Recommitted Ben McKay [re-signed until 2023]

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
2nd rounder
Was more thinking one of our 3rds seen as he hasn't been able to cement a spot in your side. We do need a KPD and has been some talk that he might want out.
If we miss on Keath , thought Ben may come under consideration so wanted to gauge what North thinks his value is

Last edited:

spurs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
THFC, Claremont Tigers
Was more thinking one of our 3rds seen as he hasn't been able to cement a spot in your side. We do need a KPD and has been some talk that he might want out.
If we miss on Keath , thought Ben may come under consideration so wanted go gauge what North thinks his value is

He was out first round pick a few years ago, and is a good mark and could good become a very good KPP in time. I wouldn't want anything less than a mid 20s pick, otherwise we keep him.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
He was out first round pick a few years ago, and is a good mark and could good become a very good KPP in time. I wouldn't want anything less than a mid 20s pick, otherwise we keep him.
Happy to give up a less than mid second for him if GCS somehow found one.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We have 3 3rds so might trade up to get a pick. A lot will depend on what happens with Keath for the Dogs

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
named in the bests 4 times in 2019 (VFL) is a million miles off the pace, doesn't mean he cannot get there, but is unlikely. Spent four full seasons on the list and is contracted until 21.

Reckon he might want out , just quietly.

First round shmirst round, he was taken with pick 21. You’re essentially saying that he should have the same value as when he was drafted despite only playing 4 games in 3 years. There’s no way to justify that.

North supporters hold their collective breath when he had the ball in hand in the backline for a little while earlier
Isn't the nicest kick of the footy, which is in complete contrast to Durdin.

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
43 + McKay for a pick around 27 would probably get it done.

Is very good one on one. I would prefer to keep him.

4 years is a bit misleading, he was very very young when drafted.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
4 years is a bit misleading, he was very very young when drafted.

Yep, both McKay's were a matter of days being ineligible for that draft.

He's also a bit unfairly compared to Harry... Harry was clearly more talented and has had much more opportunity at the highest level, I think some of the concerns about Ben's development is a little skewed as a result. I hope we give him another year.

Yep, both McKay's were a matter of days being ineligible for that draft.

He's also a bit unfairly compared to Harry... Harry was clearly more talented and has had much more opportunity at the highest level, I think some of the concerns about Ben's development is a little skewed as a result. I hope we give him another year.
Plus I was told he had pneumonia during the early stages of the year, which stuffed his fitness, ala a less severe case than Jed Anderson's. He was also playing in a fairly s**t VFL team, with no experienced AFL standard mids to help out a really average VFL midfield.

Sound like excuses, but there were legitimate reasons as to why he stalled a bit this year. Still got in the VFL bests a few times regardless. He'll be fine. Depends if North pick up any mature KPD's this year.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I would like the Dogs to have a crack if we don't get Keath over the line. Think Ben could fill a big need for us and not be too costly at the trade table

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
4 games in 4 years.

“2nd rounder or we keep him”
- guess you ll keep him then

“Was really young when he was drafted”
- absolute lol,Hes a fully grown man ffs , 4 years in, not a premature baby

“Unfairly compared to Harry “- well umm he is Harry’s twin who else did you think they d compare him too?

He’s norths new Aaron black ,talked up by all and sundry at north thus resulting in a high price placed on him at the trade table but will ultimately be delisted, if they continue to hang onto him.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pick in the 40-50s if he wanted out. We'd stand our ground somewhat due to being contracted, opportunity to move up the order I'd think, but ultimately not the hill we'd choose to die on.

He could be a player but unfortunately just hasn't done enough to command valuable compensation should he request a trade

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
4 games in 4 years.

“2nd rounder or we keep him”
- guess you ll keep him then

“Was really young when he was drafted”
- absolute lol,Hes a fully grown man ffs , 4 years in, not a premature baby

“Unfairly compared to Harry “- well umm he is Harry’s twin who else did you think they d compare him too?

He’s norths new Aaron black ,talked up by all and sundry at north thus resulting in a high price placed on him at the trade table but will ultimately be delisted, if they continue to hang onto him.

He's not being talked up by anybody, the preference of most of the North supporters is to give him some more time because while he could track like Aaron Black he could also track like Robbie Tarrant or Drew Petrie, two other big men we have experience with that "took time" according to the old adage. He's contracted until the end of 2021, there's no real reason to move him on, especially as we just lost Thompson and Tarrant will start next season at 31.

Pick in the 40-50s if he wanted out. We'd stand our ground somewhat due to being contracted, opportunity to move up the order I'd think, but ultimately not the hill we'd choose to die on.

He could be a player but unfortunately just hasn't done enough to command valuable compensation should he request a trade
Good to see a North supporter who can objectively look at the situation and relative trade value.

Instincts

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bump.

OOC This year and one of our most important signings because he is our only young key defender.

Had a really good game yesterday and I would only make him accountable for 2 of Walker's goals alongside taking 11 intercepts.

Can imagine at least the Dogs having a sniff at him, what worth does he have now that he is playing and up to AFL standard?

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bump.

OOC This year and one of our most important signings because he is our only young key defender.

Had a really good game yesterday and I would only make him accountable for 2 of Walker's goals alongside taking 11 intercepts.

Can imagine at least the Dogs having a sniff at him, what worth does he have now that he is playing and up to AFL standard?
Previously was worth a packet of chips when this thread first started. Now I'd think he's worth a mid 2nd or so, depending on how his form goes the rest of the year. His value to North is surely higher than his actual trade value

Back