Past Ben Ronke - delisted 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

OeqIVxNL.png

Ben Ronke

Player Profile

Ben Ronke is an exciting Sydney Swans small forward who announced himself to the AFL world when he booted seven goals against Hawthorn in Round 8, 2018 in just his third senior match. The youngster’s MCG blitz saw him become the youngest Swan since 1982 to kick seven goals in a game – and he won an AFL Rising Star nomination in the process. Ronke slotted 24 goals in 2018 but just nine last year, so the Calder Cannons product is determined to recapture dangerous form in 2020.

Ben Ronke

DOB: 18 December 1997
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: St Bernard's (Vic)/Calder U18

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your right..he has been playing fantastic football this year

Been following the swan since i was 3 in 92. Apparently i really liked their jumper and it has stuck ever since. Always loved watching forwards so I do get a little excited when the club recruits the likes of plugger , hall, Tippett and buddy. Favourite footy moment was Leo Barry's mark, that game seems a little more special than the 12' version does to me.

Mick Oxlong said:
You have no idea. Obviously ok for any of Papley, Parker, Blakey to do so though? Delist yourself...absolutely clueless comment from someone who’s probably never played the game!
Superstar Swan said:
Id tip ive played more footy than most....every player is guilty of blazing away.. but not everytime they touch it within range

"FOUND A BETTER PRICE? WE WILL BEAT IT BY 9.8%" - sydney swans recruitment sales pitch

This from the guy who'd be 29-30 and somehow played more footy than most?

Superstar Swan said:
Id tip ive played more footy than most....every player is guilty of blazing away.. but not everytime they touch it within range

"FOUND A BETTER PRICE? WE WILL BEAT IT BY 9.8%" - sydney swans recruitment sales pitch

This from the guy who'd be 29-30 and somehow played more footy than most?
We arnt here to discuss each others credentials. Would you say ronke has been playinv team first football??

We arnt here to discuss each others credentials. Would you say ronke has been playinv team first football??
We’re not? Well it’s all part of the same conversation that began in the game day thread against Carlton, it’s completely relevant when you spit out rubbish like that.

Now to answer your question, I’ll will provide you with two examples of what Ronke’s role is. Do you remember the game against Hawthorn where Ronke kicked 7 and put on a dazzling display where each and every one of those goals brought you out of your seat? Well the first example was where he stepped around McEvoy (?), got legged, stood up in the tackle and slotted it from long range. The second was where Bruce McAvaney exclaimed that he’d forgotten about Ronke (was it the last qtr?) and he sidestepped, backed out, spun around to face goal and kicked it...beautiful goal.

On each of those two occasions, Ronke could have...scenario 1: (I) lowered the eyes and picked someone out that was coming at him (ii) hit the top of the square...scenario 2: (iii) looked for an option inside or outside or (iv) passed backward to an option straight ahead. On each of those occasions, Ronke elected to take it one and kick the goals himself...they came off. In the past two games, by taking the game off, they didn’t come off.

On every occasion, he had every right to take the game on because it’s his role to do so and it’s his role to back himself to do so. Selfish? Not in the bloody slightest and I will put money on it that Stevie J and Longmire back him to play that way every time he’s out there on the ground! It’d be handy if he could grab the ******* thing first!

Bloody unbelievable how you can be out of your chair cheering one year and calling them selfish the next for doing the exact same thing and just because it didn’t work!

We’re not? Well it’s all part of the same conversation that began in the game day thread against Carlton, it’s completely relevant when you spit out rubbish like that.

Now to answer your question, I’ll will provide you with two examples of what Ronke’s role is. Do you remember the game against Hawthorn where Ronke kicked 7 and put on a dazzling display where each and every one of those goals brought you out of your seat? Well the first example was where he stepped around McEvoy (?), got legged, stood up in the tackle and slotted it from long range. The second was where Bruce McAvaney exclaimed that he’d forgotten about Ronke (was it the last qtr?) and he sidestepped, backed out, spun around to face goal and kicked it...beautiful goal.

On each of those two occasions, Ronke could have...scenario 1: (I) lowered the eyes and picked someone out that was coming at him (ii) hit the top of the square...scenario 2: (iii) looked for an option inside or outside or (iv) passed backward to an option straight ahead. On each of those occasions, Ronke elected to take it one and kick the goals himself...they came off. In the past two games, by taking the game off, they didn’t come off.

On every occasion, he had every right to take the game on because it’s his role to do so and it’s his role to back himself to do so. Selfish? Not in the bloody slightest and I will put money on it that Stevie J and Longmire back him to play that way every time he’s out there on the ground! It’d be handy if he could grab the ******* thing first!

Bloody unbelievable how you can be out of your chair cheering one year and calling them selfish the next for doing the exact same thing and just because it didn’t work!
Well of coarse things get glossed over when the goals are going in. Eddie betts goals from the pockets are poor plays for the team but they still go through. However when your not kicking the goals unfortunately its a bad look and right now ronke isnt kicking the goals, so the net result is him consistantly taking low probability shots for no reward to the team

Well of coarse things get glossed over when the goals are going in. Eddie betts goals from the pockets are poor plays for the team but they still go through. However when your not kicking the goals unfortunately its a bad look and right now ronke isnt kicking the goals, so the net result is him consistantly taking low probability shots for no reward to the team
And that doesn’t make him selfish! Just because they’re not going through, doesn’t mean you stop trying...I’m sure Hayward is trying and his aren’t going through! Blakey kicked 3 behinds didn’t he? What about his poster at the MCG? C’mon, you’re starting to sound silly!

And that doesn’t make him selfish! Just because they’re not going through, doesn’t mean you stop trying...I’m sure Hayward is trying and his aren’t going through! Blakey kicked 3 behinds didn’t he? What about his poster at the MCG? C’mon, you’re starting to sound silly!

He has wanted small forwards for years, yet lo and behold there are a few in the team now and he doesn't like how they play.

He has wanted small forwards for years, yet lo and behold there are a few in the team now and he doesn't like how they play.
Correct..im not happy with the way they are playing.. if the best option is for the player to take the shot, then by all means tale the shots. If ronke marks 25m directly in front, i want him to take the shot.

What isnt ideal is that ronke picks the ball up 20m from goal, 1 m out from the boundary, under pressure and still refuses to give the ball off to heeney(from memory) until it was too late and being dragged down

And the idea that "its his job" to take those shots is bullshit. Buddy has more right than just about anyone to have played the game to take every shot when he is within distance , yet doesnt. Sometimes buddy is too unselfish with some of the shots he passes off.. cant accuse ronke of that i suppose

Late inclusion yesterday

Had some energy ill give him that, and could have snagged a bag if he kicked straight.

Not a bad effort, I just dont see him ever being close to the consistency that you need for the level and does not appear to have another string to his bow.

Papley can at least go to the middle and get a kick (though he didnt yesterday)

Can’t believe they gave him another run at it. Well, good luck Ben.

Small forward Ben Ronke and defender Barry O’Connor have also signed 1-year contract extensions until the end of 2022.

Can’t believe they gave him another run at it. Well, good luck Ben.

With the signing of Ronke and Reid, I believe Sydney thinks it is a serious flag chance.

Just as a matter of interest how do you work that out ?
I just think they could have invested more in youth. Reid is not the future. We are stacked with small forwards.
We could have gone in a different direction and rookied more players. This is the first year in a long time that we have loaded up on the main list and gone short on the rookie list. That does not make financial sense. Must be another reason.

I just think they could have invested more in youth. Reid is not the future. We are stacked with small forwards.
We could have gone in a different direction and rookied more players. This is the first year in a long time that we have loaded up on the main list and gone short on the rookie list. That does not make financial sense. Must be another reason.
We're still likely to take at least 5 players in the drafts, 3 National, 2 Rookie (although these might be used up by Anderson and McCartin). Maybe we're not optimistic about this draft year. Maybe we see Reid, Ronke, Clarke as offering more than an extra late National or Rookie draft pick. Personally, I'd have delisted both Ronke and Clarke, and even just forcing us to depend on McLean or Amartey at times, and delisting Reid, but I can also see him playing games if he is fit, and playing like earlier this year.

I'd suggest that maybe the expected loss of Hewett, and unexpected loss of Dawson, has freed up some money for next year, that we don't have time to use now, so a few last chance 1 year deals are affordable. We might even use more than the 5 picks, and just go in with a larger than usual list size for a year.

Will always be able to hang his hat on having one of the best small forward games a Swan has ever had

Featuring some god-awful commentary

We're still likely to take at least 5 players in the drafts, 3 National, 2 Rookie (although these might be used up by Anderson and McCartin). Maybe we're not optimistic about this draft year. Maybe we see Reid, Ronke, Clarke as offering more than an extra late National or Rookie draft pick. Personally, I'd have delisted both Ronke and Clarke, and even just forcing us to depend on McLean or Amartey at times, and delisting Reid, but I can also see him playing games if he is fit, and playing like earlier this year.

I'd suggest that maybe the expected loss of Hewett, and unexpected loss of Dawson, has freed up some money for next year, that we don't have time to use now, so a few last chance 1 year deals are affordable. We might even use more than the 5 picks, and just go in with a larger than usual list size for a year.
We could have gone 3 national and 3 rookie instead and saved ourselves 80k. It maybe me but I just don't understand why when we a supposed to be short of cap?

Will always be able to hang his hat on having one of the best small forward games a Swan has ever had

Featuring some god-awful commentary

The crazy thing about this game is that these were not arsey, seagull goals. He earned every one of them. Some of the tackles he laid, and tackles he broke, were immense.

It's a real shame he hasn't come on since then, and a part of me still hopes he can get his body and confidence right.

Sam Reid looked worse than his Brother in his last season at Collingwood. He’s done and should have been delisted. Club have been more than generous nursing him through the majority of his career. Very lucky to have lasted this long.

W
The crazy thing about this game is that these were not arsey, seagull goals. He earned every one of them. Some of the tackles he laid, and tackles he broke, were immense.

It's a real shame he hasn't come on since then, and a part of me still hopes he can get his body and confidence right.
Wouldn't it be great if he came back and was half as good as these highlights.

Funny little stat

No. of 5+ goal hauls since Ben Ronke's debut in R6 2018
Lance Franklin - 6
Ben Ronke - 2
Isaac Heeney - 1
Sam Reid - 1
Tom Papley - 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back