Player Watch Ben Sinclair (Retired 2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey THATSGOLD I recall you saying a post of mine last week was disgraceful because I suggested dropping Sinclair. If you want to see what disgraceful looks like, here are some of your efforts on Sinclair over the years (2015-March 2016). I'm glad you're not our list manager.
What an epic list rofl :D

Sinkers appears to be one of those (apparently) rare beasts - a footballer who is improving under Bucks. He is currently playing with some spirit and endeavour in the backline, so good on him. Pound for pound he may not be the footballer we think (hope, believe) Ramsay is, or that elusive mythological creature known as 'Scharenberg', who haunts the halls of the Holden Centre (some have actually seen him), but he is holding down his position.

Interesting also to read above that Sinkers was drafted in 2009, so he's into his seventh year on our list. He has survived for that long for a reason.
perish the thought, naughty.... Giving any player an improvement tick under Nathan, how dare you

Williams, Ramsay, Keefe for depth.

The rest are cannon fodder/ trade bait - the majority of which should have been moved on at least a year ago but have survived due to poor list management metrics and injuries.
Interesting strategy.
I would have thought if you moved on 15 or 20 players in one fell swoop, there would be nobody left if we get say a few injuries.
That said, interesting strategy nonetheless. I'm not that bold.

Playing well, really well, earnt his spot.
Good on him.
Starting to get the most out of himself.
Credit to him.

Hey THATSGOLD I recall you saying a post of mine last week was disgraceful because I suggested dropping Sinclair. If you want to see what disgraceful looks like, here are some of your efforts on Sinclair over the years (2015-March 2016). I'm glad you're not our list manager.
He's been the biggest improver at the club. I was happy I was wrong on him because I'm nearly his biggest fan right now and just baffling some others haven't adjusted their thinking about him when he is now playing great footy.

well researched.

He's been the biggest improver at the club. I was happy I was wrong on him because I'm nearly his biggest fan right now and just baffling some others haven't adjusted their thinking about him when he is now playing great footy.
From ardent critic to ardent admirer in the space of weeks or months. It's quite a transformation given Sinkers, who has always played the role off HB pretty well and has had some stand out games previously when he got some continuity together, hasn't changed that much at all.

To think you were telling posters they needed new sets of glasses or shouldn't trust stats for praising a Sinclair game (when he had 17 disp, 6 marks, game high intercepts, plenty of run and 94% disposal efficiency that day) just a few months ago. Plenty of similar posts in the months following calling him shocking etc as Quicky quoted. Now here you are telling other posters their posting is disgraceful, should give up following football, should watch the footy instead of their phone etc all for posting relatively mild criticisms of Sinclair compared to your rants of a few weeks and months ago.

Sure this isn't just a new fun little game TG?

Last edited:
I'd like to think supporters can be objective.
No reason why you can't be critical of a player if he deserves it and then praise that same player if he shows he has worked on his issues and performs well.

I have been critical of Sinclair at times when he turns the ball over in situations when he hasn't been under pressure which has setback the team greatly.

However, the kid is running hard, using his speed and did a good job not turning the ball over on the weekend. Would love to see him continue to improve.

From ardent critic to ardent admirer in the space of weeks or months. It's quite a transformation given Sinkers, who has always played the role off HB pretty well and has had some stand out games previously when he got some continuity together, hasn't changed that much at all.

To think you were telling posters they needed new sets of glasses or shouldn't trust stats for praising a Sinclair game (when he had 17 disp, 6 marks, game high intercepts, plenty of run and 94% disposal efficiency that day) just a few months ago. Plenty of similar posts in the months following calling him shocking etc as Quicky quoted. Now here you are telling other posters their posting is disgraceful, should give up following football, should watch the footy instead of their phone etc all for posting relatively mild criticisms of Sinclair compared to your rants of a few weeks and months ago.

Sure this isn't just a new fun little game TG?
Your personal agender towards me is just sad now GC.

I'd like to think supporters can be objective.
No reason why you can't be critical of a player if he deserves it and then praise that same player if he shows he has worked on his issues and performs well.

I have been critical of Sinclair at times when he turns the ball over in situations when he hasn't been under pressure which has setback the team greatly.

However, the kid is running hard, using his speed and did a good job not turning the ball over on the weekend. Would love to see him continue to improve.
Spot on we are just calling a spade a spade or as some like to say a spud a spud, if that player has improved to the point he is no longer a spud then that's great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And to think that Sincs was once Buckley's love child and didn't warrant selection.

I haven't minded him in the team and at times when his disposal was questionable, I thought of Rhyce Shaw and I was a fan of his too.

Every team needs it's foot soldiers.

moving from deep defence has given him more time to use it better. his run is terrific.
Yep doesn't have to play that one on one role as much and now becomes more of an attacking half back who can deliver inside 50m. Hope that role continues. We are finding good roles for certain players now. Caff as a defensive forward I like also our back line structure is good with Brown Reid Howe Marsh deep in defense and Sinclair and Maynard running up the ground.
Also like Adams get back deep inside 50 to help.

Always liked Sinclair, added a bit to the team with his run and strong overhead for his size. His kicking since moving down back a few seasons ago has always been ok and he was ahead of many of his teammates through 2016. Not sure the last few weeks have been anything much different from the work he has done when fit and able to get a run at it over the last few seasons.Has had his continuity stopped by injury in 2014-15.

I think the first game he showed that strength overhead and run and carry through the lines combined with good delivery was round 2 v Sydney at ANZ 2014. He really stood up in the 2nd half that night when we came back at them then overran them. With continuity he can be a good contributor and a solid 16-22 type of player. With Marsh , Howe and maybe Williams back soon it gives the back 6 some run and carry we have missed for a while.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back