Toast Ben Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Couldn’t find a thread on Reidy,
Just wanted to give the man a thumbs up for his efforts the last few weeks.
TBH I thought his time was up and although not dominant he is still playing a fine role, giving the selection panel food for thought re forward structure
Nice problems to have.
He continues to be a great clubman and servant for the black n white.
Great stuff Ben!

He did clunk a few yesterday, and let's face it, without him, we probably wouldn't have kicked crucial goals early on. Needed a tall focal point with Coxy on the mend. The mosquito fleet still got the crumbs without Cox having to swat everything down to them. Hopefully Reidy goes from strength to strength.

He’s a talented player. No doubt.

At his best, was a totally high level footballer.

His age and injury history has somewhat curtailed him but he’s still very capable.

Whilst he’s not a given in the side anymore, at worst he’s some sort of excellent depth.

But gee he can assist if no Cox or if required as a key back.

Played well yesterday. We’re very very very happy to have him.

Love Reid, but Cox is a definitely inclusion and Mihocek is a certain starter. Can't imagine a 3-tall forward line given our stocks.

So the only chance is Reid back -- does he take Moore's place if he's injured? Or Roughead (which would be harsh)?

Ben kicked butt yesterday but might have to make way for Cox in the name of team balance.

If we could trust his body to hold-up I'd play him over Roughie in the backline.

We're damn lucky to have him. 2010 he played out the GF with a fractured tibula; 2011 AA.

Love Reid, but Cox is a definitely inclusion and Mihocek is a certain starter. Can't imagine a 3-tall forward line given our stocks.

So the only chance is Reid back -- does he take Moore's place if he's injured? Or Roughead (which would be harsh)?

Mihocek is practically another small forward when the ball hits the deck. Great mobility and loves a snap goal.

I honestly think it's worth trying out Reid in the mobile CHF role that Travis Cloke played with Cox/Stephenson deep forward. Think there's enough space there for Checkers, WHE, Varcoe, J.T and co. to provide the defensive pressure without clashing.

Mihocek is practically another small forward when the ball hits the deck. Great mobility and loves a snap goal.

I honestly think it's worth trying out Reid in the mobile CHF role that Travis Cloke played with Cox/Stephenson deep forward. Think there's enough space there for Checkers, WHE, Varcoe, J.T and co. to provide the defensive pressure without clashing.

I'm happy to see it tested, for sure.

I enjoyed watching Benny do his thing yesterday. He was great in the air but did a fantastic job in diving for a few lower marks as well.

And he really seems to be enjoying himself out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I enjoyed watching Benny do his thing yesterday. He was great in the air but did a fantastic job in diving for a few lower marks as well.

And he really seems to be enjoying himself out there.

I perceived the same thing, he's having fun.

Ben is like a 10 year old car but with 320,000km on the clock. He knows there's just a few fast laps that remain, so he's loving every single one of them.

I perceived the same thing, he's having fun.

Ben is like a 10 year old car but with 320,000km on the clock. He knows there's just a few fast laps that remain, so he's loving every single one of them.

Yep, he received some nice applause just for going to the bench without a limp. Must be a good feeling for him to know that he can still mix it with the best...or at least the best that the Saints can throw at him.

He's developed his forward play incredibly, I think this patch by far the best I"ve seen him play forward, maybe best I've ever seen him play full stop, I have always thought he was much better as a defender but def proved me wrong.
Everyone talks about marks and goals but he is playing a true CHF role - ie a creative play making general. I mean I"m actualaly kind of amazed, it seems like a whole new elite level and styel of play he has developed. Jus 3rd game in so so you'd think will be a lto more improvement too if his body holds up. In particular his handball was great in this game, he created so many scoring opportunities it's not funny. I don't know it's something you can teach many people. would be great if he could teach Cox his handball game because sorry but Coxy doesnt' hold a candle to him at this stage.
of course it remains to be seen if he can sustain it against the top teams like Geelong, WC etc.
Def toast with caviar.

I thought he was on the whole pretty poor. Still able to get the footy and compete a little bit but took no marks last night and allowed Aliir too easy a time. If that's his worst then that's fine but Cox has a bigger scope to play a blinder, is better in the ruck, and when he's having a bad game Mason is still a weapon structurally that players still need to contend with. It's line ball, and I'm not against Mason having a game in the VFL as he'll be rusty after 4 weeks out. I'm also not against giving all 3 tall forwards a go either.

Would have liked to have seen Reid go back last night at some stage last night and see how Sydney contend with a smaller forward line. It would be great to know if he still has the defensive game in him and would give us much greater depth and flexibility. With his goal kicking he needs to throw goal kicking routines out the window. When he first started playing forward he was a nice kick and he kicked it different every time, perhaps because he was moved forward as a swingman but trained as a defender without really practicising goal kicking. He's just that sort of kick, a beautiful passer of the ball but his passes are very low piercers. That doesn't translate well to being a good set shot. He also doesn't seem to recognise the natural swing his kicks have and he lines up and tries to kick it straight.

He's developed his forward play incredibly, I think this patch by far the best I"ve seen him play forward, maybe best I've ever seen him play full stop, I have always thought he was much better as a defender but def proved me wrong.
Everyone talks about marks and goals but he is playing a true CHF role - ie a creative play making general. I mean I"m actualaly kind of amazed, it seems like a whole new elite level and styel of play he has developed. Jus 3rd game in so so you'd think will be a lto more improvement too if his body holds up. In particular his handball was great in this game, he created so many scoring opportunities it's not funny. I don't know it's something you can teach many people. would be great if he could teach Cox his handball game because sorry but Coxy doesnt' hold a candle to him at this stage.
of course it remains to be seen if he can sustain it against the top teams like Geelong, WC etc.
Def toast with caviar.
Riedy has definitely improved and very happy for both him and the club.

However

Ried does not command 2 players to mind him, nor does he warp the opposition defensive line before the first bounce.

Does it not strike you as more than simply coincidental that our forwards are getting harder tags on them at exactly the time Cox is out? He draws the defenders like flowers do to bees. And free's up his team mates.

Ried is most definitely a more talented and rounded footballer but Cox offers a dynamic that FORCES teams to derail their normal defensive structures and plays.

So yes Coxy DOES hold a candle to him in the only specific criteria that matters at the end of the game

He forces the opposition to play in a way they are uncomfortable with.

Thought Reid was pretty hard done by last night. Was shoved in the back by Allir about 6 times when he had front position, but got no frees for them because the umps don’t understand the difference between putting your hands on a blokes back to protect your space vs shoving a bloke forward so he’s out of the contest...

Riedy has definitely improved and very happy for both him and the club.

However

Ried does not command 2 players to mind him, nor does he warp the opposition defensive line before the first bounce.

Does it not strike you as more than simply coincidental that our forwards are getting harder tags on them at exactly the time Cox is out? He draws the defenders like flowers do to bees. And free's up his team mates.

Ried is most definitely a more talented and rounded footballer but Cox offers a dynamic that FORCES teams to derail their normal defensive structures and plays.

So yes Coxy DOES hold a candle to him in the only specific criteria that matters at the end of the game

He forces the opposition to play in a way they are uncomfortable with.
Interesting point but not sure how much I agree, I'll take a look at some replays with Cox. FO course you are talking about his marking due to his height. Ideally would be great to have both if it wouldn't throw off the forward line. AS someone just said someone woudl have to make way - well at this stage that could be Wills since he's being played as a forward.
the argument about 3 talls in forward line being too much assumes that tall players can't do the things smalls do, and I don't think that applies too much to Mihocek since he is so mobile and evasive just like a small. The way REid is playing I can't see how you can leave him out even though he isn't as mobile as Mihocek.

Interesting point but not sure how much I agree, I'll take a look at some replays with Cox. FO course you are talking about his marking due to his height. Ideally would be great to have both if it wouldn't throw off the forward line. AS someone just said someone woudl have to make way - well at this stage that could be Wills since he's being played as a forward.
the argument about 3 talls in forward line being too much assumes that tall players can't do the things smalls do, and I don't think that applies too much to Mihocek since he is so mobile and evasive just like a small. The way REid is playing I can't see how you can leave him out even though he isn't as mobile as Mihocek.
All different dynamics are in play here but when you are looking at the Cox replays WATCH CLOSELY how he looks for and finds opportunities to tap down to his forward line and on baller playmates instead of marking it. He is a very smart player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back