Ben Simmons will be an NBA bust

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's been proven with the right shooting coach and right work ethic you can improve drastically as a shooter. The guy the Spurs used (not sure if they still do) worked wonders with Parker and then a miracle with Leonard completely reworking his shot and turning him into an incredibly efficient shooter.

Hard to know what goes on for other poor shooters who never improve but I would assume that there's plenty who just give up, never get the right coaching or mentally can't turn things around. You just have to consider the number of incompetent head coaches that constantly get jobs around the league and how poorly some franchises are run and then you can see how shooting coaches may never be a priority.

It's a difficult transition for any player. Drastically changing a players shot will typically involve a transition where that player shoots at a lower percentage than they normally would. It can take months, if not years, to rebuild a player's jump shot from scratch to the point where it becomes muscle memory. That's a long commitment for any player.

Whether Simmons ever becomes a great 3pt shooter or not will not define him. Obviously it will make him even more unstoppable but he has so many tools that he will be a force on the court regardless.

The fact is that Simmons has the potential to learn to be as good a scorer and shooter (yes, unlikely i know) as Ingram, but Ingram will NEVER be as big, as strong, as explosive, as smart (BB IQ), as good a passer, as good a rebounder, as good a ball handler and as good a post game as Simmons.

So when it comes to upside, it's not even close because most of Simmons great attributes CANNOT be learnt, whilst Ingram's point of difference (shooting) CAN be learnt and improved on.

Last edited:

Thing is though at the moment it's a scorer's league. Doesn't matter how many assists you rack up but the best guys in the league are scorers. Ben really needs to develop his skills further to be able to score himself. He won't be anything special in the NBA if he can't increase his scoring capabilities.

On Ben now- Unbelievable vision and passing. By unbelievable I mean out of this world unreal. He's like a Rondo/Rubio in a 6'10 body which is crazy. Some of the passes he executes...I'd say only a handful of players in the NBA can execute them. He's athletic but you wouldn't say he's Lebron out of this world athletic.
Rebounding is very good, boxes out and positions great. Should have no problem rebounding in the NBA.
His scoring instincts are very very limited though at the moment and that's a problem going forward if he can't develop these skills. At the moment he doesn't have any post moves, can't finish in traffic that well, no jumper even when left wide open (just has no confidence in it) and can't really create a shot for himself. Most of his points will be from in transition, free throws from driving and getting fouled to the basket and put backs. His half court scoring skillset is pretty poor at the moment TBH.

Extremely unique talent with question marks in terms of his scoring. If he expands his scoring range to say close to 18 a game (in his prime) he'll be a top 10 player, if not then he'll probably be a borderline all-star/very good player at best.

Ben reminds me so much of lebron, the way he moves, game style. Doesnt have lebrons explosion, but has supreme basketball iq.

He does need to attack more. Already teams are playing off him and daring him to shoo. His technique is decent , so it is something he can develop.

His passing, what can we say. simply exquisite, would have finished with 13 + assists today if he had nba level shooters around him

Whether Simmons ever becomes a great 3pt shooter or not will not define him. Obviously it will make him even more unstoppable but he has so many tools that he will be a force on the court regardless.

The fact is that Simmons has the potential to learn to be as good a scorer and shooter (yes, unlikely i know) as Ingram, but Ingram will NEVER be as big, as strong, as explosive, as smart (BB IQ), as good a passer, as good a rebounder, as good a ball handler and as good a post game as Simmons.

So when it comes to upside, it's not even close because most of Simmons great attributes CANNOT be learnt, whilst Ingram's point of difference (shooting) CAN be learnt and improved on.

great point

Ben reminds me so much of lebron, the way he moves, game style. Doesnt have lebrons explosion, but has supreme basketball iq.

He does need to attack more. Already teams are playing off him and daring him to shoo. His technique is decent , so it is something he can develop.

His passing, what can we say. simply exquisite, would have finished with 13 + assists today if he had nba level shooters around him

some good points. however, for me his passing is magic like, not lebron. but yeah.
teams will sag off him, and that will be the true test. he will grow.
not sure about 13+ assists. would noel/okafor/saric/covington/bayless have hit those shots? dont forget, they would also be defended by better players.

okafor and and noel will feast inside the paint with simmons creativity and quick hands.

If i were 76ers management, id be loading up on a couple of perimiter shooters asap.

when his shot develops, and players cant stand off him, it will open a lot more lanes to drive and open shot opportunities for others.

Could not be more impressed

Looks like a bigger Rondo right now. Not too impressed with his scoring, maybe he tries to score more in the NBA.

Has more Magic Johnson potential rather than LeBron potential I reckon.

Ben mentioned that he was trying to shoot more today, hopefully he carries this mentality into future games. Good thing is his shot isn't broken but needs to be a tad quicker in his release which will hopefully eventuate once he is more confident with his shot.

Defensively he has been good, still has moments where he fades a little but that is normal at this point in time. His IQ will allow him to get a couple of steals through disrupting the passing lanes imo.

Everything so far is indicating a very solid rookie season but this is the summer league which means in all honesty jack s**t for him apart from getting more game conditioned and gaining more game reps in his stroke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like who? No big free agents will be lining up to go to Philly anytime soon.

Their whole process has been about building through the draft.
They have just rebuilt during the draft by landing simmons, not saying he is their ticket to multiple rings, but they gave a lot better chance of landing superstars like westbrook than they did at the end of last season

They have just rebuilt during the draft by landing simmons, not saying he is their ticket to multiple rings, but they gave a lot better chance of landing superstars like westbrook than they did at the end of last season
They might attract some decent shooters which they need, but star power is unlikely. It's obvious in today's NBA it is very much about getting rings and Philly could still be miles off.

They might attract some decent shooters which they need, but star power is unlikely. It's obvious in today's NBA it is very much about getting rings and Philly could still be miles off.
Philly are miles off. however i can easily see players like lebron ( a while off yet) that will join simmons in hopes of a ring. I dare say that the philly team we see now (assuminh ben is still there) will be a lot different to the one we see in 4-5 years time.

Fortunes can change very, very quickly in todays nba

I'd need evidence that Simmons is a franchise player before I made wild predictions about how appealing Philly is as a destination for free-agents. If Simmons doesn't become a franchise star then Philly really haven't made much progress at all.

Philly are miles off. however i can easily see players like lebron ( a while off yet) that will join simmons in hopes of a ring. I dare say that the philly team we see now (assuminh ben is still there) will be a lot different to the one we see in 4-5 years time.

Fortunes can change very, very quickly in todays nba
Reality is Simmons looks like he's going to be a good passer in year one and deeply flawed as a scorer early on. For Philly to turnaround quickly they'd need a Durant or Towns like player who is a jet from day one. Even then it's still taking four years or so.

All indication is that they are building through the draft, not FAs otherwise we'd of seen an offer sheet for a Barnes, or even Crabbe.

Simmons with a jump shot has a chance to be a terrifying player, but even then he's not the best prospect on the roster. Embiid, has been 'the guy' since he was drafted. He's healthy now, whether that stays the case for the next decade will be a challenge, but if it works out he's the guy your riding the back off.

Add the best young player in Europe in Saric and one of Okafor or Noel and your already looking at a markedly different team next season than the one we've had previously. On top of that you've got two probable top 10 picks in next year's, guard and wing heavy loaded, draft, and you could have as many as 4 franchise level players.

The model is OKC, big time free agents are hardly a priority if your going to build through the draft.

His fake American accent pisses me off

Why say its fake?

He's been there through some important developmental years - its pretty common to have a mixed accent like he does: some words sound american, some words aussie, and many somewhere in between... It sounds more awkward than anything else, and I wouldn't think its fake. Go have a chat to anyone who moved to australia from NZ/UK/US during high school or early uni and you hear similar things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back