Senior Ben Paton

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't been much of an advocate on this board but I'll start today because I'm certain he will debut this week against the Doggies.

Has shown a lot at both ends of the ground for Sandy and his kicking skills are something we sorely lack at senior level. Been solid for a number of weeks now with Sandy and has been named as emergency a number of times. 185 cm, quick and very good on both sides of his body - will be interesting to see how he looks at Senior level.

@ Pick 46 I'm hoping I he will turn out a very good get for us.

"Hamill also praised the first-year development of Ben Paton and his flexibility to play different roles through the midfield and at both ends of the ground."

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2018-07-30/vfl-paton-dynamic-again

Hamill says -
Ben Paton 17 kicks, four handballs, eight marks, six tackles

We played ‘Pato’ on the wing a little bit, as well as on the inside, where he’s improving every week with his body positioning, and then we threw him forward a little bit as well. In his first year of footy, he’s taken the right steps forward, so I think, like Freeman, 'Pato' will certainly be in the conversation come match committee.

Go Saints

Ben Paton continues to show why he’s so highly rated in just his first year at the club, with another 20+ disposal game the latest in a string of solid outings for the Murray Bushrangers product.

The 19-year-old utility has the ability to play as an inside mid as well as up and back, and his good form is once again pressuring the match committee to call him up for his debut.

Go Saints

Paton was drafted at No.46 in 2017 and has been named an emergency on 10 occasions.

The speedy midfielder can play both inside and outside the contest.
He is a big chance to play against The Drug Cheats this week .

Go Saints

Ben Paton has been named as an emergency ten times.

Ten times he’s completed the warm-up, ten times he’s watched on from the sidelines.

But this Friday night, the ex-Murray Bushranger will finally get his shot at senior footy, Alan Richardson this morning confirming Paton will line up against Essendon.

READ: Pick No. 46: Ben Paton

After being overlooked in the 2016 Draft, Paton returned to the Bushrangers in 2017 as a 19-year-old overage player and thrived in a new role in defence.

Paton cemented a spot in the championships and performed so strongly he was rewarded with All-Australian selection in the same defence as new teammates Oscar Clavarino and Nick Coffield.
At the end of the championships, Paton played two games for Collingwood in the VFL, impressing with his seamless transition against senior bodies.

The 19-year-old has excelled for Sandringham this year under the guidance of ex-Saint Aaron Hamill, showcasing both his ability to win his own ball on the inside and his elite foot skills on both sides of his body.

Ben Paton becomes the seventh Saint to make their senior debut in 2018, and the 1597th player to wear the famous red, white and black.

Go Saints

Ben had 11 disposals against the Hawks and kicked a good goal . He is showing a lot of potential and with a good preseason next year should get some midfield time going forward where I think he will show even more .

Go Saints

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easily his best game for us on the weekend. Had an absolutely massive 3rd quarter too - when the game was won. 13 touches shows he can find the ball. And he used it very well.

Even managed a coaches vote.

Think we'll be seeing more of Ben this year.

Ben Paton
27 disposals, 11 kicks, five marks, four tackles
“’Pato’ was probably one of our better players in terms of his contribution. On the wing and inside he moved well, he made good decisions, he was tough inside and some of his patterns were very good for us.”

Ben Paton
22 disposals, six marks, three tackles
“He played a fair bit inside, but I thought some of his stuff was quite solid for us. Ben got in and under a lot of times and put his head down all day. Two good weeks in a row from Pato which is really pleasing.

Ben Paton
Career
Games: 16
Disposals:
Games: 13
Disposals:

668385_ll.jpg

A lot is made about Seb Ross assuming the captaincy in the absence of Jarryn Geary against the Hawks, but the man who actually came in for the skipper is often overlooked.
That man was Ben Paton, and his solid outing against the brown and gold saw him keep his spot in the senior side.
The Tallangatta product built upon his three games from the year before, showing plenty of promise through his ability to find space, be versatile and gather the footy.
Knee soreness but his run short by Round 10, but Paton broke back into the line-up following an impressive patch for Sandringham.
He’s only had the five wins in his short career, but the 20-year-old will be intent on increasing that tally next season.
BEST GAME:
Paton’s game and first-ever career win against the Hawks was superb, but the young Saint went one better against Melbourne with a 23-disposal and six-rebound display.

Just the 21 games as well. Humming along nicely. Didn't realise he was such a good contested mark.
Wilkie must be training both Paton and Coffield in marking , they have both improved out of sight .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back