Player Watch Ben Sinclair (Retired 2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't think we make finals if Sinclair had played every game this season?

I'd argue that Sinclair probably tips the scales in our favour against Melbourne, GWS and Adelaide. Those 3 wins put us in the 8 as our percentage is decent. Obviously if you add Wells and Varcoe to that list of players we needed all year and it's a sure thing.
He may have helped as would have an injury free Wells and Varcoe but the difference in us finishing in the eight was nothing more than accuracy for goals.
Forget everything else - red herrings.

He may have helped as would have an injury free Wells and Varcoe but the difference in us finishing in the eight was nothing more than accuracy for goals.
Forget everything else - red herrings.

No doubt accuracy in the grand scheme of things played a huge role.

But Sinclair is a defender. Specifically a small defender. Given the number of games we lost by 2 goals or less, Sinkers may have also prevented a few goals that may have got us over the line in quite a few games too.

For me personlly, I'd argue we missed having an actual small defender a lot more than a couple of mids/half backs.

In a season where the premier bucked the forward line trend by going almost exclusively small, a team we only lost to by 3 goals, I'd wager Sinclair was arguably our biggest loss this year.

Fair enough although the best team all year was Adelaide and they were loaded with talls.

Does Richmond winning with a small forward line now mean we shouldnt pursue a kpp any more?

Fair enough although the best team all year was Adelaide and they were loaded with talls.

Does Richmond winning with a small forward line now mean we shouldnt pursue a kpp any more?

No not at all. I didn't suggest that at any point did I though?

Although I have always said we should be targeting a small defender first and foremost because we have no depth in that area.

No not at all. I didn't suggest that at any point did I though?

Although I have always said we should be targeting a small defender first and foremost because we have no depth in that area.

No I was just postulaing that if we take your "Richmond had a midget forward line" as a template then maybe we should have a team full of mediums

No I was just postulaing that if we take your "Richmond had a midget forward line" as a template then maybe we should have a team full of mediums

I was merely using Richmond's template as an example of how having a quality small defender could have helped us this year.

Our mediums/small defenders currently aren't generally up to the task of curbing the comps better small forwards. Sinclair had finally established himself as a decent small defender and we lost him.

I"m just saying that in a season where 2 goals or less decided quite a few of our games, a good consistent season from Sinkers could have been the difference. In my opinion, it would have been. Obviously you could pinpoint other factors that could also have individually landed us in the 8. Accuracy in front of goal being the primary one.

Obviously - and it's been statistically proven, that a full season from Daniel Wells would have had us in finals also.

Now if you were to combine all these factors?

- We kick a bit straighter
- We have all 3 of Sinclair, Varcoe and Wells

We're definitely in the finals race and possibly even talking sneaking into Top 4 imo.

Understand what you're saying but disagree. He was a failure due to poor kicking. In terms of finding the space and winning the ball, he was very dangerous.

I think his kicking has improved out of sight since and, much like Reid, he'd now be a valuable forward. If he was ever fit we probably still need him down back though.

His field kicking has always been pretty good. Sprayed a few shots on goal and got labelled but that doesn't make it so that he's a poor kick. I always thought he was okay as a forward. Yes he sprayed a few shots on goal but he was doing everything right in terms of positioning and movement to actually get those opportunities. Still ended up with more goals than points from memory. Has even kicked a few ripper goals since moving to defence.

You had the like from me until this sentence. There's no one player on our list capable of having a 4 win impact on our season especially one that's missed as much footy as Sinner.

I'd argue Wells could have changed the outcome of 4 games if he'd played 22 instead of 10.

No doubt accuracy in the grand scheme of things played a huge role.

But Sinclair is a defender. Specifically a small defender. Given the number of games we lost by 2 goals or less, Sinkers may have also prevented a few goals that may have got us over the line in quite a few games too.
Na we would of lost by 4 goals instead

I find it staggering that Sinkers isn't re-signed yet.

He's literally our only small defender option. Unless he's about to retire, he should be re-signed ASAP

Me too I mean keeping a bloke on who averages 10 matches a year and has spent most of the last 3 seasons battling hamstring injuries and concussion. What could we possibly be waiting for.

Don't get me wrong a fit Sinclair would be handy but he has no durability whatsoever. I feel for the kid but I reckon he is cooked.

I find it staggering that Sinkers isn't re-signed yet.

He's literally our only small defender option. Unless he's about to retire, he should be re-signed ASAP
I suspect that the likely acquisition of Murray from the Swans indicates that Sinclair's position on our list is in serious danger.

I suspect that the likely acquisition of Murray from the Swans indicates that Sinclair's position on our list is in serious danger.

Is this Murray a small defender?

edit:

Nope

An aggressive small forward, Murray kicked 16 goals in the NEAFL last season in a promising first year in the system. Recruited straight out country football, the mature-ager is still raw but will look to develop further under the guidance of second-year coach Rhyce Shaw. A move into the midfield and another pre-season at the highest level should bring him on this year.

Remind me why Sinclair's spot is in jeopardy from this guy?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

edit:

Nope

If you followed thread you will realise that’s what he is now a small very quick defender

edit:

Nope

He was a forward last year but much like Sinclair he was thrown back this year and by many reports thrived. He's very quick like Sinclair and breaks the lines.

So, yep, he's a small defender. :thumbsu:

The bloke is a gun with fit, don't be stupid Collingwood.
Benny Sincs, if out of contract, should be a delist/re-rookie proposition. He’s better than anyone we’re likely to rookie in a shallow draft, and he can stay on the shelf and prove his fitness before being elevated or even a nominated rookie.

Benny Sincs, if out of contract, should be a delist/re-rookie proposition. He’s better than anyone we’re likely to rookie in a shallow draft, and he can stay on the shelf and prove his fitness before being elevated or even a nominated rookie.

Problem is we give someone else the opportunity to draft him.

It may be a question of how much $$$ we want to free up in the cap. If that’s not an issue, i’d Like to see the club show some loyalty to players and standing by them. I can understand if they don’t..,

I really rate Sinclair but it may be best for us to delist and rookie, one of the best things about the new players CBA was that category A rookies don’t need to be upgraded anymore and can play from round 1. This frees up a senior list spot for the draft, might not be a bad idea to do the same for Ramsay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back