Ben Simmons

Remove this Banner Ad

3pdtoy.jpg

Man we're all using that word a lot these days. Wonder why!!!!

Boshtrich Burger liked this post WOOT WOOT yer!!!!!

Still shocks me to this day to see him on an NBA court.

Playing basketball as a 12 year old you never imagine one of the guys in the team above you is going to be a potential HOF/MVP in the NBA.

FTFY

Playing basketball as a 12 year old you never imagine one of the guys in the team above you is going to be a potential star in the NBA.

I'm honestly shocked to learn that you joined BigFooty at 13 and didn't get permabanned.

Playing basketball as a 12 year old you never imagine one of the guys in the team above you is going to be a potential star in the NBA.

I played against Joe Ingles in high school and he tore us to shreds.
Helped that he was the tallest bloke on the court too. Must admit I never saw him making the NBA though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Helped that he was the tallest bloke on the court too. Must admit I never saw him making the NBA though.
My main experiences with him were as a 12-13 year old when he hadn't really developed yet. He was a 1s player but Petracca and a few others were better than him. Always knew of him but didn't know just how good he was. Actually came back to play at my club in the same age level for U18s but ended up playing HS ball instead. At that stage it was obvious he'd make the NBA.

Fast forward to a few years later though and to see him go pick 1 and then drop a triple double in his fourth game completely blows my mind.

My main experiences with him were as a 12-13 year old when he hadn't really developed yet. He was a 1s player but Petracca and a few others were better than him. Always knew of him but didn't know just how good he was. Actually came back to play at my club in the same age level for U18s but ended up playing HS ball instead. At that stage it was obvious he'd make the NBA.

Fast forward to a few years later though and to see him go pick 1 and then drop a triple double in his fourth game completely blows my mind.

Its like that isnt it.
Same with me and some guys that played AFL.
Guys that werent great as kids but managed to forge a decent AFL career.

Angus Monfries is the one that springs to mind. I mean he was a very good player as a kid, but could never see him being a 200 gamer.

Used to go to a few South Dragons games with a mate back in the day. He still reminds me how he said Ingles would make the NBA. I feel silly for doubting. Great effort.

Used to go to a few South Dragons games with a mate back in the day. He still reminds me how he said Ingles would make the NBA. I feel silly for doubting. Great effort.

You shouldnt feel silly.
On face value he doesnt have the tools to play NBA.
However his work ethic and knowledge of his role, shot selection and good decision making get him there.

Ingles in the finals last year, or when the Jazz point was injured (if that was late last season, is it Ricky Rubio the Spanish pg?), and they tossed the ball to him an he ran the team from point foward, he looked like a legit 3rd team All-NBA all star, not the silly all-star weekend all-star game all-star.

You dont need to be super quick and athletic, Nash was one of the best ever points, and he only had threshold entry-level NBA level wind sprint, or horse sprint, what do you call that warm-up sprint drill in training? so long ago I ever did that.

Ingles, or as the seppo pejorative goes, Slow-Joe Ingles... or Slow-Jo. He is fast enough to do something when he beats a man, you just dont make the NBA top10 highlight reel on ESPN with that SteveNash-type threshold entry-level athleticism.

devil's advocate of SJI. If SlowJoeIngles had the otherworldly NBA athleticism, he would not have developed his specialties and talents to the same level.

triangulate your game skill and talent. Like the mathematician John Nash at Princeton won an Economics Nobel Prize, with the mathematic theory for #GAMEtheory. which, for a layperson, just think how one triangulates a decisionmaking, opportunity cost, and the consequences one's decisions have for all interfering touchpoints, aka ramifications.

my working theory, if Joe Ingles can jump, he would have been a lesser passer, a lesser shooter, he would have been a clone of Shawn Kemp.

Just like the Greek Freak Giannis Ak47, (ok, mixing and torturing nicknames)... if he learnt fundamental bball, he would have been a different 6'11" player, he only learns the fundamentals as a gangly uncoordinated 14yo at 6'6" volleyballer in Greece, but his handle, his ball handling, is strong enough to push it from a defensive board, and go past everyone, and do something with the ball, pass or dunk for finish the defensive board.

If he is a regular player, see: Wilt Chamberlin, he becomes a more "fundamental" /regular player.

His unique skills make him the player he is.

Ingles, the same. But SJI, just not making an ESPN Sportscentre play reel innit

Last edited:
Ingles has great basketball smarts. Was on his bandwagon as a youngster in the 08 Olympics.

Was very surprised that Anderson got picked up well before Ingles did.

Just like the Greek Freak Giannis Ak47, (ok, mixing and torturing nicknames)... if he learnt fundamental bball, he would have been a different 6'11" player, he only learns the fundamentals as a gangly uncoordinated 14yo at 6'6" volleyballer in Greece, but his handle, his ball handling, is strong enough to push it from a defensive board, and go past everyone, and do something with the ball, pass or dunk for finish the defensive board.

If he is a regular player, see: Wilt Chamberlin, he becomes a more "fundamental" /regular player.

His unique skills make him the player he is.

Ingles, the same. But SJI, just not making an ESPN Sportscentre play reel innit

see: Hakeem Olajuwon the goalkeeper in Nigeria and a soccer player. Would he have developed a footwork like Messi but for a 6'10" equivalent on the low-block.

What did they call Hakeem's back to basket moves? The H-shake? The Dream Shake.

with K McHale, he had the sweetest back-to-basket game in the NBA.

NB. other soccer players who went to grow to ~6'10" had brilliant footwork and post moves. The Argentineans. And the Spaniards. No coincidence they grew up playing soccer.

Ingles has great basketball smarts. Was on his bandwagon as a youngster in the 08 Olympics.

Was very surprised that Anderson got picked up well before Ingles did.
the NBA teams looked at the Dane from Frankston after his Rio Olympics, I hope he hangs around for Tokyo. He is 611" and will spread the defense when Dante and Simmons make the room penetrating in the middle.

caveat PP34 I have not really been following bball for the last 17 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back