Oppo Camp Ben McEvoy

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm having an interesting argument with a fellow St Kilda supporter about the McEvoy trade of 2013. Hawthorn got McEvoy and St Kilda got Savage and pick 18 (Luke Dunstan).
I argue that it was a poor trade by St Kilda mainly because I have a fair bit of time for McEvoy.
What do Hawthorn supporters think? Rather McEvoy or have kept Savage and pick 18.

I'm having an interesting argument with a fellow St Kilda supporter about the McEvoy trade of 2013. Hawthorn got McEvoy and St Kilda got Savage and pick 18 (Luke Dunstan).
I argue that it was a poor trade by St Kilda mainly because I have a fair bit of time for McEvoy.
What do Hawthorn supporters think? Rather McEvoy or have kept Savage and pick 18.
Each club had differing needs.

We needed a ruckman, you were rebuilding & wanted youth & 1st Round Draft Picks.

The Trade worked as trading should - both teams 'won'.

McEvoy is a star.

And a great leader by example and attitude.

And hard as a cats head.

No contest.

If I were a Saints fan watching big boy last week clunking massive pack marks and slotting goals with precision, I'd have been pretty pissed with my club.

His work first game back from a serious facial fracture was extraordinary.

So reliable.

McEvoy is a star.

And a great leader by example and attitude.

And hard as a cats head.

No contest.

If I were a Saints fan watching big boy last week clunking massive pack marks and slotting goals with precision, I'd have been pretty pissed with my club.

His work first game back from a serious facial fracture was extraordinary.

So reliable.
I can understand why they thought Hickey and Longer were the answer, hell we were after Longer at the same time until we saw the price

He's been an absolute beast for us since his 150th against Geelong last year, the emotion he showed that game and how he has played since.....

I can remember late 2016 that a lot of us thought that Big Boy was done, and that he might retire. A lot of thought that he was fairly average.

Certainly not an elite tap ruckman, but has proved to be competitive in the ruck and his work rate and commitment around the ground has been outstanding. A durable ruckman who can follow intuctions and has a huge heart and tank make him great for us.

I'm not sure if Savage has gone backwards but the contested side of his game is weak. Still an excellent kick, so hard to say where he would be if still with us. Depends what GW would have done with 18. Maybe we would have taken Crouch.

At the present point in time a clear win, but at various other points in time, and with Ceglar still healthy, we would be behind on the trade.

who remembers that kick for goal by renouf in adelaide maybe 2009 or 10? * a duck. i don't know much about ruckmen but mcevoy must be one of the best kicks going around. imo he has also been our best contested marker the entire time he's been here, especially from kick-ins.

McEvoy is a high quality ruckman along with Ceglar we are blessed with 2 high quality ruckmen that can float forward and clunk marks, McEvoys mature attitude and willingness to work hard are also qualities that will help our younger talent to improve (leadership) so that quality also increases his value imo.

Savage is an ok outside mid and Dunstan is an ok mid also, but neither are guarantees in a top 4 teams first 22, like someone said, you(St Kilda) needed to score big with pick 18 along with a solid outside mid in Savage to win the trade and i dont think you have...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a win for us because Dunstan has not come on as well as other picks after him e.g. Matt Crocuh, Zac Merrett or James Sicily.

Had you selected a better player, it would have been even.
Yeah that is the thing, you trade for opportunity (draft pick) not a player. Saints fans weren't upset at the time but should they have been? I was suspicious of the trade because I couldn't understand why they were moving him on for Longer. But hey, their loss. I doubt they would do the pair of trades in hindsight given the loss of leadership and the failure of longer to come on as expected. That is not even considering dunstan.

Hawks won the 2014 and 15 premierships with McEvoy after Bailey retired after 2013. Easily could have been a different story with out an experienced ruckman.

Hawks won this trade big time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back