Prediction Ben McEvoy - Defender

Remove this Banner Ad

Nor am I, I'm just hoping it isn't BB on the trade block instead of Cegs.
JK was implying there would be significant changes and BB has more trade currency for sure.
Can't see this eventuating but has now entered my thoughts and it may have merit with Cegs doing very well the past few games as a No. 1 ruck

Reckon he only played as defender as a) resting duck up forward hasn’t worked all season and b) was a better option that swapping cegs or BB for the next best player outside the 22 (eg cousins or brand).

Reckon he only played as defender as a) resting duck up forward hasn’t worked all season and b) was a better option that swapping cegs or BB for the next best player outside the 22 (eg cousins or brand).
You might be right. Why swap an obviously better player in Bigboy for another player who potentially will only offer the same outcome

It does cause an interesting headache - Ceglar has always been impressive as the #1 ruck but has been unable to partner well with McEvoy. I actually think if we retain both in the offseason that McEvoy as a defender may be a permanent move.

Ceglar doesn't have McEvoy's flexibility but is arguably better as a pure ruck. Conversely McEvoy is exceptionally strong 1v1, a fantastic reader of the play and a great contested mark. For a large player he also has great endurance and relatively good footskills. These are all exceptional attributes for a defender. His speed is a glaring weakness, but with a strengthened midfield and defensive structures slowing opposition ball movement we can minimise this. Yesterday he was outbodying Darling/Kennedy who are no 1v1 slouches.

A preseason integrating himself with the defensive unit and Macca may solve our need for another KPD.

It does cause an interesting headache - Ceglar has always been impressive as the #1 ruck but has been unable to partner well with McEvoy. I actually think if we retain both in the offseason that McEvoy as a defender may be a permanent move.

Ceglar doesn't have McEvoy's flexibility but is arguably better as a pure ruck. Conversely McEvoy is exceptionally strong 1v1, a fantastic reader of the play and a great contested mark. For a large player he also has great endurance and relatively good footskills. These are all exceptional attributes for a defender. His speed is a glaring weakness, but with a strengthened midfield and defensive structures slowing opposition ball movement we can minimise this. Yesterday he was outbodying Darling/Kennedy who are no 1v1 slouches.

A preseason integrating himself with the defensive unit and Macca may solve our need for another KPD.

A week ago I would have called this crazy talk. Now I'm not sure sure. I'm intrigued by this coming summer.

Bigboy in defence looks a lot better than when we tested Robbie Campbell at Fullback in 2009.

Pretty sure it's a minimum 20 years before you're allowed to make fun of disasters.

I said before the WCE game, it's one thing doing it against GC17 it's completely another against a team with Kennedy/Darling... they'll pants him, I was wrong somehow he was good again and we showcased Ceg's for two games in the ruck who is a bloody frustrating player so much ability when on, so little killer instinct to be on, more than a few times each season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big boy no good as a defender, cmon guys.. he is a pure ruckman with a monster engine who grinds down the oppo ruck, he doesn’t have the agility, speed or knowledge to play key back on key forwards.

The clubs in a conundrum here, Cegs has another 4 years as a number 1 ruck, BB maybe 1-2... wouldn’t be against him searching for a retirement fund somewhere, he’d be perfect for GWS.

I originally thought BB in defence was a bit of a novelty, needed somewhere to put him with Rough in, but now I think it's genuine. After watching that West Coast game and seeing the forward line go so well I've started to change my mind. And there is still Lewis and 'Patton' to go in there. Suddenly it looks like we've got plenty of fire power forward. Plenty of firepower in the midfield with Mitchell and 'Coniglio' to join. And the backline just needs some beef to wrestle with the big teams again. If Cox is selected again next year, which side will have the tall timber to play him without changing a beat? The Hawks.

Suddenly, the last two weeks (or maybe even four) show a team that has speed, defensive discipline and height at both ends. How did this happen? I've got no idea because it looked pretty desperate at the beginning of the year. But here we are. Pretty damned impressive that Hawthorn coaching staff.

I thought it was an interesting move in the Gold Coast game and then to see it again on the weekend I thought I'd look more into it. It's an interesting idea. BB is quicker than you think, is strong in the air, strong as an ox so he's going to be a dominant player when the high ball comes in. He'll possibly get caught out on the lead a bit, but most defenders do if the ball is delivered right. Maybe this is our way to hold down the fort until Kossie comes of age.
Also shows how little faith we have in Brand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back