Player Watch Ben Sinclair (Retired 2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd happily delist and re-rookie Ramsay - I think he deserves one more year to get over the knee. And his quality of play was so low this season that nobody else will be thinking of picking him up.

Sinclair, though, won't last if we attempt the re-rookie trick, in my opinion. When he's on the park he's quality. Another club will take the punt and we'll lose him.

If fit he's best 22, easily. And given we've got a new fitness boss coming in, I'd give him another year to adapt to a competent high performance manager whose program doesn't twang hammies like guitar strings.

In all honesty I reckon Sinclair was a missing link last year. He was really developing nicely into a small defender, until he had multiple concussions and then the serious hamstring issue. He ultimately plays the role we lack, which is small running defender. He is one of the few on our list that takes the game on from half back.

I just can't see him ever getting back to his best. He'll always be 1 injury away from retirement. And he basically hasn't played for 2 years now.

It's unfortunate, but I'd delist. Potentially look to rookie. We have a few spots open and it's a weak draft, so happy to give him a second chance if he is physically capable.

He was a forward last year but much like Sinclair he was thrown back this year and by many reports thrived. He's very quick like Sinclair and breaks the lines.

So, yep, he's a small defender. :thumbsu:

Ok, I'm ok with this if we get him and he's a similar type. On board.

The Magpies have conceded unlucky defender Ben Sinclair could be headed for early retirement, after a terrible run with injuries.

The 26-year-old failed to play at all in 2017 after hamstring tendon surgery in February.

He suffered the tendon tear in a pre-season game against Essendon, which came after he missed the last five games of 2016 following his fourth concussion for the year.

"Ben has had a horrific run of bad luck with both concussion and hamstrings," Collingwood football manager Geoff Walsh told NAB AFL Trade Radio.

"We're in discussions with Ben and the medical team right now, as to what the future holds for him, so that's a question mark for all of us at this stage."

Read the full story, which includes updates on the Pies' expected deal for Sydney's Sam Murray, interest in Alex Fasolo, and their 2018 pursuit of Gold Coast's Tom Lynch, here.

The Magpies have conceded unlucky defender Ben Sinclair could be headed for early retirement, after a terrible run with injuries.

The 26-year-old failed to play at all in 2017 after hamstring tendon surgery in February.

He suffered the tendon tear in a pre-season game against Essendon, which came after he missed the last five games of 2016 following his fourth concussion for the year.

"Ben has had a horrific run of bad luck with both concussion and hamstrings," Collingwood football manager Geoff Walsh told NAB AFL Trade Radio.

"We're in discussions with Ben and the medical team right now, as to what the future holds for him, so that's a question mark for all of us at this stage."

Read the full story, which includes updates on the Pies' expected deal for Sydney's Sam Murray, interest in Alex Fasolo, and their 2018 pursuit of Gold Coast's Tom Lynch, here.

If this is the end of the road, bad luck Ben. I'll confess to never being a full fan but I've appreciated your persistence, courage and dedication. And you've played more games than many posters including me, could only dream of. I really do hope you are able to play on but if not, your health is far more important

I suspect its the end for Sinkers, hammies like guitar stings are one thing but the last few times I saw him play he got concussion with very slight knocks and it just did not look good for him. Definitely a talented player and very courageous however, I can't see him getting over his physical concerns and getting back to his best from here.

I suspect its the end for Sinkers, hammies like guitar stings are one thing but the last few times I saw him play he got concussion with very slight knocks and it just did not look good for him. Definitely a talented player and very courageous however, I can't see him getting over his physical concerns and getting back to his best from here.
And it's probably the one thing we need that has contributed to those injuries, his speed

Poor guys body just wasn't up to it, would have been handy I believe off half back, but we'll never know what the sky was for him.

We drafted a player with potentially chronic injuries and he spent most of his career on the sidelines. From memory he sat out the first 2 years before registering a game. Sure he had speed and showed briefly that he could give us run off half back, but I won't be at all surprised if he retires. Bad luck for the kid and for us, but if you draft them injured, they often stay that way. Hopefully Scharenberg is not going to be a Sinclair mk 2.

We drafted a player with potentially chronic injuries and he spent most of his career on the sidelines. From memory he sat out the first 2 years before registering a game. Sure he had speed and showed briefly that he could give us run off half back, but I won't be at all surprised if he retires. Bad luck for the kid and for us, but if you draft them injured, they often stay that way. Hopefully Scharenberg is not going to be a Sinclair mk 2.

Played most VFL games in 2010, it was a broken leg that kept him out in 2011. Still managed 4 senior games and was named as an emergency for the GF, showed how highly he was thought of even back then.

One of my favourite blokes on the list. Worth a year on the rookie list imo, especially with the fresh faces we'll have in the strength and conditioning department next year.

I'd rookie him, he's spent a fair time out of the game and will take time in the VFL in any event. If fit he's in the 22 but risk of not getting on the park and his health concerns are an issue when combined.

I'd rookie him, he's spent a fair time out of the game and will take time in the VFL in any event. If fit he's in the 22 but risk of not getting on the park and his health concerns are an issue when combined.
If there is big health concerns on him, Sincliar may not get that chance. Could be the end of the line. Unfortunately

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played most VFL games in 2010, it was a broken leg that kept him out in 2011. Still managed 4 senior games and was named as an emergency for the GF, showed how highly he was thought of even back then.

One of my favourite blokes on the list. Worth a year on the rookie list imo, especially with the fresh faces we'll have in the strength and conditioning department next year.
My memory failed me yet again but I still don't see Sinclair playing any kind of role if he stays. Unfortunately he could have given us speed where we have none. We will be one quick small defender short until we recruit someone who can run and kick. Hopefully Kirby is our answer to a similar deficiency up forward.

We cant rookie everybody. We will definitely rookie somebody you'd imagine, but I'd assume Oxley is in line for that spot. Partly because hes contracted so we get some cap benefit out of not outright delisting him. Sier would have been another but hes just signed on to the senior list for another year.

We cant rookie everybody. We will definitely rookie somebody you'd imagine, but I'd assume Oxley is in line for that spot. Partly because hes contracted so we get some cap benefit out of not outright delisting him. Sier would have been another but hes just signed on to the senior list for another year.
I'd just like to see if he can get it right, i get its pretty cutthroat these days but he adds something if healthy

I don't recall any injury issues with him early or potentially chronic. Just couldn't force his way into a very strong 2010 senior team. Eventually debuted late 2011 and played nearly every game 2012 and most 2013. It wasn't till 2014 that he started having hammy issues. Even 2016 it wasn't hammy issues that kept him out, it was concussion. Played every game when fit and available.

I'd just like to see if he can get it right, i get its pretty cutthroat these days but he adds something if healthy

Unfortunately it looks like the wrong year for him. Unlike previous seasons we dont have a lot of (uncontracted) dead wood we can get rid of to open up list spots and still carry an injured player.

I don't recall any injury issues with him early or potentially chronic. Just couldn't force his way into a very strong 2010 senior team. Eventually debuted late 2011 and played nearly every game 2012 and most 2013. It wasn't till 2014 that he started having hammy issues. Even 2016 it wasn't hammy issues that kept him out, it was concussion. Played every game when fit and available.
I recalled him arriving with foot problems but must have been thinking of someone else. No wonder I post so rarely these days. What with a failing memory and a diluted interest in the team (lack of success but mainly due to my absence from the country during almost the entire footy season), perhaps I should just lurk rather than post. I never really saw Sinclair as a bad pick up despite his ordinary kicking early in his career as he was taken very low in the draft and has done OK when he has managed to string together a few games. We have no one else who can play his role in defence. However, it seems that injury has wound up his career well ahead of time.

I recalled him arriving with foot problems but must have been thinking of someone else. No wonder I post so rarely these days. What with a failing memory and a diluted interest in the team (lack of success but mainly due to my absence from the country during almost the entire footy season), perhaps I should just lurk rather than post. I never really saw Sinclair as a bad pick up despite his ordinary kicking early in his career as he was taken very low in the draft and has done OK when he has managed to string together a few games. We have no one else who can play his role in defence. However, it seems that injury has wound up his career well ahead of time.

Feeling your pain, I'd forgotten his broken leg early 2011.

Agree, sadly it could well spell the end. You'd imagine they'd have a pretty good understanding of the hammy's, but the concussion issues would be really concerning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back