Coaching Staff Former Coach Ben "Truck" Rutten - Sacked for real this time - 21/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Semantics. I was clearly being facetious on the basis of him being a mercenary.
It didn't come accross clearly to me at all but fair enough. In terms of being a mercenary, if you got offered more cash and more years to do the same job at a different company would you say no?

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
It didn't come accross clearly to me at all but fair enough. In terms of being a mercenary, if you got offered more cash and more years to do the same job at a different company would you say no?
Depends, but we're then talking about two different contexts of professionalism. I expect, as a lot of supporters do, the loyalty of the players.
I'd hope we don't recruit players who are more interested in money and individual accolades.

Depends, but we're then talking about two different contexts of professionalism. I expect, as a lot of supporters do, the loyalty of the players.
I'd hope we don't recruit players who are more interested in money and individual accolades.
The club have zero loyalty to players, they have no issues cutting them if it's suits their interests.

Expecting loyalty when it only goes one way isn't fair to me.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
The club have zero loyalty to players, they have no issues cutting them if it's suits their interests.

Expecting loyalty when it only goes one way isn't fair to me.
Generally speaking, those interests are with respect to being able to perform to a certain standard. While a player can do that, of course the club is generally loyal to the player. If a player can no longer do that, that's time. The players know this and should be expected to do their best to prepare to be able to continue to do this.

Saad was getting games because he maintained those standards, then he chose to be disloyal to the club that enabled him to come back to Victoria tobe with his family (remember that?), and gave him those games and was willing to continue doing that.

Regarding Saad, he finished Top 5 in the B&F 3 times in a row I think. As far as club loyalty, all I can say is perhaps he should have been in the leadership group for 2020 at least.

Anyway, this discussion will be a carousel you and I will not see eye-to-eye on.

Generally speaking, those interests are with respect to being able to perform to a certain standard. While a player can do that, of course the club is generally loyal to the player. If a player can no longer do that, that's time. The players know this and should be expected to do their best to prepare to be able to continue to do this.

Saad was getting games because he maintained those standards, then he chose to be disloyal to the club that enabled him to come back to Victoria tobe with his family (remember that?), and gave him those games and was willing to continue doing that.

Regarding Saad, he finished Top 5 in the B&F 3 times in a row I think. As far as club loyalty, all I can say is perhaps he should have been in the leadership group for 2020 at least.

Anyway, this discussion will be a carousel you and I will not see eye-to-eye on.
It's not exactly like if we hadn't offered him a contract nobody else would.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

The reasons he left (focus on personal gain, unwillingness to play a team based role) were probably the reasons he wasn't in the leadership group

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Cash before flag.

No way Carlton are going to win a flag with a half back flanker one of their highest paid players, just doesn’t work. He’d be the highest paid small defender in the league. I’m disappointed he’s gone from a spectacle point of view but I’m happy we keep the cash to throw at Dunkley next trade period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cash before flag.

No way Carlton are going to win a flag with a half back flanker one of their highest paid players, just doesn’t work. He’d be the highest paid small defender in the league. I’m disappointed he’s gone from a spectacle point of view but I’m happy we keep the cash to throw at Dunkley next trade period.
I completely agree. He's not going to win a flag, it's for the cash. Which incidentally helps his family more than our contract.

And I've been guilty of feeling the same way as ghostdog in the past but I've moved past it. Clubs aren't loyal so supporters shouldn't hold players to a different standard. If there was a better option we'd have dumped Saad no questions, can't blame him for doing the same.

Especially when they leave and we get a good result.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I just don't understand why people get salty or angry about a player leaving when their contract is up, especially when we're trash. They've only committed to the club for that specified period. We didn't turn out to be as he thought we'd be so it's a two-way street. Saad honoured his contract and gave it his all every game he played. As far as I'm concerned, he fulfilled his contract so I have zero issues with him choosing to leave. I just wish he didn't go to the scum, but we got pick 8 out of them anyway.

Mar 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tassie Devils
I just don't understand why people get salty or angry about a player leaving when their contract is up, especially when we're trash. They've only committed to the club for that specified period. We didn't turn out to be as he thought we'd be so it's a two-way street. Saad honoured his contract and gave it his all every game he played. As far as I'm concerned, he fulfilled his contract so I have zero issues with him choosing to leave. I just wish he didn't go to the scum, but we got pick 8 out of them anyway.
Yeah I don’t really hold anything against him personally for leaving.

but he plays for Carlton now so * him

I can see this point, but also, **** Carlton. Which in turn, means **** Saad.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
I completely agree. He's not going to win a flag, it's for the cash. Which incidentally helps his family more than our contract.

And I've been guilty of feeling the same way as ghostdog in the past but I've moved past it. Clubs aren't loyal so supporters shouldn't hold players to a different standard. If there was a better option we'd have dumped Saad no questions, can't blame him for doing the same.

I don't think we'd have dumped Saad for a better option. I think we'd have kept Saad and tried to recruit the better option as well, given McKenna went home. But this is just being picky. I get the principle you're putting up.

thepokey

Senior List
Mar 12, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
New York Knicks, New York Yankees
Saad just wouldn't have been able to feed his family on the amount we were paying him :(

I do not know what the role actually is but there is some sort of cultural role / job he will also be filling that could extend past his playing career.
The dollar amounts of the contracts where pretty line ball in the end. It will come out in the end but my mail is there are a couple of players on the list he lost all respect for last year and he was not comfortable being in a club that clearly had a few divisions in the playing list. There is also an amount of truth in his inability to take feed back at times from what I hear as well. Seems a change of club could well be a win for both parties in the long run.

Anyway he has gone and we have moved on and the coach looks like he is heading down the right path to bring the team back to being a united group.

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
I do not know what the role actually is but there is some sort of cultural role / job he will also be filling that could extend past his playing career.
The dollar amounts of the contracts where pretty line ball in the end. It will come out in the end but my mail is there are a couple of players on the list he lost all respect for last year and he was not comfortable being in a club that clearly had a few divisions in the playing list. There is also an amount of truth in his inability to take feed back at times from what I hear as well. Seems a change of club could well be a win for both parties in the long run.

Anyway he has gone and we have moved on and the coach looks like he is heading down the right path to bring the team back to being a united group.

Any ideas on who those players were that Saad lost respect for?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back