Toast Ben Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thomas much more so than WHE. Will has been ok providing the long hit up lead. All our forwards aren't going to get 20 disposals a game.
If it’s ever Hyphen v Thomas to me it’s a no contest, Will H-E every time.

Even if quiet, H-E can conjure a goal, have a great skilled moment that means he must be watched all the time.
He has magic hands as well.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Reid resurrection is to be commended.
But as soon as Cox is back in, Reid wont be able to rise to that big challenge.

Cox can ruck far better.

Cox has two or more paralysed in watching him.
Reid just can’t offer that.

If we are going to attempt to play all three big boys, the you’d think Mihocek does a far more flanking role.

To me the pecking order means Reid is number three and not picked before Mason and Brody.

These days, with Ried, It is what it is.

Somebody

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Somewhere
AFL Club
Collingwood
All different dynamics are in play here but when you are looking at the Cox replays WATCH CLOSELY how he looks for and finds opportunities to tap down to his forward line and on baller playmates instead of marking it. He is a very smart player.
Yes I definitley have noticed hwo he uses knocik-ons to advantage a lot and creates scoring opps that way. His devt has been amazing considering how long playing the game and must be tons more improvement to come. I just don't think he is currently able to do the stuff Reid was doing Friday nite yet. Intertesting probelm how to fit them both in same team without losing speed in the forward half.

Somebody

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Somewhere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Reid is handy up forward even if Cox does come back, either could go in the ruck with us not being one big man down in the forward line

One of WHE, Thomas or Stevo to be left out

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Especially against WC with all their talls and marking prowess, I think it could work well. REid and Cox could be rotated out of forward line all over the ground to keep a good forward balance, or course that happens all the time anyway in modern footy that you have most players in the back half/center.

The Reid resurrection is to be commended.
But as soon as Cox is back in, Reid wont be able to rise to that big challenge.

Cox can ruck far better.

Cox has two or more paralysed in watching him.
Reid just can’t offer that.

If we are going to attempt to play all three big boys, the you’d think Mihocek does a far more flanking role.

To me the pecking order means Reid is number three and not picked before Mason and Brody.

These days, with Ried, It is what it is.
Cox hypnotises em, Reid takes the grabs, if not the smalls are all over it.

Nicco_jj

Bigfooty Kid
Apr 27, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Thomas and WHE are struggling, but in some ways not everyone can be a star in the forward line. In a fwd of De Goey, Mihocek, Thomas, Elliott, WHE, Cox, Varcoe + floaters, they're going to play different roles. Not all can be judged on goals alone this year I think. I think Thomas is very dangerous and though he's only kicked 10 goals this year, he's capable of kicking a goal off a step in pressure when the game is on the line (did that against saint Kilda or Carlton I think?), and is pretty hard at it.

I think they're good for team balance. WHE needs to start marking more or he's in serious danger of being dropped. But he seems to be playing higher than last year. Would love to see all of them playing in the same side fit. Would be a nightmare for opposition defenders.

Thomas and WHE are struggling, but in some ways not everyone can be a star in the forward line. In a fwd of De Goey, Mihocek, Thomas, Elliott, WHE, Cox, Varcoe + floaters, they're going to play different roles. Not all can be judged on goals alone this year I think. I think Thomas is very dangerous and though he's only kicked 10 goals this year, he's capable of kicking a goal off a step in pressure when the game is on the line (did that against saint Kilda or Carlton I think?), and is pretty hard at it.

I think they're good for team balance. WHE needs to start marking more or he's in serious danger of being dropped. But he seems to be playing higher than last year. Would love to see all of them playing in the same side fit. Would be a nightmare for opposition defenders.

If JDG comes back and we do decide to go with Reid and Cox, WHE is the obvious one to leave out.

hasbean9

Senior List
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
With Darcy currently injured and not renowned for his durability Ben enters as not only vital insurance as a key forward but also down back having been "All Australian CHB" .I know AA was a long time ago and I don't need to be reminded of that. Our key backs in reserve Magden,Goldsack etc would be arguably lacking the size and nous of Ben. I really think he is very important to the Pies winning the holy grail this year.

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
If JDG comes back and we do decide to go with Reid and Cox, WHE is the obvious one to leave out.
For me can only see it as leaving out Thomas.
Making Mihocek more a flanking role as he has mobility.

Hyphen over Thomas on basis WHE has that skill set that’s more deadly than the Thomas repertoire.

If push cane to shove I’d still prefer Cox for Reid.

For me can only see it as leaving out Thomas.
Making Mihocek more a flanking role as he has mobility.

Hyphen over Thomas on basis WHE has that skill set that’s more deadly than the Thomas repertoire.

If push cane to shove I’d still prefer Cox for Reid.

I think WHE is a better player than Thomas, but I think if you are to change the balance by going in with an extra tall, you'd leave out the aerial flnker in WHE rather than leaving out a front and centre player like Thomas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think WHE is a better player than Thomas, but I think if you are to change the balance by going in with an extra tall, you'd leave out the aerial flnker in WHE rather than leaving out a front and centre player like Thomas.
Your logic is right on, just feel they’ll risk some balance to keep WHE and Thomas becomes the unlucky one.

I think Reid’s ground game and handballs and pressure all far superior to Cox. Think he generates as much scores from this as Cox does his taps and knock downs.

Still got great hands and seems reliable in front of goal. I thought he played okay / Good Friday. No worse than most of coxs games. Cox better in the ruck and provides better cover (where we a susceptible if Grundy goes down) but Reid could offer support down back.

Cox better for the get out of jail long ball. Statistically I think Reid is ahead but Cox intangibles worth a lot.

I would love to see them play together. Would help Reid because of the attention cox demands, get him playing chf and Cox deep. Brody is pretty mobile and we have good smalls so I think our pressure wouldn’t suffer too badly.

I’d be dropping WHE first and trying Reid and Cox combo, think we would want Varcoes manic pressure in the team too.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reid is far too weak under the high balls from front position. He will be destroyed by good defenders. If he plays against Hamling and Pearce this week he will get soundly beaten.

Cox worries every defender in the comp. Is huge and can jump. Only needs to take one or two pack marks and the impact is the tall and intercept defenders are anxious thinking of him.

Horaceg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
With Darcy currently injured and not renowned for his durability Ben enters as not only vital insurance as a key forward but also down back having been "All Australian CHB" .I know AA was a long time ago and I don't need to be reminded of that. Our key backs in reserve Magden,Goldsack etc would be arguably lacking the size and nous of Ben. I really think he is very important to the Pies winning the holy grail this year.
Madgen has a lot to learn, Goldy is a great lock down defender but lacks a little going the other way. Reid was awesome at CHB in his day and would love him down back if Moore struggles with his body. Assuming Cox plays.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Thomas seems to be getting caught snapping for goal on his left in really congested situation this year rather than getting the set shots and space to snap on his right he was getting last year. Just the way the footy falls sometimes but he could easily be challenging our leading goal kickers if things had gone his way.

Played well tonight, completely different player to the other two talls. I thought his field kicking was first class tonight in a scrappy game.
His kicking has always been superb, and he’s very good in the air. Those are his clear strengths.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
I think the defender Cox draws helps him out enormously.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Played well tonight, completely different player to the other two talls. I thought his field kicking was first class tonight in a scrappy game.

Certainly think the 3x talls experiment is worth more of a trial. I thought they complimented each other pretty well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back