Opinion Ben Reid and Jamie Elliot on Rookie List?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately back issues have pact to other areas eg hamstrings.
Jamie is high end talent so we persevere as a few games from a firing Elliott is better than a season from say Smith or Oxley.

Reid is getting on that true, but again a talented high end player. Worth persevering as adds something when playing.

These are risks worth taking in my view.

True. But I am putting my Case Forward.

I don't mind them Hating My Idea but don't have to get Personal though

TD the way the rookie list works nowadays is not that different to being on senior list. For guys who have proven talent along with an injury history, a heavily laden performance-based contract would be a better way to go.

With match payments and a base far higher than a rookie contract.

It is a bad idea buddy and completely out of step with what they would command elsewhere.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Elliott and his management will probably be wishing they signed at the start of the year. The gamble of holding off until he played some games to raise his value hasn’t worked out

This is an interesting approach to players injured.

Is this the same approach if a player wants to leave? Or do we become all aggrieved how dare they treat us this way?

Very interesting.
No, we can't be aggrieved. We can't be cynical when we love what Howe & Treloar did, but cry treason when Freeman does the same (and maybe Moore might do).

However, do we want to be the most gracious team? If so, then we need to keep the following on our list until they decide they want to retire:

Wells
Elliott
Reid
Fasolo
Broomhead
Kirby
Blair (because he is a premiership player, and gives his all for the club)

OR.. we can be honest with those players, and tell them we do not believe they are capable/their bodies are not capable of continuing a senior AFL career. And then look to accommodate their next phase in life.

An assistant coaching/football position maybe?
A transfer to another club?
A move to the commentating/press.

Otherwise, we start with a list of 33 players and 7 honorary positions.
Good lock with that.

No, we can't be aggrieved. We can't be cynical when we love what Howe & Treloar did, but cry treason when Freeman does the same (and maybe Moore might do).

However, do we want to be the most gracious team? If so, then we need to keep the following on our list until they decide they want to retire:

Wells
Elliott
Reid
Fasolo
Broomhead
Kirby
Blair (because he is a premiership player, and gives his all for the club)

OR.. we can be honest with those players, and tell them we do not believe they are capable/their bodies are not capable of continuing a senior AFL career. And then look to accommodate their next phase in life.

An assistant coaching/football position maybe?
A transfer to another club?
A move to the commentating/press.

Otherwise, we start with a list of 33 players and 7 honorary positions.
Good lock with that.
Interesting interpretation.

Not sure there is any advocacy that clubs keep players for years on end.

Ofcourse clubs can and should move players on. That’s all part of the hustle and bustle of list management.

However moving better end talent, injury prone granted, to a rookie list, seems to me to be a short sighted way to go. You want them contract them on going.
Don’t want them, move them on.

Regarding Reid and Elliott as they are high end talent I’d be wary of just spiking them myself.

The club has always moved on players even top liners, see Cloke, Didak etc.

At the end the club always controls the whip hand.

However a little dignity goes a long way.

If that's the case, we might be able to get a decent pick for him.

Not worth the risk - write off this year for him. Another pre season and see how he goes next season. However if we go deep into finals a block of 6-8 weeks now and he could be ready to play.

Imagine trading him and watching him kick 40 goals next year :-(

Pies need to sort out there rehab and strength training department. Quality over quantity !

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back