Ben Reid signs on for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree to disagree, he was far better than Cox during the season and was underdone for the prelim, and considering the weather Varcoe or Daics was the go, but I can't blame Reid for that
I thought he was OK in the Prelim. Got to good positions, got his hands to a fair few on the flanks, but it wasn't a day for overhead marks. Kicked a good KPF goal and should have gotten a free in exactly the same position and situation when Keeffe held him in a bear hug in a one on one. Missed one he should have kicked, but overall it was all you could expect in the conditions.

An inanimate carbon rod would be of more use than a perpetually injured player.

Who would you have played in the Prelim instead of Reid?

You reckon debuting Max Lynch would have done a better job?

There's a reason for the lack of consistency and development that cause the VFL side to barely be able to field a competent 22 year after year and it's because of decisions like this.

Reid isn't a leader, we could have gone for another young, fit KPF for depth that cost nothing, instead we waste a list spot.

Young KPP players like Kelly? (Perpetually injured) or Murphy? (Perpetually injured)

Surely the club aren't dumb enough to keep Broomhead too.

He’d get replaced with a rookie pick in the 30’s+ (Given Murray has already been delisted)

That’s a Hail Mary.

Depth. We really have nobody the right age group apart from Moore and cant rely on Kelly Wilson and the Irish kids yet. Hopefully they make significant advncements next season along with getting some traded players in. Its disappointing that out key position stocks arent as good as they could be but Reid is valuable depth if fit.

I hop this means we arent leaving a spot open for Dunn though. We only have limited spots we can hand to senior players that might not be best 22.

Kelly Wilson and the Irish Kids had several top 10 hits. I won’t hear anyone say they weren’t reliable.

Im ok with this as long as it’s on minimum chips. Needs to only be used in 2020 as a Goldsack style break glass in case of emergency depth player. Hopefully Darcy Cameron still comes in (plays ahead of him) Reid can be the back up.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sensible post. There’s no need for hysteria. Reidy is a quality depth player and he proved that in 2019.

Depth. We really have nobody the right age group apart from Moore and cant rely on Kelly Wilson and the Irish kids yet. Hopefully they make significant advncements next season along with getting some traded players in. Its disappointing that out key position stocks arent as good as they could be but Reid is valuable depth if fit.

I hop this means we arent leaving a spot open for Dunn though. We only have limited spots we can hand to senior players that might not be best 22.

I'd be shocked if we kept a spot open for Dunn. Despite the angst that remains from all those injuries in 2018, we're actually really well stocked for aerial defenders - Roughhead, Moore and Howe as first choice. Shaz as high quality depth. Langdon can pinch hit. Keane, Murphy and Kelly developing.

Image may contain: one or more people

magpie.central

Reidy signs on!

Ben Reid has signed a one-year contract extension for next year. Now let’s hope he can stay injury free in 2020 after a torrid run of injuries🤞🏽

Nice. Good to see we’re keeping the medicos busy for 2020.

We have already announced retirements to Goldsack and Wells.

We are currently holding onto draft picks 33, 51, 64 and 69.

As things stand we have a choice between Reid or pick 64. Which one is more likely to be useful in a 2020 bid for the Premiership? And that’s before considering delistings.
Hawks picked up Mitchell Lewis with a pick in the 70s

Good move to not diminish our already thin stocks of KPF players.
Won’t be on big $$.
Showed he’s still got something to offer during 2019 (8 games, 11 goals).
I’m positive that we can still get some value from him for 2020.

That’s 1 from how many picks in the 70’s that have made it.
I would estimate that up to 95% of players picked in the 70’s don’t make it.

Yes true. But it’s still a chance.
FWIW I understand the reasoning for holding on to Reid for 1 more year on min $$. However, surely it means Dunne is gone along with a few others that have been on the list for some time. We may well have 8 players delisted this year, so it makes sense to hang on to Reid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bahahaha watch out Richmond in 2020...

Hawthorn's Roughead kicked more goals in his final game than Ben Reid touched the ball in his most recent game. Well that's if you don't take into account the one handed marking attempts...

Last edited:
Yes but he's also spent a fair bit of time playing as a forward in the NEAFL.

The word going around was that we were looking at him to play a fwd/ruck hybrid role in our system.
Would he be third in line behind Cox and Reid for that role?

Unless Dunn voluntarily retires then we will give him another year too. We don't delist after major injury. Im ok with that policy. Didn't think we'd be keeping both Reid and Dunn though.

You need to have injuries first.

I know it’s brutal, but we have to raise our standards. I understand the depth argument - but is that enough justification for keeping Ben on the list? Depth also needs the player to be available when needed, and Ben mostly isn’t. I’d rather we brought in a young healthy tall, who may not be the player Ben is, or was, but can at least get on the park.

We have already announced retirements to Goldsack and Wells.

We are currently holding onto draft picks 33, 51, 64 and 69.

As things stand we have a choice between Reid or pick 64. Which one is more likely to be useful in a 2020 bid for the Premiership? And that’s before considering delistings.
Pick 64

Remove this Banner Ad

Back