Player Watch #46: Ben Miller

Remove this Banner Ad

Had appendicitis, came back for one game I think and then we've heard nothing. Hope the kid is OK!
Thanks for that PA and yeah I hope the kids ok as appendicitis is not a laughing matter.
I have high hopes on the young lad as he can take a grab and throw his weight around.

His third year at the club but there is not much talk about Ben Miller. I have only seen him play a few times in the VFL in 2018 and 2019. He is a great size and seems quite mobile but his overall progression seems to be coming on very slowly. Does the club still see him as a work-in-process ... and someone who might be able to play a key position role in the seasons ahead?

In the games we played against other vfl sides early this year he played well and got praise from Xavier Člarke.

Člarke ... Is that pronounced “ch lar ke”?

Last edited:
In the 2nds they have given him a leadership role in the backline - organising it etc. So they must think he's got some smarts and leadership. His tools are extraordinary. But it seems he's just a good VFL player atm. Hope he can step it up. It'd be huge to get another genuine athletic tall coming through.

Pretty sure he isn’t even in the hub at the moment? If so shows he’s a fair way off it considering our injuries. Gotta feel for the developing guys like him English, Turner. If list sizes get cut these guys might get the chop without getting a decent crack at it.

Pretty sure he isn’t even in the hub at the moment? If so shows he’s a fair way off it considering our injuries. Gotta feel for the developing guys like him English, Turner. If list sizes get cut these guys might get the chop without getting a decent crack at it.
I’ve only ever seen people give Turner massive wraps

Similar to shai Bolton where he only actually scraped into his draft year by a few days so he’s younger than the other guys who he was drafted with but by all reports he hasn’t set a foot wrong and is a genuine prospect for a wing position in the future

Saw him half a dozen times in the VFL last year and honestly saw nothing to suggest he’s got the tools to play Astbury’s role.

However he was a bit of a speculative pick and athletic talls can take 4 or 5 years to develop.

It’s s tough call with no VFL form to judge him on this year. Probably come down to list sizes next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve only ever seen people give Turner massive wraps

Similar to shai Bolton where he only actually scraped into his draft year by a few days so he’s younger than the other guys who he was drafted with but by all reports he hasn’t set a foot wrong and is a genuine prospect for a wing position in the future

Yeah I agree he is more likely to be kept but it could come down to list sizes as we have so many already signed up and will want to bring a few in via trades/draft.

Turner is likely safe but I think it’s stiff that he and others aren’t in the hub as it would suck training down here when there’s 8 or so of you and most of them aren’t even from Melbourne so would be struggling with connection outside the club. Not blaming the club but it’s gotta be a hard situation for the young guys as they probably don’t feel that connected to the playing list and they have to be in isolation away from their family and friends that are in states that aren’t in isolation. I think this plus the anxiety of if they get cut because of list sizes would be very challenging for 18/19 year olds.

Yeah I agree he is more likely to be kept but it could come down to list sizes as we have so many already signed up and will want to bring a few in via trades/draft.

Turner is likely safe but I think it’s stiff that he and others aren’t in the hub as it would suck training down here when there’s 8 or so of you and most of them aren’t even from Melbourne so would be struggling with connection outside the club. Not blaming the club but it’s gotta be a hard situation for the young guys as they probably don’t feel that connected to the playing list and they have to be in isolation away from their family and friends that are in states that aren’t in isolation. I think this plus the anxiety of if they get cut because of list sizes would be very challenging for 18/19 year olds.
Yeah that’s also a good point
I didn’t realise turner didn’t make the trip with the boys as well

A lot of the talk about smaller list sizes seems to have died down so hopefully it was just some media hyperbole

A lot of the talk about smaller list sizes seems to have died down so hopefully it was just some media hyperbole
Looks like cutting of lists will be a gradual thing.
Down to 40 next year.
With growing expectations that each list will carry a minimum of 40 players in 2021, clubs are grappling with how to resource their football department to service their needs with a soft cap reduced to $6.2 million per club.

The club kept a few young blokes back so Titch and Bachar had someone too train with .

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

the league is saying list sizes ranging from 30-45. Financially Struggling clubs obviously will reduce their lists a lot more than the big clubs. There’s going to be some big anomalies next year and beyond in clubs lists.

Can’t see teams like Norf getting off the canvas for a long long time

the league is saying list sizes ranging from 30-45. Financially Struggling clubs obviously will reduce their lists a lot more than the big clubs. There’s going to be some big anomalies next year and beyond in clubs lists.

Even just looking at our list some of our best and most consistent players are speculative late picks, Lambert, Short, Baker, Pickett, Chol and Soldo probably don’t get drafted at all because clubs won’t want to take risks with picks anymore and just play it safe

I wonder why Miller hasn't been used at CHF in the VFA. Moves really well when he has been there. He is quick, agile and too some good marks. We have zero key forwards to replace Riewoldt, except ruck fowards which can't really be used in conjunction with Lynch.

Looks like cutting of lists will be a gradual thing.
Down to 40 next year.
With growing expectations that each list will carry a minimum of 40 players in 2021, clubs are grappling with how to resource their football department to service their needs with a soft cap reduced to $6.2 million per club.

Thank God1

If clubs had to go to 35 that would annihilate development for so many clubs. If the AFL go there they'll regret it for years.

If teams with no $ have to go to 30- 35 they are basically screwed for a decade. That'll destroy the competition for all but the well (100K members makes us pretty well off :cool: ). if the AFL cannot see that they even more stupid and shpt sighted than I think already o_O

The way the club seems to be treating Ben is like they think there is genuine talent there, but he requires a heap of development. If the list size reduces he's an obvious one to drop, just as they might be getting pay back on investment. Pity for the him if that's the case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back