Player Watch Ben Reid (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol McLarty.

With Reid we have a proven AFL capable player. McLarty barely looked adequate in the VFL.

With a lack of opinions we can’t afford to carry an unknown quality like that who had shown not a lot

Probably right but talls take time and two years generally isn’t enough. Either way it doesn’t make any difference to our prospects in 2019.

Probably right but talls take time and two years generally isn’t enough. Either way it doesn’t make any difference to our prospects in 2019.
While I agree with the general proposition in our particular circumstance we need someone capable of performing at a reasonable standard as insurance for thin stocks. I have Reid ahead of Madgen in the pecking order for that - McLarty was clearly further adrift so I’d happily sacrifice his potential slim future upside for Reid in 2019

Yep I agree his contract is a bit baffling. Would have preferred another season be given to Mclarty but thems the breaks.

I doubt Reid is chewing much salary cap. The club took the decision to give a premiership player one last year to get his body right and I respect that.
The difference faculty with Reid was our lack at the time of key position types.
And Ben, when fit and able, sufficiently capable in that area.
I’d guess he wasn’t super expensive for us either, hence we punted our nnhim.

To me, the small alarm bell was about two years ago on a Friday night when he was dropped a bit suddenly as I recall.

If he’s fit he’s still an ok player. Though it’s catching up with him.

As much as Mclarty was lovable and a big thing, he just doesn’t project as a senior player on going. And ts a shame but it is what it is.

While I agree with the general proposition in our particular circumstance we need someone capable of performing at a reasonable standard as insurance for thin stocks. I have Reid ahead of Madgen in the pecking order for that - McLarty was clearly further adrift so I’d happily sacrifice his potential slim future upside for Reid in 2019
Your ordering seems bang on.

Reid you’d want before Madgen and McLarty was further back.

I think I'm alone in this, but I think our best team would have Moore and Howe as our two tall kpds. Last year, I felt Howe showed himself more than capable of playing on a tall. To me Moore, Howe, Langdon, Crisp, and Maynard - with two of Aish, Appleby, Quaynor, Greenwood or surplus/resting mid is a very very good defence.

I don't blame Ben trying, but i just can't understand the decision making behind his last contract, just mindboggling, the worst part for me is he didn't have the one issue, he had quad/groin/calf/hamstring issues, pretty much every soft tissue injury a player could have he had and we decided to roll the dice on iirc 2 contract extensions, and he never played more than 2-3 games in a row during the 2012-18 period.
Reid hasn't been able to string 2 games together for near on 6 years dude.
Come on, Frank!! While I agree that his durability has been a real problem for years, your claims are still a fair bit off! Last year he managed 4 games in a row (at senior level), 5 and 7 in a row in 2017, 6 and 11 in a row in 2016. 2014 is when the injury woes really started - in 2013 he played almost every game (22/23).

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/B/Ben_Reid.html

Come on, Frank!! While I agree that his durability has been a real problem for years, your claims are still a fair bit off! Last year he managed 4 games in a row (at senior level), 5 and 7 in a row in 2017, 6 and 11 in a row in 2016. 2014 is when the injury woes really started - in 2013 he played almost every game (22/23).

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/B/Ben_Reid.html
There are 3 certainties in life, death-taxes and Ben Reid will break down again, soon.

Reid hasn't been able to string 2 games together for near on 6 years dude.
Not sure that’s actually correct.

He has played game on game constantly actually.

Just when he’s injured it’s seems to be of an ongoing nature and he misses bulk games.

Been quite durable on whole, except last year, but played four games in a row, nonetheless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Reid should be played alongside a genuine tall like Cox or Cameron as well as Checkers to maximise what he can do. He doesn't really impact contests too much in terms of crashing marking packs as he doesn't get up very high, but he's very crafty. Able to draw free kicks and also knows how to not give them away (like that 1v1 he had where he sneakily tackled the Sydney defender without him having the ball). I also like him a bit further upfield as his field-kicking is and always has been elite. Give someone other than Mihocek to dump it into. Just need some actual players with ferocity at ground level. Ruscoe looks to be one

Was sentimental stuff to see the old boy out there tonight. He put himself about but, there didn't seem to be a plan going into the forward 50, we were all over the place. Love the guy however, I am not sure he offers much more these days than relief and a rotation option in these troubled times of multiple games a week.

I think Reid should be played alongside a genuine tall like Cox or Cameron as well as Checkers to maximise what he can do. He doesn't really impact contests too much in terms of crashing marking packs as he doesn't get up very high, but he's very crafty. Able to draw free kicks and also knows how to not give them away (like that 1v1 he had where he sneakily tackled the Sydney defender without him having the ball). I also like him a bit further upfield as his field-kicking is and always has been elite. Give someone other than Mihocek to dump it into. Just need some actual players with ferocity at ground level. Ruscoe looks to be one
Good point, like most I've lost almost all faith in Cox, but I would like Pies to play a fit Reid 🤞, and bring in Cox for possibly his final go at making a fist of this season.

Good point, like most I've lost almost all faith in Cox, but I would like Pies to play a fit Reid 🤞, and bring in Cox for possibly his final go at making a fist of this season.

Yeah, I feel like he deserves another crack at it. Maybe a go against one of the lowly teams we’re coming up against could get him going? Who knows ...

I thought Ben played the Cox role (dropping marks and allowing players to run off him) very well last night. He took his mark up on the wing (again like Coxy) and got a free in front of goal (now Mason never gets those) from which he converted.

Lets get serious, if Kelly was around, Ben would be in the two's like Dunn and Mayne.

I thought Ben played the Cox role (dropping marks and allowing players to run off him) very well last night. He took his mark up on the wing (again like Coxy) and got a free in front of goal (now Mason never gets those) from which he converted.

Lets get serious, if Kelly was around, Ben would be in the two's like Dunn and Mayne.
Completely agree, he struggled to hold a mark last night and got a dubious free kick. Happy to give him a few weeks to get up to speed. I'm actually surprised he didn't injure himself last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back