Player Watch Ben Sinclair (Retired 2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not a silly request the forum is based on football and I asked you to watch the game and you can't. You have no memory of a single turnover. Please. Come back when you have some knowledge of the game instead of firing back with rediclous posts.
I have memory of at least two horrific shanks from the second quarter, which happened to be when I checked my app to see what DE he was running at. It's an imbecilic request for you to ask for the exact moments. You know damn well that nobody will sift through the game to point out the exact moments he stuffs up.

Maybe you should take your own advice and stop making 'ridiculous' posts, with unreasonable requests.

I have memory of at least two horrific shanks from the second quarter, which happened to be when I checked my app to see what DE he was running at. It's an imbecilic request for you to ask for the exact moments. You know damn well that nobody will sift through the game to point out the exact moments he stuffs up.

Maybe you should take your own advice and stop making 'ridiculous' posts, with unreasonable requests.
The AFL app allows you to forward to the moments you want to as it has the whole game quarter by quarter on highlights. It wouldn't be very hard to tell me the times that he stuffs up.

Apex is correct on this, his disposal in the first half was poor but he cleaned it up big time in the second half and had a great game all up. I remember him clearly burning a few kicks in the first half, if you really want me to find them I'll watch a replay later this week(as I always do) and write down the times in he first half and post back in here

Well split my dick and call me Caitlyn, TG's toasting Sinclair
Have to agree with TG.
If not for Pendooblbury he would have taken the Tissot.

Apex is correct on this, his disposal in the first half was poor but he cleaned it up big time in the second half and had a great game all up. I remember him clearly burning a few kicks in the first half, if you really want me to find them I'll watch a replay later this week(as I always do) and write down the times in he first half and post back in here
Please do. I'll be interested to re watch them.

Sinclair is actually improving. he's got weaknesses (marking contests, kicking skills) but he really taking the game on, providing a lot of run, a quality we need, his kicking while not great was good as most players sat night, plenty of players turned it over.

popular whipping horse not as bad as popular believed. a marginal player in the 20-28 range.much like jessie white have their uses in the context of the the collingwood list. sure we would be a better team if neither was close to a regular game.

Sinkers appears to be one of those (apparently) rare beasts - a footballer who is improving under Bucks. He is currently playing with some spirit and endeavour in the backline, so good on him. Pound for pound he may not be the footballer we think (hope, believe) Ramsay is, or that elusive mythological creature known as 'Scharenberg', who haunts the halls of the Holden Centre (some have actually seen him), but he is holding down his position.

Interesting also to read above that Sinkers was drafted in 2009, so he's into his seventh year on our list. He has survived for that long for a reason.

Last edited:
This is the problem with players like Sink, they have been in our system for a while now and we are still saying "improving now" or "gets injured a lot and needs time to settle" we need players who have played the game as long as "Sinks" to be regular, reliable & solid AFL players...
Which of those below are going to be that player(s)???????????????????????

Oxley
Crisp
Sinclair
Williams
Ramsay
Witts
Gault
MaCaffer
Goldsack
Toovey
Blair
White
Frost
Broomhead
Thomas
Keefe

This is the problem with players like Sink, they have been in our system for a while now and we are still saying "improving now" or "gets injured a lot and needs time to settle" we need players who have played the game as long as "Sinks" to be regular, reliable & solid AFL players...

Oxley
Crisp
Sinclair
Williams
Ramsay
Witts
Gault
MaCaffer
Goldsack
Toovey
Blair
White
Frost
Broomhead
Thomas
Keefe

Williams, Ramsay, Keefe for depth.

The rest are cannon fodder/ trade bait - the majority of which should have been moved on at least a year ago but have survived due to poor list management metrics and injuries.

Sinkers appears to be one of those (apparently) rare beasts - a footballer who is improving under Bucks. He is currently playing with some spirit and endeavour in the backline, so good on him. Pound for pound he may not be the footballer we think (hope, believe) Ramsay is, or that elusive mythological creature known as 'Scharenberg', who haunts the halls of the Holden Centre (some have actually seen him), but he is holding down his position.

Interesting also to read above that Sinkers was drafted in 2009, so he's into his seventh year on our list. He has survived for that long for a reason.

we know that he's got some talent because malthouse drafted him but he hasn't been developed properly under buckley....... I think we've established that here in the forum...

As for Shazza, I think that I agree with the general assessment that he should be swapped for a first round draft pick....

I thought he was great tonight.

Ditto, had among our bests. Missed 1 target that I recall and his run and dare was impressive.

I can not think of one Clanger he had not one. Everytime be used the ball he passed to a team mate.

Sinclair 24 disposals with 19 considered effective giving him a DE% of 79.2%. Treloar, Aish, DeGoey, Moore, Phillips, Cloke and Greenwood all got less of the footy and weren't as efficient, Moore at 34%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree to an extent, but he does also seem to do a lot more than the rest of our smells to give our KPD a chop out.

Yep, works as hard as anyone in defense to cover for teammates.

Oxley
Crisp

Sinclair
Williams
Ramsay
Witts
Gault
MaCaffer
Goldsack
Toovey
Blair

White
Frost
Broomhead
Thomas
Keeffe

Pretty harsh to expect a speculative late draft pick who has endured an injury riddled 6 years to notch 60 games to be firmly established but I think the selectors show great faith in him for good reason and if fit he gets picked. That to me says he's already there and that is borne out by the consistency of his 2016 season.

Interesting also that 8 of the players you've listed have found there way to AFL via the rookie draft so maybe they've surpassed expectations already.

Sinclair is one of those players who the majority perceive as being a poor player. So when watching games they tend to just remember his poor moments, and ignore the majority of the game where is more than performs his role.

First half Sinclair had seven kicks

Kick1 – a 55m long perfect kick to Varcoe inside 50, (arguably the best kick of the half from any player), TV then gave it to Greenwood who missed

Kick2 - a good run and carry from a clearance, kicked on his non-preferred left into F50 which was marked by Weitering

Kick3 – a 20 sideways chip to Phillips across HB

Kick4 – poor kick inside to Sidey after a poor kick from Reid to his disadvantage out on the wing, Kreuzer won the ball but then skied a kick and Sinclair himself actually crashed the pack and guided the ball down to Nate Brown and we were away again no damage done

Kick5 – poor kick out wide to Varcoe that resulted in a TO as marked by the Irish Carlton bloke, although again he was under the pump as Aish HB to him without shepherding and Caslboult tackled him as he kicked

Kick6 – around the corner kick that was high and marked by Aish

Kick7 – good long kick to Pendles in a one on one out on the wing, Pendles half held but played up to it and was spoilt pretty easily in the end

The Sink also had 6 or 7 HBs in first half, with only one being a suspect HB, the rest were good linking HBs as he tried to generate run across HB.

Point being that if it was a guy like Varcoe, people who only remember the amazing pass and all of the nothingness is overlooked as the perception is that he is a good user.....but with Sinclair, need to reinforce the perception that he is a poor user, so it is the poor kicks when under pressure that people remember most.

Sinclair 24 disposals with 19 considered effective giving him a DE% of 79.2%. Treloar, Aish, DeGoey, Moore, Phillips, Cloke and Greenwood all got less of the footy and weren't as efficient, Moore at 34%.
No obvious clangers from what I saw, most of his possessions in the first half went to team mates, he had a lot of handballs in the first half and ran the ball out.

Sinclair is one of those players who the majority perceive as being a poor player. So when watching games they tend to just remember his poor moments, and ignore the majority of the game where is more than performs his role.

First half Sinclair had seven kicks

Kick1 – a 55m long perfect kick to Varcoe inside 50, (arguably the best kick of the half from any player), TV then gave it to Greenwood who missed

Kick2 - a good run and carry from a clearance, kicked on his non-preferred left into F50 which was marked by Weitering

Kick3 – a 20 sideways chip to Phillips across HB

Kick4 – poor kick inside to Sidey after a poor kick from Reid to his disadvantage out on the wing, Kreuzer won the ball but then skied a kick and Sinclair himself actually crashed the pack and guided the ball down to Nate Brown and we were away again no damage done

Kick5 – poor kick out wide to Varcoe that resulted in a TO as marked by the Irish Carlton bloke, although again he was under the pump as Aish HB to him without shepherding and Caslboult tackled him as he kicked

Kick6 – around the corner kick that was high and marked by Aish

Kick7 – good long kick to Pendles in a one on one out on the wing, Pendles half held but played up to it and was spoilt pretty easily in the end

The Sink also had 6 or 7 HBs in first half, with only one being a suspect HB, the rest were good linking HBs as he tried to generate run across HB.

Point being that if it was a guy like Varcoe, people who only remember the amazing pass and all of the nothingness is overlooked as the perception is that he is a good user.....but with Sinclair, need to reinforce the perception that he is a poor user, so it is the poor kicks when under pressure that people remember most.
I remember Ben Johnson had the same knock on him. but he was actually one of our best kicks in his last 6-7 years.

People do have selective and long memories and seem to hold grudges. Sinclair has been good for a long time now.

Sinclair actually started off as a small forward. He has always had blistering pace but his disposal at the start was very poor. So while he had some attributes as a defensive small forward that could have made him a good small forward his disposal let him down.

He was left in the twos and learnt the game as a small defender. This has worked a treat as his closing speed and manic tackling suit this position. He can take all those quick small forwards that usually give us the run around.

He has also added to his game. He can rebound and run both ways effectovely. His kicking has also improved out of sight and reminds me of the way Ben Johnson transformed his game. For that you have to take your hat off to him as he has worked on his deficiencies. He just has to work on those dodgy hammies and try not to get knocked out wvery second week.

No obvious clangers from what I saw, most of his possessions in the first half went to team mates, he had a lot of handballs in the first half and ran the ball out.

Oh there were, just not as bad as some suggest, and nobody in the team was immune to it so just not sure why some choose to make such an issue of it in Sinclair's case.

I remember Ben Johnson had the same knock on him. but he was actually one of our best kicks in his last 6-7 years.
Yep, another who plenty perceived as a poor kick.

Once somebody decides you're a poor user it takes a long time to shake that perception...and people remember the mistakes, as if reinforcing their reason for not rating then.

BJ had a career with a couple of top3 finishes in the BnF, cracking long running goals and great drive off HB, but plenty still jumped on him if he had a poor kick.

Loved the run down tackle...without pinging a hamstring!

Although it was hilarious hearing the commentators whinging " that should have been holding the man because the guy who bounced the ball F%%^cked up the bounce and therefore was not in possession when Sinclair tackled him"
Yeah that had me saying wtf too!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back