Player Watch Ben Reid (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we should go the darky option and trade him now for some top end talent.

And just how many suitors do you think Reid will have if we opt not to extend beyond 2019? I'd guess zero and if so, what's his trade value?

As I understood it, we weren't confident in Reid even though he was expressing his availability, and More wasn't confident in Moore even though we likely would have played him if he'd made the call so not sure we were actually in a position to roll the dice.

They were both fit and available and as you say confidence was the issue. So they were in a position to do so. But nobody had the confidence/bravado to go down that path. Moore arguably should have been risked.

Moore quite rightly was freaking out at the possibility of letting the team down and the circus that would go along with that. Whilst Reid had put his hand up with consistent if unspectacular footy, albeit at the wrong end of the ground.

(EDIT.............I know that this would have been an extremely difficult and risky decision and on balance I fully understand why the decision was made to stick with the winning formula and not go to an option who had confidence issues that his hamstrings would hold together. But I still cant help imagining what if)

Last edited:

They were both fit and available and as you say confidence was the issue. So they were in a position to do so. But nobody had the confidence/bravado to go down that path. Moore arguably should have been risked.

Moore quite rightly was freaking out at the possibility of letting the team down and the circus that would go along with that. Whilst Reid had put his hand up with consistent if unspectacular footy, albeit at the wrong end of the ground.

(EDIT.............I know that this would have been an extremely difficult and risky decision and on balance I fully understand why the decision was made to stick with the winning formula and not go to an option who had confidence issues that his hamstrings would hold together. But I still cant help imagining what if)
If the dice was to be rolled, the obvious risk was Moore in for Goldsack.

That simple. Works, high reward, doesn’t work, you lose a player who would have given 100% On effort but ultimately is a battler type.

Still decision was understandable.

If the dice was to be rolled, the obvious risk was Moore in for Goldsack.

That simple. Works, high reward, doesn’t work, you lose a player who would have given 100% On effort but ultimately is a battler type.

Still decision was understandable.

Ironically the what ifs that I will think about for a long time

What if Goldsack played the 2011 GF ahead of Fasolo
What if Moore played the 2018 GF ahead of Goldsack.

Ironically the what ifs that I will think about for a long time

What if Goldsack played the 2011 GF ahead of Fasolo
What if Moore played the 2018 GF ahead of Goldsack.
Or Goldsack played in GF 2010 instead of Blair and Davis might have been a premiership player.

Revolving doors.

He WAS a premiership player.

2010 replay.

In Goldsack
Out Davis

And kicked the first goal in the replay.

Youre forgiven.
One step back there Timmy.

Drawn game.

Goldsack plays, not Blair.

We might have done that but better meaning Davis gets a flag as does Goldsack.
The 47 misses out.

Hence we win, no draw.

One step back there Timmy.

Drawn game.

Goldsack plays, not Blair.

We might have done that but better meaning Davis gets a flag as does Goldsack.
The 47 misses out.

Hence we win, no draw.

Your imagination has got ahead of you. Blair was never in danger of being dropped.

Blair had done nothing wrong since his debut to warrant being dropped for the Grand Final(s) Neither had Maccaffer. Davis was the one who got dropped because of his complete lack of defensive capability or his ability to perform in big games.'

Blair and the Caff and Goldsack may well have been right place right time but thats all you need. That and the ability to do the team things.

Davis backed up in 2011 with an All Australian winning cheap kicks across half back and again was found missing in the GF, giving away some easy goals to his opponent (ironically Varcoe).

Your imagination has got ahead of you. Blair was never in danger of being dropped.

Blair had done nothing wrong since his debut to warrant being dropped for the Grand Final(s) Neither had Maccaffer. Davis was the one who got dropped because of his complete lack of defensive capability or his ability to perform in big games.'

Blair and the Caff and Goldsack may well have been right place right time but thats all you need. That and the ability to do the team things.

Davis backed up in 2011 with an All Australian winning cheap kicks across half back and again was found missing in the GF, giving away some easy goals to his opponent (ironically Varcoe).
I’m sure the selectors agree with your assessment; so in that way you are correct.

I was really speaking of (silly me) not picking Blair in 1990.
But I’ve been wrong before, many times.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please stop rewriting history.

It’s an opinion. Davis went missing when it counted.

Maybe Davis would have had a better career if Malthouse hadnt waited until 2011 to give him a run across half back.

As much as he was good to watch (amazing at times) he was a frustrating highlight reel. It’s no coincidence that working class footballers like Goldsack Blair and Maccaffer have premiership medals and he doesn’t.

Both Blair and Goldsack had/will have good AFL careers but I know who I'll remember. Leon lit up the MCG like only a few players can, magic, was a wonderful player who had an excellent AFL career...jet!

That’s not re-writing history though.

Varcoe has Geelong’s first two on the board and no doubt it was in part due to lax defensive work on Davis’ part.
First one was a centre bounce break down. Second was his fault.

He did more than get cheap kicks across half back to get an all Australian 20 possessions and 11 tackles suggest he wasn’t missing in the grand final.

It’s an opinion. Davis went missing when it counted.

Maybe Davis would have had a better career if Malthouse hadnt waited until 2011 to give him a run across half back.

As much as he was good to watch (amazing at times) he was a frustrating highlight reel. It’s no coincidence that working class footballers like Goldsack Blair and Maccaffer have premiership medals and he doesn’t.
Davis was actually given a medal.

And well deserved, we wouldn't have drawn the first game without him. Kicked a crucial late goal that no one else in the team would have made.
He also kicked the sealer in thd 02 port final, his 2011 season was simply incredible, walked on water! One of the few AFL players to make AA as a forward and defender.

I don't blame Ben trying, but i just can't understand the decision making behind his last contract, just mindboggling, the worst part for me is he didn't have the one issue, he had quad/groin/calf/hamstring issues, pretty much every soft tissue injury a player could have he had and we decided to roll the dice on iirc 2 contract extensions, and he never played more than 2-3 games in a row during the 2012-18 period.

Yep I agree his contract is a bit baffling. Would have preferred another season be given to Mclarty but thems the breaks.

I doubt Reid is chewing much salary cap. The club took the decision to give a premiership player one last year to get his body right and I respect that.
Lol McLarty.

With Reid we have a proven AFL capable player. McLarty barely looked adequate in the VFL.

With a lack of opinions we can’t afford to carry an unknown quality like that who had shown not a lot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back