Hawthorn
Racism
Harry McKay
News relating to any of the above

What you may not do in this thread:

Troll
Abuse other posters
Anything else that breaks the following set(s) of rules:

We're entering a very busy period on this board with the draft and player movement periods fast approaching.

Us board mods have a lot on our plates and whilst we do not want to, we are not going to hesitate to infract or hand out board bans for repeat offenders. Please do not force our hands here.

Thank you.

Dogs are surprisingly good for cap space. Hunter had a decent contract, we had a fair but put aside for Dunkley, and JJ has come to the end of his big expensive contract and re-signed for much less. The issue is that we seem to not want to spend up big on one player.
We've approached McKay he last two times he was OOC.
I suspect he stays, with Carlton (brother connection) the only realistic option if he does get a massive offer and can be pried out.

I suspect he stays, with Carlton (brother connection) the only realistic option if he does get a massive offer and can be pried out.

Won't be Carlton, we can match any offer.

I think only reason he goes is if we're absolutely s**t onfield again with no sense of improvement imminent.

Won't be Carlton, we can match any offer.

I think only reason he goes is if we're absolutely s**t onfield again with no sense of improvement imminent.

Would you be interested in Tom De Koning if Ben wanted to join Carlton ?

They don't want to play together.
Harry has actually mentioned in interviews that their view on that has softened over the last couple of years.

To start their careers sure they wanted to carve their own paths, but they spend every off season training together now and mention it would be cool to one day play together.

End of the day, Carlton would be a great opportunity for Ben and Harry to have some success through their primes, unfortunately North is years off being in that position as it stands.

Yes unfortunately we know about TDK,
Biggest factor imo would be whether Carlton could structure a deal to get North band 1 compo. If it's only band 2 they will be matching no doubt about it.

Yeah i agree north arent letting him go unless its band 1 compo. As for tdk i think he will probably stay at carlton but we need a ruck and obviously with sdk here and the lure of finals we will be pushing his manager no doubt.

North would prefer McKay over pick 2.

We can't sit at the bottom of the ladder forever. McKay is elite and established.

He is but the flipside is its much easier to get an elite kpd with later picks than a kpf. So just be thankful that hes the former and not the latter if he goes and you get a top 5 pick (to use on said kpf).

Geelong are chasing TDK.

As for mckay i dont see him leaving north unless another club offers 800k. In which case they will get band 1. If that works out to be a top 5 pick theres no benefit to them in matching.

North will match 800k, no doubt about it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If North could get band 1 compo for McKay they would push him out the door.

He would leave a bigger hole than any other player on our list. I think we would be pretty determined to keep a relatively young gun key defender, compared to an 18 year old unknown.

No one is going to be able to offer more than North. Plus all we need to do is match an offer, not pay more. Carlton could not legitimately offer more than North.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is but the flipside is its much easier to get an elite kpd with later picks than a kpf. So just be thankful that hes the former and not the latter if he goes and you get a top 5 pick (to use on said kpf).
We will probably have a top 5 pick and maybe a top 10. We don't need another top 5 pick more than we need Ben McKay.

I am not so sure about that (finding elite kpd kids with later round picks)

Admittedly Adelaide got burnt with Fisher McAsey, but they are not really easy to find as you'd think

We will probably have a top 5 pick and maybe a top 10. We don't need another top 5 pick more than we need Ben McKay.
If he decides to leave and you could get pick two for him (if you finish last) then surely you'd just have to take it.

I totally get what you're saying that you'd rather him than pick two but if he decides to leave then he's going.

If he decides to leave and you could get pick two for him (if you finish last) then surely you'd just have to take it.

I totally get what you're saying that you'd rather him than pick two but if he decides to leave then he's going.

He isn’t necessarily ‘going’ if he decides to. That’s the whole point of being restricted. The club will decide is fate.

A lot would depend on where we finish and how we rate the draft, as to whether we match or not.

He isn’t necessarily ‘going’ if he decides to. That’s the whole point of being restricted. The club will decide is fate.

A lot would depend on where we finish and how we rate the draft, as to whether we match or not.

North aren’t turning down what will most likely be a top 4 pick for a player who doesn’t want to be there.

I am not so sure about that (finding elite kpd kids with later round picks)

Admittedly Adelaide got burnt with Fisher McAsey, but they are not really easy to find as you'd think

Yeah I tend to agree with you.

North invested a lot in McKay using a first round pick, so that is one example.

Then there are players like :

Doedee
Weitering
Moore
Ridley
Chapman
Taylor
Haynes
Himmelberg
De Koning
Lukosius
May (would have been a high pick)
Lever
Logue
Tarrant
Balta
McCartin
Naughton (was drafted as a back and is proven)

Jury out :

Reid
Aleer
Grainger - Barass
Gibcus
Darcy

(Probably missed a few on both lists)

A lot of elite, going to be elite or looking likely to be elite listed above and were all relatively high picks. It’s worth noting that a lot elite defenders were picked late, but I wouldn’t be ignoring the above because there is a possibility of getting an elite defender late.

Last edited:
North aren’t turning down what will most likely be a top 4 pick for a player who doesn’t want to be there.

It would completely depend on how we rate the draft and where we finish. Countless players have been held to a contract after requesting a trade. How is this any different? McKay is restricted and the club holds all the power, just like if he was contracted.

Last edited:
It would completely depend on how we rate the draft and where we finish. Countless players have been held to a contract after requesting a trade. How is this any different? McKay is restricted and the club holds all the power, just like if he was contracted.

McKay is OOC and holds all the power. He will play wherever he wants in 2024.

If North choose to match an offer and trade him for less than what band 1 will net them then they’re mad.

That depends on whether you think he will stay or not if you match..he might not.

McKay is OOC and holds all the power. He will play wherever he wants in 2024.

If North choose to match an offer and trade him for less than what band 1 will net them then they’re mad.

I’m not sure if you comprehend the meaning of ‘restricted.’ He clearly doesn’t hold all the power, that is just ridiculous.

North will finish close to the bottom. He isn’t going to threaten the PSD and end up back at North or another bottom side.

I’m not sure if you comprehend the meaning of ‘restricted.’ He clearly doesn’t hold all the power, that is just ridiculous.

North will finish close to the bottom. He isn’t going to threaten the PSD and end up back at North or another bottom side.

You can’t just match an offer and call it a day.

If McKay wants out he’s out and it will be in North’s best interest to take band 1 compo considering where they’ll likely finish next season. He has all the power in where he will play in 2024.

Would be hilarious to see them match and accept less in a trade but the people running the club will be smarter than emotional supporters.

Back