Toast Ben Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

From memory prior to that injury early early in the north game he was starting to gain some momentum hit, hitting packs making a contest taking the occasional mark. He was looking like becoming a mainstream in the team leading into the finals.

Only problem is will be can he make it through a game.

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Worth noting that his first game back for a long time was round 8 vs Port. so he lasted 7.5 rounds before re-injury (R 15 vs North).
For that first game back

https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2019/7/coll-v-port (click full time stats)

...he got 13 disposals, 7 marks and kicked 1g4b. Not bad. (Featured in the highlight reel incl chopping out in the ruck.) Kept improving every game playing career-best footy as a forward (not including when he was all-oz CHB back in the day).
Suggests not a bad bet to bring back now, likely to last the 2 games required and have a decent immediate impact - even if to mostly just halve aerial contests but I think he'll do a lot more than that.
By far the best option IMAO.

Worth noting that his first game back for a long time was round 8 vs Port. so he lasted 7.5 rounds before re-injury (R 15 vs North).
For that first game back

...he got 13 disposals, 7 marks and kicked 1g4b. Not bad. (Featured in the highlight reel incl chopping out in the ruck.) Kept improving every game playing career-best footy as a forward (not including when he was all-oz CHB back in the day).
Suggests not a bad bet to bring back now, likely to last the 2 games required and have a decent immediate impact - even if to mostly just halve aerial contests but I think he'll do a lot more than that.
He was playing really well as a forward before that calf! The best we had seen in a long time

YOu can look at it as increasing risk of a player breaking down, which is statistically true since he is obviously fragile.
Or you can look at it as insurance for Darcy, actually that they would be insurance for each other since either one could break down at any minute. and either one can fill the role of the other in a pinch.
It depends how you look at it but hte more imortant thing is does Reid gives us the better chance?

Every choice is a risk but picking Reid greatly improves our forward structure and makes it something more familiar to the team who have trained for an extra tall forward for years.
We probably coudln't have won without Darcy last week although many criticised the inclusion as too risky.
It's lkely that it will be very hard to win the GF without Reid so not a lot to lose by "risking" him.

Last edited:
For that first game back

Agreed, I don't think we can win a flag without him, I think we need 2 talls in the forward line

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bucks on 360 last week (when answering Robbo question “is Collingwoods current forward set up, better off without Cox”?).
His answer: “If Cox was fit & available, then he would be in the 22”.
So, if that’s the case then 2 talls are part of Bucks desired forward mix.
Hence, Reid should play...especially now with JDG out.
Although, Reid wasn’t even an emergency last week???
I understand Shaz, Varcoe but why were Madgen & Daics ahead of Reid (as emergencies).

Bucks on 360 last week (when answering Robbo question “is Collingwoods current forward set up, better off without Cox”?).
I understand Shaz, Varcoe but why were Madgen & Daics ahead of Reid (as emergencies).

Cox would have definitely played last Friday night and we might have won by more. Rumours of Cox’s demise are greatly exaggerated. The fact Reid played forward early in the year in this role suggests he’s in pole position to do it again.

Doesn’t really matter who the emergencies are if they don’t play. With Jordy out everything changes.

From memory prior to that injury early early in the north game he was starting to gain some momentum hit, hitting packs making a contest taking the occasional mark. He was looking like becoming a mainstream in the team leading into the finals.

Only problem is will be can he make it through a game.

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app
How much sticky tape do we have?

Reid could be a very handy addition or a liability.

Cox would have definitely played last Friday night and we might have won by more. Rumours of Cox’s demise are greatly exaggerated. The fact Reid played forward early in the year in this role suggests he’s in pole position to do it again.

Doesn’t really matter who the emergencies are if they don’t play. With Jordy out everything changes.

Lol might have won by more if cox played?

You only need to watch Mihocek to realise why Cox isn’t going to make it and it’s as simple as one reason—-competitiveness.

The will to want to compete—to fly for everything, to get to every contests and importantly to not want to be beaten in any contest.
Unfortunately for Cox he doesn’t have this—hence why he flies with one hand more often than not, goes to ground when body pressure is applied to him or is easily moved by a smaller opponent.

It’s the desire to know that you’re going to have to get battered, bruised and work your ass off with limited reward at times to contribute to the team.

This is the reality as to why a guy like Mihocek succeeds more often than Cox.

The weather forecast. Note that there's no question mark there - BOM were predicting a dirty night weather wise.

Would be a huge 150th for Reid if he does come in for the prelim..

and what a way it would be for him to end his career on a high by playing in the GF and helping us win a flag *touch wood*

Let's get around him if he does get up for us!

If he becomes a key part of winning a Prelim against Nathan Buckley’s nemesis team, and then winning a GF against Tigers ...

... would be happy to reward him with decent contract extension. Would 7 years be a suitable thank-you?

You only need to watch Mihocek to realise why Cox isn’t going to make it and it’s as simple as one reason—-competitiveness.

The will to want to compete—to fly for everything, to get to every contests and importantly to not want to be beaten in any contest.
Unfortunately for Cox he doesn’t have this—hence why he flies with one hand more often than not, goes to ground when body pressure is applied to him or is easily moved by a smaller opponent.

It’s the desire to know that you’re going to have to get battered, bruised and work your ass off with limited reward at times to contribute to the team.

I watched the 2018 GF last week and Cox was sensational in the second half. If we had got over the line he would have been hailed as one of the key players in our victory. I love Mihocek. But I don't believe that Cox is any less competitive or willing to give his all for the club. Had he been playing in the last month when we have got our run and mojo back he would have been kicking his two goals each match and getting his hands on the pill around the ground too. Coxy will be back in the side in 2019 and we will be better for it.

I watched the 2018 GF last week and Cox was sensational in the second half. If we had got over the line he would have been hailed as one of the key players in our victory. I love Mihocek. But I don't believe that Cox is any less competitive or willing to give his all for the club. Had he been playing in the last month when we have got our run and mojo back he would have been kicking his two goals each match and getting his hands on the pill around the ground too. Coxy will be back in the side in 2019 and we will be better for it.

That’s not the same player.
We need to accept the fact that the Richmond game and the second half of that GF were anomalies.

He’s not as impactful on games as he’s made out to be.

And he’s nowhere near the competitiveness level of a Mihocek.
Not even close

Where did I suggest Cox was better than Mihocek?

We need two key forwards. Mihocek is more of a weapon when he’s not double teamed because he doesn’t have the physical size to beat two opponents.

Reid in will give us better balance. If he kicks a goal and frees up Mihocek to kick an extra two we are improved.

Last edited:
We need another bigger bodied forward to take the pressure off Elliott and co. Once De Goey went down Elliott had a different opponent and didn't get a kick for a half until he pushed up the ground in the last and found the footy again.

Reidy ticks the boxes of that key forward as well as some time in the ruck to give Brodes a rest the big fella really struggled in that last term to get to contests. One of Mummy and Steph Martin will be his next opponent so the physicality of Mummy or the power running of Martin will need to be considered when determining if Brodes needs a chop out (Which is a no-brainer for mine).

One word for it is tenacity, Also intensity. I agree that's been the main Cox missing ingredient, but maybe he can learn it.

Meanwhile Reid does have it, maybe not to quite the level of Mihocek and maybe that's just as well with his fragile body.
That said if Cox was available I'd be happy with either one. Maybe Cox is a natural finals player - but even when he was on last year he played like a giraffe instead of a gorilla.

Last edited:
Where did I suggest Cox was better than Mihocek?

We need two key forwards. Mihocek is more of a weapon when he’s not double teamed because he doesn’t have the physical size to beat two opponents.

Reid in will give us better balance. If he kicks a goal and frees up Mihocek to kick an extra two we are improved.

I was replying to your comment about thinking we’d have won by more if Cox had played.

We may need a second key forward but Cox isn’t the answer —-it’s painfully obvious by now.

Reid whilst not as good as Mihocek does still have that level of hunger and competitiveness that you just can’t instill in someone.

They either have it or they don’t and unfortunately for Cox he doesn’t have it hence why he’s happy to just “get a game” as opposed to being a main man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back