Injury Ben Reid suffering from post season knee surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

COLLINGWOOD is playing down speculation injury-prone swingman Ben Reid has suffered yet another setback.

The 27-year-old has had a long injury history, including hamstring, calf, back and knee trouble in recent years.

Having played just four senior games in 2014, and five in 2015, Reid managed 17 games this year in an encouraging return to form.

At the moment he's recovering from serious post-season knee surgery.

The club maintains he's on track to resume full training early in the new year.

"He continues to be managed towards a return to full training in late Jan ... early Feb," a Magpies spokesperson told AFL.com.au.

"At this point he is putting kilometres into his legs.

"He will continue to do so."

Collingwood plays Essendon at Etihad Stadium in the opening match of the JLT Community Series on Thursday 16 February.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-15/key-pie-ben-reid-to-return-to-full-training-in-february

PCL he suffered early in 2016 and was managed through most of the season. Happy for the club to take a very conservative approach with him given his importance to the team in 2017 and beyond.

Will be happily surprised if Reid plays 50 more games of AFL. To me that would take him at least 3 seasons more to do.
If scharenberg stays fit and mclarty developd , it may be worth putting Reid's name out there in the 2017 trade period. Maybe someone flag hunting like GWS, with their litany of picks will offer up a 1st for him or take him as part of a trade.

latest

Or is there?

Davros_Wisher.png

What a beat up. Reid has post season knee surgery and the club holds him back until the New Year yet it's somehow a setback. Sounds more like sensible injury management to me.

Don't let the Truth stop a Good Article/News from the Media;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can recall so many on this board wanting to get rid of Reid, saying he was over. He did not have a single re-occurrence of the soft tissue injuries that troubled him in 14 and 15, he looked really good even carrying the knee for some time this year.

This guy is one of the keys to Collingwood playing good, competitive and attacking football. The guy is AA quality we should be praying he stays fit and stays with Collingwood, not offloading him for some future 1st rounder who may or may not get anywhere near the quality Ben Reid has delivered for this Football Club and if he gets there will take 2-3 years. I want the Club competitive now and the younger guys learning what it takes to be Ben Reid from Ben Reid.

If he needs to be managed to keep him on the park, the injury is not career ending, it's been repaired and he will take some time over the preseason to get it right. The preseason is for getting players in the best shape to take on the upcoming year.

Last edited:
Will be happily surprised if Reid plays 50 more games of AFL. To me that would take him at least 3 seasons more to do.
If scharenberg stays fit and mclarty developd , it may be worth putting Reid's name out there in the 2017 trade period. Maybe someone flag hunting like GWS, with their litany of picks will offer up a 1st for him or take him as part of a trade.

Um.. it would take anybody 3 seasons to play 50 games...

I"m one of the first to call conspiracy theories on this kind of stuff because our club is normally dodgy as talking about injuries.

But this does really sound like the media trying to create a story during a boring off season. I mean, he had knee surgery when, 2 months ago? maybe less? Of course he's still being managed through recovery from it.

Christ.

Perhaps we should get Gubby back so we can get pick 176 for him?

It'll get to a stage where Reid has missed so much footy he'll never recapture the AA form again.

Mr & Mrs Reid must have some soft genes !!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But he did recapture his AA form last year?

I'm backing him to do it again.

Collingwood and sensible injury management :drunk:

Did a pretty good job getting him on the park for the bulk of 2016. The bloke is obviously made of tissue paper, hopes and dreams.

I'd be putting him in a padded bubble until Round 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back