh Bruce (3) – attended 12% of centre bounces
Jack Sinclair (1) – attended 4% of centre bounces
Correlation with Time on Ground:
Jack Steven – attended a CB for every 3.8% TOG
Billy Longer – attended a CB for every 3.9% TOG
David Armitage – attended a CB for every 4.7% TOG
Jack Steele – attended a CB for every 6.2% TOG
Seb Ross – attended a CB for every 6.7% TOG
Luke Dunstan – attended a CB for every 7.5% TOG
Jade Gresham – attended a CB for every 9.2% TOG
Blake Acres – attended a CB for every 10% TOG
Koby Stevens – attended a CB for every 10.1% TOG
Ben Long – attended a CB for every 14% TOG
Josh Bruce – attended a CB for every 30% TOG
Jack Sinclair – attended a CB for every 69% TOG
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Ben long has something a bit different about him, reminds me of how jack Martin plays. Good to see him get a few opportunities in the centre square.

I love the look of Long. Can see exactly why he was drafted, he's very similar in his style to Wright who has also come along in leaps and bounds.

I think Long will be in the team fairly early this year. Look very good. Could be the biggest steal of the draft. Covers ground very quickly and cracks in.

Can see him winning a few more 'holding the ball' calls in his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tackling machine Long leaves his mark

It may have only been just a half, but it was more than enough to excite St Kilda supporters. Ben Long, the Saints first pick last November, entered the fray in the second half of Saturday’s game and made an instant impact in the forward half. The 19-year-old laid seven tackles in just 42 per cent game-time, including a bone-jarring hit on Simon White which pinned the big-bodied Blues defender holding the ball and forced him from the ground, before Long calmly slotted his first goal in red, white and black. While it was only a small glimpse into the future, the lightly framed Northern Territorian builds his game around pressure and appears to have the tools to terrorise opposition defenders for many years to come. “It’s all about pressure for me. I’ve been training as a forward all pre-season. I’ve found my spot down there and I’m very comfortable in the forward line so I just really focused on my pressure today,” Long told saints.com.au after the 92-point win at Ikon Park.

Unlike the vast majority of Victorian based (Long boarded at Melbourne Grammar) draftees, Long was exposed to senior football in his draft year.
After playing for his state and then the Allies in the under-18 national championships, Long played the last seven games for Footscray in their run to the premiership. But despite the experience, Long said the step up in intensity and skill level was large on Saturday. “I was obviously pretty nervous but it was exciting at the same time. I knew it was going to be a high-intensity game but I ran out there with the boys and they gave me a lot of support during the week and on game day,” Long said. “AFL is obviously a lot cleaner and a lot faster. I played a few games in the VFL and got a taste of what the intensity is like but stepping up to another level in the AFL is something special for me; I learnt a lot out there today.” Long admitted playing alongside Josh Bruce and Paddy McCartin – two of the best players on the ground – was a surreal experience after watching them from afar in recent years. “Watching them on TV a few years ago before I got drafted and obviously having the wish to play AFL so to play alongside them is something pretty special to me and I won’t forget it,” he said. With pre-season No. 1 now in the bank, Long is looking forward to benefiting from the hard work he put in over the summer in first year at
Linen House Centre. “For me, my first pre-season has been the toughest pre-season I’ve ever had. It’s worked out for me building my fitness and working on a lot of things to get me where I want to be," he said.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-03-05/tackling-machine-long-leaves-his-mark

Tackling machine Long leaves his mark

It may have only been just a half, but it was more than enough to excite St Kilda supporters. Ben Long, the Saints first pick last November, entered the fray in the second half of Saturday’s game and made an instant impact in the forward half. The 19-year-old laid seven tackles in just 42 per cent game-time, including a bone-jarring hit on Simon White which pinned the big-bodied Blues defender holding the ball and forced him from the ground, before Long calmly slotted his first goal in red, white and black. While it was only a small glimpse into the future, the lightly framed Northern Territorian builds his game around pressure and appears to have the tools to terrorise opposition defenders for many years to come. “It’s all about pressure for me. I’ve been training as a forward all pre-season. I’ve found my spot down there and I’m very comfortable in the forward line so I just really focused on my pressure today,” Long told saints.com.au after the 92-point win at Ikon Park.

Unlike the vast majority of Victorian based (Long boarded at Melbourne Grammar) draftees, Long was exposed to senior football in his draft year.
After playing for his state and then the Allies in the under-18 national championships, Long played the last seven games for Footscray in their run to the premiership. But despite the experience, Long said the step up in intensity and skill level was large on Saturday. “I was obviously pretty nervous but it was exciting at the same time. I knew it was going to be a high-intensity game but I ran out there with the boys and they gave me a lot of support during the week and on game day,” Long said. “AFL is obviously a lot cleaner and a lot faster. I played a few games in the VFL and got a taste of what the intensity is like but stepping up to another level in the AFL is something special for me; I learnt a lot out there today.” Long admitted playing alongside Josh Bruce and Paddy McCartin – two of the best players on the ground – was a surreal experience after watching them from afar in recent years. “Watching them on TV a few years ago before I got drafted and obviously having the wish to play AFL so to play alongside them is something pretty special to me and I won’t forget it,” he said. With pre-season No. 1 now in the bank, Long is looking forward to benefiting from the hard work he put in over the summer in first year at
Linen House Centre. “For me, my first pre-season has been the toughest pre-season I’ve ever had. It’s worked out for me building my fitness and working on a lot of things to get me where I want to be," he said.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-03-05/tackling-machine-long-leaves-his-mark

Ah so that confirms it.
He'll be playing in the backline.
Stupid me for thinking otherwise. :rolleyes:

AFL: New faces
Ben Long: St Kilda's first draftee last year used the ball well in limited minutes versus Carlton. Probably won't play in the senior team early in the season but could make his debut in 2017. Dinny Navaratnam
http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2017-03-15/afl-new-faces

Could make his debut.... COULD make his debut!
Oh really Dinny, why's that?.........

Longie obviously on the Footy Show just now obviously. Obviously came down from Darwin obviously and went obviously to Melb Grammer obviously. Obviously got rubbed out for rounds 1 and 2 but obviously keen to play beyond that. Obviously!!!!!!!

Season preview: St Kilda

Ben Long is ahead of the other draftees but the added depth at the Saints means he will have to string several impressive performances together for Sandringham before he has a chance in the senior team.

Rubbish! R3 here he comes!

Last edited:
Longie obviously on the Footy Show just now obviously. Obviously came down from Darwin obviously and went obviously to Melb Grammer obviously. Obviously got rubbed out for rounds 1 and 2 but obviously keen to play beyond that. Obviously!!!!!!!

Imagine Longy, Dunstan and Webster being in a press conference at the same time.

Looks like Dinny has an extra unwanted word in the first sentence. "don't" :rolleyes:

Your club's top Rising Star contenders

STKIL-2.jpg

Best chance: Ben Long
The Saints don't have a standout candidate for the NAB AFL Rising Star, but last year's No.25 selection is perhaps the most likely. His suspension from Footscray's VFL premiership last year expires at the end of this round and he could receive a senior berth if a small forward in the senior team is injured or falls out of favour with the coaches. Long would offer defensive pressure and a nose for goal, and he does not lack speed either. St Kilda's other two picks from last year – Josh Battle and Ed Phillips – will find it tough to debut.

Other contenders: Brandon White (one game)

Past winners: Justin Koschitzke (2001), Nick Riewoldt (2002) - Dinny Navaratnam

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-29/your-clubs-top-rising-star-contenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back